U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 AM

277 posts, read 37,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife5 View Post
Have been reading the NC forum, my son lives there, and WV. Because of the cold weather and my husbands two shoulder operations and now unable to shovel tons of snow, we know there is some snow. The cost of natural gas and electric and everything across the board kills you. So, I and my husband are possibly wanting to move to a state where we will be welcomed. Anyone have negative experience being accepted ? I read so much about being a Yankee. I have lived in Florida when I was younger, I had some one tell me, I sounded like a yankee, but I did not have the same personality, I wasnt sure how to take this. Positive I hope.
We are from the Rochester NY area, small finger lakes area, a few hours east of Buffalo..
We are peaceful, easy going people who want to be able to say hi, carry on a conversation, have people over once in a while, and be respectful to others and expect the same.
Am I dreaming? Are those days long gone ?
Define "accepted"? West Virginians, typically, are an okay lot of people to deal with. I suppose it determines what area of West Virginia you are living in. I would suggest places like the Eastern Panhandle, near Washington and Baltimore (I am thinking Sheperdstown), maybe south of Morgantown, like Fairmont or Salem, there is also Point Pleasant (very historic town and home of the Mothman), Parkersburg, and Huntington. Huntington is a big time University town, but I am sure there is something there for everyone. I know little about Charleston. I am not a big person on state capitals because there is just too much government there for me to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I've never heard anyone called a "yankee" in my life. It would be kinda counterproductive. You do know WV specifically LEFT the Confederacy, right? The state is like a huge meltingpot of culture. Midwestern near Parkersburg, Southern near Beckley, people say "you'uns" like they were born and raised in Pittsburgh near Wheeling...you won't be given any guff for having an accent or anything like that...

Yeah, I know and Virginia is still p'ed off about that one. ;O)

Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I grew up in Charleston WV and trust me, you won't ever hear about "the war" up there as referenced to the Civil War. Back home when someone talked about "the war" they meant WWII. Now, I live in Atlanta. Atlanta proper is mostly transplants from everywhere, but when you get out to the farther burbs here you hear "yankee this" and "yankee that", and there are even some who will talk about how the South will rise again - I mean, like scary.

It's not even enough that you remember people who fell in any war here - they have a separate "confederate veterans day" and there's a group that regularly marches around the capital building here wearing confederate uniforms demanding that the confederate stars and stripes be put back up on the state flag.

It was and still is a definate culture shock. Whereas West Virginians have more of a "remember the past but live in the present" attitude, people here have more of a "the past 'aint dead yet" mentality. You just won't have to worry about that in WV.

Look at areas in-between Huntington and Charleston... there's been a lot of development in those suburban areas, and you would be no more than a 22 mile drive from *either* of the two cities.
Charlotte, NC was a culture shock for me too. "The South will rise again". Pure hogwash. We made the best decision in 1863. We got out of that sinking ship and stayed nuetral the entire time. West Virginia and Kentucky was both smart to just watch the two sides duke it out.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
When I'm in WV people constantly ask me where I'm from and sometimes call me a yankee because of my accent, but none of it to my knowledge has ever been out of prejudice or hate-mostly because of curiosity. Same thing happens when I go to NC. Funny thing is I'm originally from WV and am here for a pit stop now. I guess Ontario really rubbed off on me.

People think I am from Philly or New Jersey. I only lived in that general area for 2 years. When I lived in Charlotte, I was called a "Yankee" more than once. I did not have the heart to tell them that I lived 30 minutes south of Mason Dixon Line.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 AM

59 posts, read 183,603 times
So how is West Virginia for retired persons on a fixed income , are they tax friendly at all , do they give any breaks for seniors on taxes , be it property or intangable interest & dividends they receive ?? Thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia