U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM

6,275 posts, read 4,454,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Wrong on all counts. The road was supposed to go all the way to Pittsburgh, but businesses complained they would lose out to WV so it only goes to Uniontown.

If it went all the way to Pittsburgh it would reduce the time by 30 minutes making Pittsburgh to Morgantown an hour long commute. People from Burgh would relocate to Morgantown. It doesnt matter Morgantown will thrive despite the best efforts of the WV government and PA governments trying to hinder it.
It seems entirely possible that development of the last section is being delayed because folks in Pittsburgh don't want to see any developments that would expedite the outflow of people and jobs, but in the long run it will be completed. For every job or person lost in Pittsburgh, there is one gained in Uniontown, Brownsville, or Morgantown. There will be as much pressure to complete it as there will be to hinder it.

Even taking everything else out of the equation, Pittsburgh needs it to aleviate some of the traffic pressure on the tunnels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 AM

Pennsylvania State Senator Richard Kasunic, D-32 (Uniontown) ... said the area that encompasses Morgantown and Uniontown is one big neighborhood anyway. ... "Our socioeconomic ties are virtually the same," he said, as he stood on the Pennsylvania side of the expressway. A lot of our people work at the hospitals in Morgantown. Just as many of our kids go to WVU as they do Pitt. ... The concrete of the new expressway cements that geographic bond even more."

Article - W.Va. leg of Mon-Fayette Expressway opens

Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 7,561,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I-79 takes people way out on the west side of Pittsburgh, miles from the notorious tunnels.
Yeah, a whole five miles west of the Fort Pitt Tunnels. Take a look at the exit renumbering on I-376. I-79 is Exit 64, and the exits at the western end of the Fort Pitt Tunnel are Exits 69A-B. The exit from I-79 onto I-376 is Exit 59A, so downtown Pittsburgh is 65 miles from the West Virginia state line via I-376 and I-79. From downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Morgantown would be somewhere between 70 and 75 miles.

Meanwhile, the exit for PA 51 on the Mon-Fayette Expressway is Exit 54, and the unbuilt segment of the highway near Pittsburgh would be another 12 miles or so. If that segment gets built, then the Mon-Fayette Expressway would be 66 miles long in Pennsylvania, and place you on I-376 three miles east of downtown Pittsburgh, so that'd be 69 miles just to get to the West Virginia state line. To get from downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Morgantown via I-376, the Mon-Fayette Expressway and I-68 would be between 75 and 80 miles.

I seriously doubt that creating a second route between Pittsburgh and Morgantown that's five miles longer than the original route is going to the business floodgates into West Virginia. Besides, if businesses were going to forsake Pittsburgh and relocate into West Virginia, then they'd be relocating to Weirton, which is only 35 miles west of downtown Pittsburgh via U.S. 22. Hell, even Wheeling is closer to Pittsburgh than Morgantown is.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM

3,151 posts, read 2,802,586 times
Quote:
Wrong on all counts. The road was supposed to go all the way to Pittsburgh, but businesses complained they would lose out to WV so it only goes to Uniontown
Yes some people complained, but that is NOT the reason why the section has not been completed. Unlike the vast majority of the rest of the highway, the sections around Pittsburgh involve a lot of acquiring of land etc. The cost is extremely high (and as always nobody wants their house etc to be the one purchased nor do many people want the highway in their backyard - so yeah opposition in that regard) but ultimately high costs that PA doesn't have.

WV is a lot smaller and can allocate fund much easier and of course never had to deal with acquiring land in highly developed areas.

Quote:
I-79 takes people way out on the west side of Pittsburgh, miles from the notorious tunnels.
Only a few miles, it's close enough and also allows for such travelers to just easily get to the airport (or western suburban shopping etc).

Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, a whole five miles west of the Fort Pitt Tunnels. Take a look at the exit renumbering on I-376. I-79 is Exit 64, and the exits at the western end of the Fort Pitt Tunnel are Exits 69A-B. The exit from I-79 onto I-376 is Exit 59A, so downtown Pittsburgh is 65 miles from the West Virginia state line via I-376 and I-79. From downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Morgantown would be somewhere between 70 and 75 miles.

Meanwhile, the exit for PA 51 on the Mon-Fayette Expressway is Exit 54, and the unbuilt segment of the highway near Pittsburgh would be another 12 miles or so. If that segment gets built, then the Mon-Fayette Expressway would be 66 miles long in Pennsylvania, and place you on I-376 three miles east of downtown Pittsburgh, so that'd be 69 miles just to get to the West Virginia state line. To get from downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Morgantown via I-376, the Mon-Fayette Expressway and I-68 would be between 75 and 80 miles.

I seriously doubt that creating a second route between Pittsburgh and Morgantown that's five miles longer than the original route is going to the business floodgates into West Virginia. Besides, if businesses were going to forsake Pittsburgh and relocate into West Virginia, then they'd be relocating to Weirton, which is only 35 miles west of downtown Pittsburgh via U.S. 22. Hell, even Wheeling is closer to Pittsburgh than Morgantown is.
Wheeling is closer, and Weirton far closer still. So what? Nobody wants to hang out in Pittsburgh all the time. That's why thousands of folks are leaving it. We just want to go there once in awhile. The jobs are leaving the Burgh with or without the Expressway, but at least with the road folks will want to go there from time to time.

I don't know where you're getting your figures, but the mileage estimate I've seen for the completed Mon Fayette is around 70 miles. In any event, that five miles from I79 through the tunnels is a a lot more than 5 minutes much of the day. If you live there, you know that. Traffic builds up all the way up the hill before the tunnels. And, for our locals who are unfortunate enough to be stuck working in the Burgh getting back through during rush hour... forget about it. That can easily take more than a half hour just to get out to 79. Many healthcare folks have to use the Parkway East and it is a project just to get on the bridge, let alone through the tunnels. The Mon Fayette to 376 connection will be a major improvement.

We don't want the floodgates opened with Pittsburgh moving here. We have NO desire to become a craphole big city. We want slow, consistent, measured growth just like we are getting, and we want to basically maintain the college town flavor that makes this a great place to live. It will be a big plus to be able to get the grandkids to Kennywood without the tunnels and Parkway, but you can keep many aspects of Pittsburgh right there where they are... especially your Hill District.

I went to a store in Uniontown yesterday and talked with the clerk there. She said folks in Uniontown are excited about the expressway being completed because it makes it much easier for them to get to quality healthcare, and for their college student kids to get to Morgantown and back. You are going to see greatly increased traffic both ways with the road now, because before it even though it was only 20 miles to Uniontown, the road was a winding, hilly two lane mess. Now it is an easy drive. It is a win-win both ways.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM

385 posts, read 333,017 times
That last leg to 376 is vital! Easier access to Kennywood and bypassing congested tunnels is definitely a win for the people of North Central West Virginia, but the Mon-Fayette Expressway will also benefit NCWV by providing a more direct route from the burgeoning east end of the Morgantown metro to Pittsburgh. I can't tell you how many of my professors have complained about the fact that they can't get from their suburban homes in Cheat Lake to Pittsburgh without going halfway to Fairmont first, due to the fact the I-68 changes direction and starts heading south about ten miles before the I-79 interchange.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,188,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
That last leg to 376 is vital! Easier access to Kennywood and bypassing congested tunnels is definitely a win for the people of North Central West Virginia, but the Mon-Fayette Expressway will also benefit NCWV by providing a more direct route from the burgeoning east end of the Morgantown metro to Pittsburgh. I can't tell you how many of my professors have complained about the fact that they can't get from their suburban homes in Cheat Lake to Pittsburgh without going halfway to Fairmont first, due to the fact the I-68 changes direction and starts heading south about ten miles before the I-79 interchange.
Dream on. They've been talking about that last section through the South Hills for 10-15 years, and it will easily be 10 more years before it's completed, if it ever is.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Like anything else, it will be completed when the politicos can figure out a way to either make some money out of it or pad their cronies pocketbooks for political payback.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM

68 posts, read 63,406 times
A friend and I used it yesterday evening to get to Archie's Lakehouse at Cheat Lake. It only took 15 minutes to drive from Uniontown to Cheat Lake!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,506,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith022968 View Post
A friend and I used it yesterday evening to get to Archie's Lakehouse at Cheat Lake. It only took 15 minutes to drive from Uniontown to Cheat Lake!
Is that the one at the Marina? Nice place for a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia