Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM

59 posts, read 254,679 times

Advertisements

Please give us some information on housing, taxes ,etc for retired senior citizens considering West Virginia . We want a place in the country , couple of acres , less than $200,000. ?? Thanks for whatever info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,271,493 times
There is a paradox in West Virginia. A few years ago when its economy was zero, a person was written out of the job market at the age of 45. Now there is such a shortage of workers that even the Senior Citizens Groups have created employment counseling to put the retirees back into the job market.

West Virginia is a UNION state and those unions monitor the flow of illegals.
In order for our new Walmart to be built, the out of country workers had to be used at night and housed in another city...That union (UMWA) is beginning to shy away from the political party that would end the use of coal powered electrification (56% of the nations electric power is generated by non-foriegn, domesticaly produced CLEAN BURNING coal)

Mr. Manchin is governing a state that is truly rising from its ashes. He seems to be spending the money wisely. We will never have to send out children out of state to survive if things stay as they are now.

The retirees that I meet are about 55 are coming here with pensions and intend to work for several years as sub-contractors to the entities that employed them in DC and Maryland. FBI, NASA, others. To me the retirement age seems to be extended...75 or older...as people in good health are living to 100..more productive years are seen.

A home that you wish for can be found here in your price range, contact a name brand realtor. They usually adhear to a stricter code for their employees.
What needs to be understood is this is a rural area..all of it. Grass needs mowed, sometimes twice a week, and trees need trimmed. We have rain here and the humidity is a killer in the summer. A friend visited from out west and asked me how we irrigated as he mentally compared farms. I said, "Every three days is rains."

If your intending to RETIRE here, you need to give it a GOOD look...I'm from here...when I retire, I plan on going to Savannah. I want salt air and good oysters...and it's tough to find that here..good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:27 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,213,892 times
You don't mention where you're currently living; if you've not lived in a rural area before, the change can be quite a shock.

I would suggest renting, preferably for an entire year, in the area you're interested in before you commit to a move. Snow sure looks pretty, but it needs to be shoveled (if you're retired, a small tractor is a nice "toy" that won't strain your heart).

$200K will get you multiple acres and a nice house just about anywhere in the state (Eastern Panhandle excluded). In the biggest cities, it will still get you a nice house, but not the acreage.

State Income Tax is graduated, 3.5% to 6.5% I believe. Property taxes are somewhat lower than neighboring states, but WV has a Personal Property Tax, most notable on vehicles (5% of Blue Book value???).

Snorpus

Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,969,194 times
Try Randolph County. Its ranked as one of the cheapest places to live in WV, while offering seclusion, and some urban qualities in or near Elkins. If you have any questions.. Just ask..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia