U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,065,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
If a particular area believes they need more money they can always do what Charleston and Huntington have done... and which Fairmont is considering... Instituting a user fee.
They tried that up in Mon County but they wanted the user fee to be county wide and then only go to projects in the city limits of the main city. It was shot down overwhelmingly. I think gives you an idea of what they would like on a state level too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Status: "Okay. This is the one I meant to post." (set 14 days ago)

5,895 posts, read 4,026,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Just wanted to clarify a few of the points this user made here... For those of you who do not know.

No where in WV is growing rapidly. Berkelely and Jefferson come close but there counties are not throwing up 200 homes every few weeks like areas of AZ, NV, NC, GA, and FL before the housing bust. They are both in the top 100 fastest growing counties in the USA but rank in the 80's. Berkeley having grown around 35% I believe between 2000 - 2010. In my opinion they are growing very comfortably, to keep pace with a growing economy, populace, educational needs, etc.

The user is failing to mention the fact that the state recently gave millions in assistance to help construct a Macys warehouse in Berkeley County in the EP that will create 1,200 permanent, 700 seasonal, + tertiary jobs created in the area, in addition to construction jobs. Also the Mon-Fayette Expressway just opened off Cheat Lake near Morgantown, funded by the state and federal govt. Lets not forget about the Highlands in Wheeling which was funded by the state as well. Funding was also given to Rue 21 to expand a distribution facility in Wheeling to help create and secure jobs.

No where in WV is cosmopolitan... unless you're on the lawn at the Greenbrier. Which is half the casual charm of WV. To allude that Morgantown is more cosmopolitan, and has more in common with Pittsburgh is simply redic. Morgantown is over an hour from Pittsburgh... not too far for better shopping and concerts, but the small ring of cosmopolitan characteristics that Pittsburgh has does not reach Morgantown. Same with Martinsburg and DC... That is why people are moving there, to escape DC, not continue to live in DC society.
Agreed that nowhere is the state growing "rapidly" like the building boom in Las Vegas, for example. We don't want that here in Morgantown... the boom and bust cycles and so forth. We have had a measured growth that has spanned more than a decade, continued through what amounts to an economic depression, and is ongoing at the present time. That is the only way we can maintain our town's essential character and prosper at the same time. If you have spend any significant time here in the past few years, you know of what I speak.

Cosmopolitan? I guess it depends on your definition of the word. We do not have ghettoes with high concentrations of minorities from different places, so we do not fit the definition of cosmopolitan in that sense. Yet we have large numbers of students from all over the world who are regularly seen on our streets, in our business establishments, and at our functions so we are very cosmopolitan in that sense. We also have a growing array of restaurants and businesses that cater to cosmopolitan interests. We have the right kind of cosmopolitan here, and don't really want the Pittsburgh version of it. You are right that we are close enough for people to escape to for avoiding that sort of segregated cosmopolitan life but at the same time enjoy some of the benefits associated with it.

I don't think anybody would argue that the state has expended no funds in northern West Virginia. That is not the point. The point is the area has not received its fair share of funding. You could make the case that there is more poverty and thus more need in the southern portion, and that would be true, but that is not where the focus has been. If anything, the more prosperous areas of southern West Virginia have received the lion's share of funding.

Unread 07-22-2011, 08:06 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,669,738 times
This is a very good thread, and i have enjoyed reading replies supporting both sides of the fence. Now, i would like to hear some examples of pork barrelling in Southern WV that i keep hearing about. CT mentioned the state prison, what else?

GottaHerdOn gave several examples of state $'s used to support the EP, NP and NCWV. Also, how about the fact that Morgantown is the site of the state flagship university. There are a lot a $'s piped to Mo'town to help fund the school. Which i would say almost every WV'ian would support, i just think it is fair to point it out.

Unread 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,512,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
This is a very good thread, and i have enjoyed reading replies supporting both sides of the fence. Now, i would like to hear some examples of pork barrelling in Southern WV that i keep hearing about. CT mentioned the state prison, what else?

GottaHerdOn gave several examples of state $'s used to support the EP, NP and NCWV. Also, how about the fact that Morgantown is the site of the state flagship university. There are a lot a $'s piped to Mo'town to help fund the school. Which i would say almost every WV'ian would support, i just think it is fair to point it out.
I am scratching my head thinking the same thing. In case some of you supposedly disenfranchised northern WV'ers didnt know, the south isnt doing well at all, and nothing in the way of public money is coming their way.

Take a drive on US52 from Bluefield to Williamson if you think the South is doing well and getting tons of money from the state for projects. Drive through the luxurious metropolis of Landgraaf, Keystone, Davy, Roderfield, Iaeger,

Or even better, SR 10 between Princeton and Mullens, then head to Deepwater and see how much better it gets once you get close to Charleston.

Point is, the whole state is being shortchanged. Those 2 or 3 people with axes to grind here have shown no proof of any sort of discrimination. None. Except they built a prison near Charleston. Doesnt it make sense to put prisons closer to where all the "prison capable people" are?

Unread 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post

The Clay Center comes to mind first and foremost, followed by highway construction funding, which has been anything but fairly apportioned. There are also duplicatious spending endeavors at public institutions, but I'll avoid those in the interest of maintaining a cooperative discussion.

We need 15 miles of infrastructure construction in the Morgantown area just to keep up with demonstrated demand loads. In the past decade, they have given us just over 4 miles of the Mon Fayette, and one block on University Ave. We are choking on traffic here. The state talks about completing roads in the middle of nowhere.

Unread 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I am scratching my head thinking the same thing. In case some of you supposedly disenfranchised northern WV'ers didnt know, the south isnt doing well at all, and nothing in the way of public money is coming their way.

Take a drive on US52 from Bluefield to Williamson if you think the South is doing well and getting tons of money from the state for projects. Drive through the luxurious metropolis of Landgraaf, Keystone, Davy, Roderfield, Iaeger,

Or even better, SR 10 between Princeton and Mullens, then head to Deepwater and see how much better it gets once you get close to Charleston.

Point is, the whole state is being shortchanged. Those 2 or 3 people with axes to grind here have shown no proof of any sort of discrimination. None. Except they built a prison near Charleston. Doesnt it make sense to put prisons closer to where all the "prison capable people" are?
It makes sense to keep prisons where hundreds of experienced corrections professionals are located, not near where people commit more crime. What if they suddenly decided to move the state capitol to another town just because of political influence... how would that be received in Charleston?

There is no doubt that the biggest areas of poverty are in the Charleston region. It's just that they aren't in Charleston itself, and Charleston has been getting a disproportionate share of funding. There needs to be a better, more equal distribution of state funds, but if you want to spend some extra down there... put it in Pond Gap and Deepwater where there is demonstrated need, not in Charleston.

Unread 07-22-2011, 01:34 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,128,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think a lot of the difference comes with the fact that WV is a border state between North and South with no real association with either one. I think people from the northern part of the state tend to be more northern culturally and people from the southern part of the state tend to be more southern culturally.

This sometimes leads to the issues that we have due to the natural difference between north and south like friendliness, pace of life etc. I think it also has a little to do with the fact that in the quest to be accepted by their more northern neighbors, people in northern WV tend to shun the southern lifestyle and look down on it with indignity. This often doesn't sit well with southerners as they are usually proud of their heritage. West Virginians have always been sensitive about where we are from and have never liked it when people look down on us, especially those living right beside us so to speak.

Then blend these cultural differences with political differences and the jealousy/feeling that they have been financially shunned that many northerners have (even though in other threads this has been proven to not be the case) and you have political animosity as well. Then on top of that, you can throw in some of the animosity between WVU and Marshall as many in the southern part of the state feel that Marshall represents this part of the state. Then there is also the connection that Marshall had to many of the smaller schools throughout the southern part of the state at one time as well. To make the political differences even deeper, WVU has historically had political control of the higher education system in the state and they have used this to get what they need while stopping or attempting to stop others from having what would compete with them. That never sits well with people who support the institution trying to grow.

So the short answer is that much of the arguing and differences come from the cultural, politcial and school pride issues that exist between the two areas. It's quite the mess cooperatively and is a big part of the reason we get very little done as a state. If funding was broken down to be dispursed more on equations using population, student enrollment, etc, this would cause some anger initially but would be the much better long term solution. Then funding is proportional to all areas and all institutions and growth is rewarded while loss is not. But then, those in power would loose the ability to funnel money to friends and pet projects so this will likely never happen.
Good post. As I pointed out cultural differences are big, but no one in northern wv looks down on southern wv. It is the opposite people in southern wv tend not to think of us as true west virginians and undersving of any funding, except for wvu. Any true west Virginian supports wvu, but not Morgantown.

Of course wvu gets more than Marshall. It has a lot more students and is the state's flagship institution of higher learning. Marshall is just a pork barrel project to make sure Huntington stays part of the Charleston centered political machine.

It has never been proven that north central wv is not underfunded. You keep saying it isn't but your opinion does not equal fact. The truth of the matter is they are. Wvu is not a pet project like Marshall but the state's school. Charleston, and to a lesser extent Huntington, get way more than there fair share of state funds. Morgantown gets some, but nowhere near what it deserves.

Bailey I've lived in morgantown over 20 years. The infrastructure has hardly improved, but the population has increased significantly. If Huntington or charleston were growing like Morgantown they would have gotten a beltway.

Unread 07-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Agreed that nowhere is the state growing "rapidly" like the building boom in Las Vegas, for example. We don't want that here in Morgantown... the boom and bust cycles and so forth. We have had a measured growth that has spanned more than a decade, continued through what amounts to an economic depression, and is ongoing at the present time. That is the only way we can maintain our town's essential character and prosper at the same time. If you have spend any significant time here in the past few years, you know of what I speak.

Cosmopolitan? I guess it depends on your definition of the word. We do not have ghettoes with high concentrations of minorities from different places, so we do not fit the definition of cosmopolitan in that sense. Yet we have large numbers of students from all over the world who are regularly seen on our streets, in our business establishments, and at our functions so we are very cosmopolitan in that sense. We also have a growing array of restaurants and businesses that cater to cosmopolitan interests. We have the right kind of cosmopolitan here, and don't really want the Pittsburgh version of it. You are right that we are close enough for people to escape to for avoiding that sort of segregated cosmopolitan life but at the same time enjoy some of the benefits associated with it.

I don't think anybody would argue that the state has expended no funds in northern West Virginia. That is not the point. The point is the area has not received its fair share of funding. You could make the case that there is more poverty and thus more need in the southern portion, and that would be true, but that is not where the focus has been. If anything, the more prosperous areas of southern West Virginia have received the lion's share of funding.
I was outside the mountain lair a week ago, maybe two. It was midday so it was packed with students. Most of them were foreign. There were Saudis in headscarves, Asian students using jackets like umbrellas to block out the sun because they like to have a pal white complexion, students speaking Spanish, etc. Someone walked up to meand said ,"no one here speaks English." I said I imagine they do if they are studying here, and he said," they prefer not to," to which replied," I imagine they are here to improve english." he replied," I wish I was back in charleston."

So there you have it folks. Morgantown is too multicultural for some people from charleston. I personally think it is great how diverse and multicultural Morgantown has become. It is not sf or NYC, but for a small city in wv it is amazing. We might not have large segregated ghettos like some cities. What we have is white people and black people living side by side as neighbors without any problems. We have a large Asian student population. Headscarves are now common in Morgantown. You go out at night you will see wv locals dating pretty Japanese girls. My wife is Brazilian and there are around 12 brazilians her age in Morgantown wv. There is a sizable European student population. Spanish speaking Americans are flocking to morgantown for jobs. Indians we have them too. Morgantown has a surprisingly diverse restaurant s scene. It is cosmopolitan for a small city and the most so in wv.

Unread 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM

260 posts, read 205,676 times
Detroit is pretty multicultural, yet I don't see anyone praising that city...

Unread 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Detroit is pretty multicultural, yet I don't see anyone praising that city...
Morgantown is multicultural in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia