Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM

97 posts, read 766,396 times

Advertisements

I moved away from the Elkins area (Valley Bend) about 7 years ago, and when I left, the city was growing a little. I remember throughout the 90's, the south side of Elkins grew the most, with Wal-Mart being built in 1990. Then after that, K-Mart moved out of the Tygart Valley Mall to be near Wal-Mart. Then Food Lion came, then Burger King, Dairy Queen, etc. Last time I was there was in 2004, the old Wal-Mart became a super Wal-Mart.

But anyway, what I was wondering was, has anything changed with Elkins? Is there any new stores or restaurants there? I do know that Corridor H isn't finished yet, which is unfortunate. However, I hope the city is still doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM

55 posts, read 235,798 times
The farm next to walmart (approx 40 acres) sold and is being developed. I believe it is a Hampton Inn currently being built. Applebees opened out in front of the K-mart. New Tractor Supply store across the street from the bank on that same corner. And Davis Trust is currently building a branch across from 84 Lumber where the car dealership used to be.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Snowshoe mentioned several great points, however forgot to mention the development of the former CSX Railyard behind the train depot. That area is being developed around the new tourist train that boards there and takes you through Bowden, Bemis, and then to the High Falls of Cheat River. A new Holiday Inn Express was built near the depot, The American Mountain Theater is now located close by, and offers musical shows, theatrical performances. A restaurant/gift shop is also being built, as well as several medical office buildings due to the proximity of Davis Memorial Hospital. Also a Wal Green's was built at the corner of Railroad Avenue & Randolph Avenue.

North Randolph Avenue to the Corridor H exit has seen some new businesses and development. I'm assuming that in the next 5-10 years that area will be developed due to the proximity to downtown and Corridor H.

As snowshoe mentioned earlier the Beverly 5-Lane is still the commercial center for Elkins where most of the new businesses have located or will be locating.

Elkins is growing and doing quite well. The excursion train is really doing wonders for the downtown area. Elkins is trying to grow by actually annexing the people who already pretty much live in Elkins but are not in the city limits. Which is why on paper only has a population of around 7,000 but is serving about 14,000 people within a few miles of the city limits. That puts so much strain on infrastructure and funding for necessities. The city limits have never been significantly adjusted to follow the population trends. Glenmore, Highland Park, Woodbridge, the area near 3rd ward, the whole entire Beverly 5 lane (city limits stop at McDonalds), and several other areas that many people consider "Elkins" are not in the city limits. Small business owners are trying to fight annexation because they are afraid of paying B&O taxes. I would solve that problem by cutting off their city water, fire & police protection, etc. They are getting the benefits of the city's population and services while not having to pay for the city's costs or expenses.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoemtnman View Post
The farm next to walmart (approx 40 acres) sold and is being developed. I believe it is a Hampton Inn currently being built. Applebees opened out in front of the K-mart. New Tractor Supply store across the street from the bank on that same corner. And Davis Trust is currently building a branch across from 84 Lumber where the car dealership used to be.
About time Elkins got an Applebees. I think they needed one for a long time. I wish there was one when I was there. Last time, in 2004, when I came back to visit Elkins, I noticed Shoney's went out of business. What ever happened to that building?

You mean Vision Automotive went under too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn
Elkins is growing and doing quite well. The excursion train is really doing wonders for the downtown area. Elkins is trying to grow by actually annexing the people who already pretty much live in Elkins but are not in the city limits. Which is why on paper only has a population of around 7,000 but is serving about 14,000 people within a few miles of the city limits. That puts so much strain on infrastructure and funding for necessities. The city limits have never been significantly adjusted to follow the population trends. Glenmore, Highland Park, Woodbridge, the area near 3rd ward, the whole entire Beverly 5 lane (city limits stop at McDonalds), and several other areas that many people consider "Elkins" are not in the city limits. Small business owners are trying to fight annexation because they are afraid of paying B&O taxes. I would solve that problem by cutting off their city water, fire & police protection, etc. They are getting the benefits of the city's population and services while not having to pay for the city's costs or expenses.
I would really love to see the city annex these communities, and I agree, they should cut off their city water, fire & police protection, etc., If they don't want to be in the city limits. Would Crystal Springs be included as well?

Thanks for all the info guys. I hope I can get back up there soon.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM

55 posts, read 235,798 times
Yep. Vision Automotive Group is gone. That is where the new bank is being built.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoemtnman View Post
Yep. Vision Automotive Group is gone. That is where the new bank is being built.
So, there's no more Chrysler/Jeep dealer in Elkins?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Punk View Post
So, there's no more Chrysler/Jeep dealer in Elkins?
No, not anymore. But Tygart Valley Motors picked up Subaru though. ha ha The old Shoneys was remodeled and made into a huge Pizza Hut.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
No, not anymore. But Tygart Valley Motors picked up Subaru though. ha ha The old Shoneys was remodeled and made into a huge Pizza Hut.
My dad always liked Scotts Auto sales better, anyway.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM

We've never purchased a vehicle from either of them. A few trucks from Fordland, a VW from Star in Clarksburg, and BMW's from South Hills BMW in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby "The Punk" Wells View Post
I moved away from the Elkins area (Valley Bend) about 7 years ago, and when I left, the city was growing a little. I remember throughout the 90's, the south side of Elkins grew the most, with Wal-Mart being built in 1990. Then after that, K-Mart moved out of the Tygart Valley Mall to be near Wal-Mart. Then Food Lion came, then Burger King, Dairy Queen, etc. Last time I was there was in 2004, the old Wal-Mart became a super Wal-Mart.

But anyway, what I was wondering was, has anything changed with Elkins? Is there any new stores or restaurants there? I do know that Corridor H isn't finished yet, which is unfortunate. However, I hope the city is still doing well.
Do you know anyone related to anyone in Pumpkintown, West Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia