U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 PM

71,516 posts, read 29,555,539 times

Advertisements

I've just got to ***** a bit......There has been a good bit of news in the Wood COunty area about how overzealous the Health Dept has been in having people arrested for allowing smoking in local establishments.

Well here is a new one. Last weekend the Volunteer Fire Dept in Williamstown held their annual ice cream social to raise funds to maintain the Fire Dept. This social is a big fund raiser for them and has been going on for years.

It seems the health dept fined the VFD for get this......not having enough porta johns. I don't know how many there were BUT there were quite a few. As many as normal. I really doubt this official was able to take any sort of official count. They couldn't have simply informed them that next year they need a few more?

Williamstown is a small town and most people walk to the social. They live close by and wouldn't need the facilities anyway. Nobody was peeing behind the tree's.

Seriously, taking money from a VFD for something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,047,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've just got to ***** a bit......There has been a good bit of news in the Wood COunty area about how overzealous the Health Dept has been in having people arrested for allowing smoking in local establishments.

Well here is a new one. Last weekend the Volunteer Fire Dept in Williamstown held their annual ice cream social to raise funds to maintain the Fire Dept. This social is a big fund raiser for them and has been going on for years.

It seems the health dept fined the VFD for get this......not having enough porta johns. I don't know how many there were BUT there were quite a few. As many as normal. I really doubt this official was able to take any sort of official count. They couldn't have simply informed them that next year they need a few more?

Williamstown is a small town and most people walk to the social. They live close by and wouldn't need the facilities anyway. Nobody was peeing behind the tree's.

I agree with you, but this is a new low from Charleston. The fire dept, health dept, inspectors always seem to be active in Northern WV, but never in the southern part of the state. If robbing the northern part of the state of tax revenue, and not giving them any funds wasnt bad enough know they are sending out these scum to take more. Im not surprised they would go after the VFD.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM

71,516 posts, read 29,555,539 times
To further this. I guess the official told the VFD that they had to pay the fine on the spot or he would shut them down. WHen asked for a reciept the official said they could get one on Monday.

I haven't found out whether they got one or not yet. Not way this can be legit.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
To further this. I guess the official told the VFD that they had to pay the fine on the spot or he would shut them down. WHen asked for a reciept the official said they could get one on Monday.

I haven't found out whether they got one or not yet. Not way this can be legit.
Charleston will do anything for a little bit of money. The economy there has been tanking and they need to leech more of the North than they are legally allowed to by taxation. So they resort to this.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,273,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Charleston will do anything for a little bit of money. The economy there has been tanking and they need to leech more of the North than they are legally allowed to by taxation. So they resort to this.
You seem to have selected a quite appropriate screen name for yourself.

How is Charleston (a city mind you) stealing money from the north?

I could see if you are referring to a government institution or a specific person, but you never seem to mention specifically what you mean, you only keep saying "Charleston".

Now, if you are indeed referring to the WV State Gov (and not a city in general), then why would the North's own elected leaders allow this to happen, and remain quiet about it? Then you might want to refocus your question towards the people of the north. "Hey, why are our elected leaders from the north allowing the majority of the elected leaders from the south to rape and pillage our village?"

Where are the boundaries? Surely you have some imaginary lines that are drawn across WV to divide us up into two states. What hapens if the Braxton County Monster is stuck in the south, will he need a passport to visit his relatives in Gassaway?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,273,957 times
Quote:

I agree, this does seem very petty. Local VFD's all over WV and the country depend on these types of fundraisers. Hopefully there is a better explanation for all of this. Has this hit the media yet?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM

4,946 posts, read 6,476,968 times
I've been trying to tell him that for the last month, but he still holds onto the clueless blame!

And I still don't know if we are talking about our state health dept. or Wood County's?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
You seem to have selected a quite appropriate screen name for yourself.

How is Charleston (a city mind you) stealing money from the north?

I could see if you are referring to a government institution or a specific person, but you never seem to mention specifically what you mean, you only keep saying "Charleston".

Now, if you are indeed referring to the WV State Gov (and not a city in general), then why would the North's own elected leaders allow this to happen, and remain quiet about it? Then you might want to refocus your question towards the people of the north. "Hey, why are our elected leaders from the north allowing the majority of the elected leaders from the south to rape and pillage our village?"

Where are the boundaries? Surely you have some imaginary lines that are drawn across WV to divide us up into two states. What hapens if the Braxton County Monster is stuck in the south, will he need a passport to visit his relatives in Gassaway?
Charleston, the city, doesnt steal from Northern WV, but it benefits from the theft of income from the North. Do you see Mon county pays a lot in taxes to Charleston and only gets a pittance in return. That is because we are subsidizing Southern WV, which generates very little income receives as a percentage of funding much more than Northern counties. When it comes time to build infrastructure it occurs in the Southern part of the state, in Kanawa county, and around Huntington.

Morgantown politicians do fight the good fight, but there is the Charleston machine. Charleston has formed an alliance with all Southern WV counties, who kowtow to Charleston in return for increased funding. They make sure they get pork barrel projects, infrastructure, and a budget several times what they deserve. The politicos see the rise of Morgantown as a threat to the Charleston machine and do everything they can to hinder the growth and development of Morgantown.

Only 2 counties are growing in this state, and Morgantown is one of them. the other one, forget the name, is the one in the very eastern panhandle which is increasingly becoming part of the DC metro area. Our counties have great economies, which are increasingly at a rapid rate. We deserve infrastructure to accommodate all the people moving to our counties.

I have nothing against Charleston itself, or the people there. Take the state government out of the picture, and you are left with an ugly and boring city. I wouldnt want to live there, but I have no reason to hate it. What I hate is the state government. I refer to it as Charleston just like people refer to the Federal government as DC.

As for where Southern WV starts. I would say around Parkersburg. Just north or south of it. Parkersburg needs to decide if it wants to build a prosperous WV with Morgantown, or to stay stuck in a past and decay in the present with Charleston. I think increasingly Parkersburg is looking to Morgantown. This line is not set in stone because it varies by county, but you get the picture.

All I want is a fair share of the pie for all of WV, less bureaucracy from Charleston, and lower taxes from Charleston if they arent going to provide goods and services to the actual taxpayers. Morgantown needs infrastructure in Mon county not in Southern WV, and welfare in Southern WV/Charleston.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM

12,072 posts, read 29,640,886 times
I am wondering IF the HD Offical was Real! Sounds like a ScammerI can see a ticket & them having to take care of that during a work day! But to Demand the Money NOW & Refuse to give them a reciept!! Seems like they should have told them Get more Potties here by XX time or Close it up! Cause a Fine & letting them continue doesnt make sence either!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM

416 posts, read 629,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Charleston, the city, doesnt steal from Northern WV, but it benefits from the theft of income from the North. Do you see Mon county pays a lot in taxes to Charleston and only gets a pittance in return. That is because we are subsidizing Southern WV, which generates very little income receives as a percentage of funding much more than Northern counties. When it comes time to build infrastructure it occurs in the Southern part of the state, in Kanawa county, and around Huntington.

Do you have any supporting data? I keep seeing this being thrown out there but have yet to see any numbers. Not accusing you of fabrication, just interested in the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia