Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,274 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be going to school in Morgantown starting in June. We were there this weekend to look for an apartment and it was a terribly frustrating time as she couldn't send texts, recieve texts and had spotty service. We are thinking of switching carriers. Any hope that Verizon will have better service by this summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM

49 posts, read 107,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis 247 View Post
My daughter will be going to school in Morgantown starting in June. We were there this weekend to look for an apartment and it was a terribly frustrating time as she couldn't send texts, recieve texts and had spotty service. We are thinking of switching carriers. Any hope that Verizon will have better service by this summer?
Even thought Morgantown is in the "extended network" for Verizon Wireless there is actually very good voice service in Morgantown as they use US Cellular towers for voice and 1X data.

My wife and I live about a mile from the downtown campus and have no problems with texting or calling from our house and anywhere in the city. I suspect there is an issue with your extended network settings on your daughters pone.

Also from previous posts there are plans to put up a 4G tower right in downtown this summer, so that should be the beggining of the end of extended network in Morgantown.

Plans for Verizon Wireless 4G Service in Morgantown Underway - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM

70 posts, read 171,561 times
Default Finally LTE news for WV

Folks,

Still no flashes of 4G for Morgantown, Fairmont, or Clarksburg but LTE is on and will launch offically on June 21st for Huntington WV!!! Anyone else have any updates on NCWV????

Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrcp View Post
Folks,

Still no flashes of 4G for Morgantown, Fairmont, or Clarksburg but LTE is on and will launch offically on June 21st for Huntington WV!!! Anyone else have any updates on NCWV????

From this article posted May 29, Morgantown should have 4G soon, although I haven't seen any construction on top of hotel Morgan. I'll take a look today on my way home....

http://www.wboy.com/story/18647941/plans-for-verizon-wireless-4g-service-in-morgantown-moving-forward

Verizon Wireless customers in the Morgantown area will soon be surfing the Internet at 4G speeds.

The plans to erect three antennas are still moving along and construction could begin as soon as next week.

The antennas will be built on top of Hotel Morgan and will include a façade to keep the building aesthetically pleasing to the historic look of downtown.

"Well they pulled their building permits at the beginning of May and they're having, from what I understand a walk through Thursday and hopefully construction will start either next week or sometime in the middle of June," said Chris Fletcher, of Development Services.

The service will serve the greater Morgantown area and Hotel Morgan was picked because it is one of the tallest buildings in the city.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Default VZW 4G LTE in Morgantown

Folks,

For those of you in the Morgantown area with 4G devices, if VZW follows the same trends LTE will be turned on 2-3 weeks prior to the official launch. for the last 6 months they have been announcing major rollouts on the 21st of each month. I am not sure if they have started putting up equipment at the Hotel Morgan but if so LTE could be running soon!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 13,286 times
Default Update your Phone Roaming Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis 247 View Post
I faced this same issue when I moved to Morgantown from the DC Region. I called Verizon and was instructed to update my Roaming Settings on the phone. Basically, call *228 from a Verizon Wireless area (I had to drive to the PA line to get a signal) and have it update the programming of your phone. Once that is done you will have no issues using your device in Morgantown, (except for the slow service from US Cellular).

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Default Sporadic 3G being reported in Motown

Folks,

Sporadic 3G reported in the University city, and the next next 4G launch will be July 16th lets hope Morgantown will be on the launch list????

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Folks,

Sporadic 3G reported in the University city, and the next next 4G launch will be July 16th lets hope Morgantown will be on the launch list????
My bad the next launch is Thursday the 19th of July!!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
My bad the next launch is Thursday the 19th of July!!!!

Have you heard of any work done on the top of Hotel Morgan? I haven't seen anything, but I think that was the point, to have it blend in with the building.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieDukes View Post
Have you heard of any work done on the top of Hotel Morgan? I haven't seen anything, but I think that was the point, to have it blend in with the building.

MountieDukes,

Equipment is being installed and workers are scheduled to be at the Hotel until the end of the month, but could be completed much sooner!!! I am hearing some folks are seeing 3G on thier phones in morgantown as of last saturday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia