Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,922 times

Advertisements

Snorpus,
What part of Wetzel County did you live? I played some high school football games in Hundred and Pine Grove in the 1960s, and later met some very good friends from New Martinsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Snorpus,
what part of Wetzel County?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Hi Furmanfan,

Nice to meet you. I grew up in Pine Grove, graduated from Valley H.S. in 1967. Came to Pa. to go to college, stayed here to work after college. I was just back in Pine Grove last month, in fact... a bunch of us from the Class of '67 got together to start planning our 40th Reunion next year.

Where do you hail from?

Regards,
snorpus

Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Snorpus,
How long did you live in Wetzel County? I've been to Hundred, Pine Grove and New Martinsville, and have some old college friends who went to Magnolia High in the mid-1960s.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM

35 posts, read 174,535 times
HI there. I am living in Martinsburg, WV but I am from Montana. I'll switch you all! I miss Montana. Where else can you breathe free, have icicles hanginmg from your nose in Sept etc... West Va is somewhat backwards. Can't quite figure it out!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 AM

27 posts, read 107,097 times
Default Land in WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_hoopie View Post
Hi wvrose, I too am new to this forum, and a relocated wv native. I am currently living in the repressive, restictive state of Utah. Born annd raised in the north end of the state, Chester, I have just purchased some land down south in the Bluefield area. Maybe someday I'll get to move there.
wv_hoopie
Hi WV_hoopie,
I have heard that expression here in Montana by one person (hoopie)
I am very happy you have your land to go home to when you are ready. That is a big step. And you will get back home when the time is right. Don't want too long.
I had land in WV and regret very much letting it go. Now, after living here in Montana 16 years later, land is much higher in cost in WV and harder to acquire. I am wanting a couple acres of my own (2-5) and plan to put a nice Mobile home on it until I can build. I want in the area of Pocahontas CO or Barbour CO. , my old stumping grounds. Or may consider some other area if price is right and it is pure country.
Did you go back and look for land or buy from a distance?
Look forward to hearing from you on the Forum,,,WVrose

Old 10-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Default WV backwards in what ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
HI there. I am living in Martinsburg, WV but I am from Montana. I'll switch you all! I miss Montana. Where else can you breathe free, have icicles hanginmg from your nose in Sept etc... West Va is somewhat backwards. Can't quite figure it out!
Hi Lizziep
In thinking about your comment and view of WV, I am wondering in What way is WV backwards to you? WV is my home state. I have some thoughts to share with you that may perhaps help you figure it out as you stated.
Montana is a lovely state. I live in the lovely town of Polson. (Lake CO) and after living here for 16 yrs. I have found some differences in the people and government views which I have not been able to adjust to. Much different from WV. I believe that is found in most states. And when we are new to a state, it takes time to come to understand people and places.
Anyway, look forward to hearing from you. ,,, wvrose

Old 10-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Hi wvrose,

I'm a native of Wetzel County, currently living in Pennsylvania, but my mother was born and reared in Marlinton, she met my father when he was in the CCC working at Watoga State Park. My grandparents lived in Marlinton, and I remember visiting them for holidays and summer vacations. I'm another one who, as retirement approaches, is hearing the call. My girlfriend and I have about 4 acres 15 miles south of Marlinton, on which we plan to build in the near future.

Marlinton itself is located along the Greenbrier River, and seems to experience pretty severe flooding about once every 10 years or so. That's probably true for the entire Greenbrier River valley. But the valley is narrow, and there's lots of places that sit well above (as in from a few hundred to a thousand feet above) the flood plain.

In several visits to Marlinton and Pocahontas County over the last few years, we've found it to be a nice, friendly, small town. Enough retail commerce for day to day living (2 grocery stores, a drug store, dollar store, 2 or 3 banks, etc.), but for big-city chains you'll have to drive an hour or so to Lewisburg (south) or Elkins (north).

Regards,
snorpus

Hi Snorpus, wvrose here. Thank you so much for telling me more about Marlinton. You answered some questions I had about the town and flooding. I thought I would look for "high ground" for sure if I move there. I have been planning on this for 2 years so far. I love small towns. Don't want big chain stores, etc. If I do want to shop Wal-mart I can travel for that day. I am very familiar with Elkins. I used to go there for shopping and eating out etc, when I lived in Barbour CO. WV.
I just noticed in the Marlinton Newspaper, that they had a spell where they were told to 'boil' their water. So I figure they had some hard rains if not a flood. I remember we had to do that once in awhile when I was home in WV. That can happen anywhere you live, in the country especially.
When's the last time you visited Marlinton? I am happy for you that you have your land in WV. It will be wonderful for you when you move back. **I had a wonderful home and land 16 years ago there in WV. I regret very much giving it up and moving here.
I am wanting to get 2-5 acres in WV. again. I am looking for a place that has a livable mobile home on it with land. Would be best for me since I will be living alone. My sons live here in Montana and won't move back. They finished growin' up here and are attached to Montana. I have lots of friends in WV. It will be great to be home again. "Country roads, take me hommmme, to the place I belonggggg."
Well, Snorpus, one of these days we will heed the "call of them thar hills" huh. Take care now, wvrose

Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Default Wetzel and Pocahontas Counties

Hi furmanfan,
I lived in Pine Grove until the summer of 1967. That summer my parents retired to Florida, and I came north to attend college.

Hi wvrose,
Let's see, in the last year I think we've spent 3 long weekends plus the entire week between Christmas and New Years in Watoga State Park (10 mi south of Marlinton). Most recently last June.

The water problem could have been a pump or other equipment failure at the water plant. Haven't seen anything about why they had to boil water, just the announcement in the Pocahontas Times that the advisory was being lifted.

FYI, the price for a few acres is generally in the $4K-6K per acre range, up to $10-12K for riverfront lots. Prices in or near the Snoeshoe ski area, of course, are much higher.

Regards,
Snorpus

Old 10-22-2006, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Hi, Brand new to this forum. . We are living in San Diego Ca. since 83. Have a great home here near the pacific. I lived in northern VA. and visited mainly the N. E. part of West VA. This month we have decided to move to West VA. Where we have no idea. Anyone wishing to buy my home great.

We are soon driving their within two-three weeks. Can anyone one give us some guidance? Some places to consider? We'd like to consider any place that you folks believe has some charm. Were looking for some land, a ranch type home that isn't more then five years old. I see their maybe some lakes with waterfront property.

My concern is not being near areas that are exploding. I'm concerned about county taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia