U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,230,273 times

Advertisements

Once you get into PA you can save 20 minutes off your trip if you take those new toll roads, but it is going to cost you a few dollars. I dont like how PA put that toll booth right at the border, and nowhere else along the interstate. It is an enter/exit PA tax. And also didnt PA screw WV over on that highway and refuse to build part of it because they were afraid it would lead to increased economic development in WV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 AM

68 posts, read 70,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Once you get into PA you can save 20 minutes off your trip if you take those new toll roads, but it is going to cost you a few dollars. I dont like how PA put that toll booth right at the border, and nowhere else along the interstate. It is an enter/exit PA tax. And also didnt PA screw WV over on that highway and refuse to build part of it because they were afraid it would lead to increased economic development in WV?
Each section has a mainline toll plaza. The one you are referring to is located about 5 miles north of the state line. When the MFE opens to I-68 next month, you'll be able to go toll-free from I-68 in West Virginia to the Gans Road interchange (Exit 2) in Pennsylvania.

I never heard of outcry in PA over the possibility of increased economic development in WVdue to this road. In fact, there is a 2 mile stretch of highway (south of Gans Road) in PA that has been unusable for over a decade because West Virginia did very little work on its section until 2008 or so.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 AM

939 posts, read 1,882,910 times
If anything, I can see this helping towns like Uniontown and Brownsville by making it closer to a more economically viable area like Morgantown. I could see Uniontown becoming more of a bedroom community for Morgantown because of the completion (finally) of this road.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM

6,890 posts, read 5,402,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually, that is not correct. In fact, unfortunately our state has the only discriminatory toll system of which I am aware. They hike fees on out of state users of the turnpike, a practice I believe would be declared Unconstitutional if anybody were ever to take it to Federal court.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
If anything, I can see this helping towns like Uniontown and Brownsville by making it closer to a more economically viable area like Morgantown. I could see Uniontown becoming more of a bedroom community for Morgantown because of the completion (finally) of this road.
It will help Uniontown, Brownsville, and Morgantown too. It will make transport between all these areas, NCWV in general and even southern West Virginia more accessable to a major metropolitan area thus aiding development. It is long overdue and a win-win for everyone... especially the State of West Virginia since their portion of the expenditure is very modest in comparison with that of PA. It will be especially helpful to the burgeoning Morgantown retail sector and to WVU research development since it will tie it into the highly viable Pittsburgh research establishment in a more direct manner, making cooperative endeavors more likely.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM

68 posts, read 70,090 times
More people from Morgantown may come to Uniontown to shop since we do not charge sales tax on food or clothing. That can help quite a bit when you go school shopping and whatnot.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM

I think that is true. You will see some of that but you will also see folks from Uniontown taking advantage of the readily available healthcare options in Morgantown (I see that happening now) as well as restaurants and other activities. And, you will see more commercial interaction both ways adding increased competition with lower prices for everyone.

There is a flip side to everything, and while PA doesn't have sales tax on some items (or income tax on pensions... which is nice), they have some of the highest property taxes on the country. Increased access will provide incentive for some businesses to take advantage of our lower property tax rates.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,512,088 times
I came through the I-68/Toll-43 intersection Monday evening on my way back from Blackwater Falls, and the intersection is partially open. From Westbound I-68, you now take the new exit to I-43, but then you must exit at I-43 Exit 1 in Cheat Lake, which puts you back onto 857 as always.

But it looks like there's very little work remaining to be done.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 AM

It's going to be really nice, but they need to put up better signage on I68 that identifys it as the Mon-Fayette Expressway rather than just by route number, and that lists Uniontown and Pittsburgh as destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia