Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM

20 posts, read 59,884 times

Advertisements

AS of my March PRL update, my Verizon data service is bouncing wildly between 1x and 3G. I talked to tech support and they stated a lot of other people are having the same issue in the area.

We are guessing that upgrades have started, hopefully soon to LTE, and that the bouncing is just that not all the issues have been worked out for 3G coverage but it is here.

Anyone else having issues or that have some inside knowledge they can share at least about 3G coverage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,983,565 times
It's way past time for the Verizon upgrades in the Clarksburg-Morgantown area. The temporary inconvenience is worth the wait, because you'll be able to do a lot more with the upgraded service.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,277,111 times
It's the phones...they do not have 3G capibility.....

Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM

20 posts, read 59,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
It's the phones...they do not have 3G capibility.....
Huh??? All the most recent phones that Verizon has sold have 3G capability. My Droid 1 has 3G.

Not sure where you are getting that info.

I had someone confirm on another board that the latest PRL (preferred roaming list) does in fact add US Cellular as a data roaming partner. Maybe, they are going to switch off 1x in order to get some LTE equipment put in and use US Cellular in the interim.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 AM

70 posts, read 171,467 times
I Started noticing 3G/EVDO at specific points in Harrison county in mid January and February. When the PRL code changed in February to 52280 I started seeing the constant 3G/1Xrtt fluctuations like Ropeguru noticed from March until the present time. It's very frustrating and huge battery drain on my Droid X. Tech support actually suggested I switch my phone to home only until the upgrades are completed, but if you follow this advice make sure before traveling you switch back to automatic mode. Here is some solid facts that I have in regards to the Clarksburg/Bridgeport market:
1. At least one cell site in Mon & Marion Counties in the testing phase with LTE/EVDO.
2. 3 cell site's in Harrison county to have EVDO capabilities by the end of 2011. ( But I have been hearing this for three years so i will believe it when 3G is on my phone and functioning. )
3. Verizon has stated in press releases that LTE will be operational in markets where coverage did not previously exist, hence the towers in Mon & Marion Counties. It appears they will have excellent data services before Clarksburg/Bridgeport/Grafton!!!
4. VZW does not have an EVDO roaming agreement with USC in the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area at this time. Info obtained from a Tech Support rep. following up with me on a trouble ticket I filed on 3G fluctuations.

It does appear if we are patient LTE/EVDO will be here by the end of 2011 or early 2012. For more info go to vzw news and search WV press releases.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Angry Still no 3G in Clarksburg/Bridgeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropeguru View Post
Huh??? All the most recent phones that Verizon has sold have 3G capability. My Droid 1 has 3G.

Not sure where you are getting that info.

I had someone confirm on another board that the latest PRL (preferred roaming list) does in fact add US Cellular as a data roaming partner. Maybe, they are going to switch off 1x in order to get some LTE equipment put in and use US Cellular in the interim.

Have you heard anything more on the 1XRTT/EVDO issues in our area?? I am getting so frustrated ready to go back to US Cellular and actually get what i'm paying for. US Cell phones are a little behind but 3G coverage is excellent in the area!!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM

49 posts, read 107,334 times
Hey, I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has heard any new developments by Verizon to bring 4G/LTE or even 3G through USC to the morgantown/fairmont area. I moved to Morgantown from Virginia 2 years ago and while I have great phone reception with Verizon, it sucks paying for data with such slow speeds.

TIA

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,983,565 times
I think Verizon is still developing the network in NCWV. I'm told in a few months it will be in place.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Lte/3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think Verizon is still developing the network in NCWV. I'm told in a few months it will be in place.
Information from VZW is extremely hard to get but I have been told 3G would be in place for 3 years now!!!!! Just read a 2011 LTE rollout list last week that did not include any more WV markets. I have spoke with Coorporate employees at the Parkersburg store and employees at the Authorized retail location in Bridgeport. They both stated they have been told by the end of 2013. I believe we will see LTE, but it will be after it is rolled out to the majority of the country first. Verizon has just never had a real presence in the WV and it comes down to economics and infrastructure

Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Default 4g/3g

June 21, 2011
ROCKEFELLER APPLAUDS VERIZON FOR COMPLETING 4G LTE COVERAGE IN CHARLESTON

Senator Helped Win Verizon’s Promised Investment in West Virginia’s Communications Infrastructure

WASHINGTON, D.C.— Senator Jay Rockefeller today released the following statement following Verizon’s completion of a high-speed wireless network in Charleston:
“A high-tech communications network means more than faster download times,” said Rockefeller, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. “For thousands of West Virginians, it opens doors to real economic opportunities that might not otherwise exist in rural areas. Verizon has made a significant commitment to West Virginia, and I’m very happy they agreed with me that our state needs dependable, advanced wireless service.”
“Making sure West Virginia’s infrastructure is on the leading edge of technological advancement is one of my top priorities,” Rockefeller said. “That’s why I fought to secure nearly $180 million in grants and loans for West Virginia from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Along with Verizon’s multi-million dollar investment, West Virginia has benefitted from a private-public partnership of more than a half a billion dollars over the last year. That’s the type of smart investment we need to move our state forward.”
Background:
Rockefeller has consistently pressed for greater technology deployment in West Virginia, and was successful in getting company officials to agree to a $100 million investment in a 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE).
Scheduled for completion this year, Verizon’s expansion will cover nearly 65 percent of the state’s population with high speed wireless services. West Virginia will be the leading state for Verizon’s 4G deployment in markets where no previous 3G infrastructure existed.
Following the successful implementation of the 4G network in Charleston, Verizon’s 4G launch plans in West Virginia will eventually include Huntington, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Weirton, Beckley, Clarksburg, Morgantown, Fairmont and Martinsburg by the end of 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia