Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

First of all, you are wrong. The whole state is not catagorized as a poor employment situation. We are doing just fine here in Morgantown. I realize that Helena is doing well too, but not all of Montana is as fortunate. Our statistics in West Virginia are heavily negatively skewed by the performance of our southern most counties, which are easily the worst areas in the state. Most of the rest of the state is not in that condition.

More than 15% unemployment in some Montana counties...

Montana unemployment rate inches up to 7.5% | KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

I wonder if they have a lot of depression there?

North Central West Virginia, including the core counties of the area you seem to want to disparage (Marion and Harrison) are doing at least as well or better than the State of Montana...

Unemployment by County in West Virginia

There is no more depression in Harrison than there is in most of Montana, and certainly less than in Western Montana.

That said, as poorly as most of the country is doing economically, one wonders if depression isn't rampant. I'm convinced we have idiots running things these days. Smooth talking idiots, but idiots none-the-less. Just my opinion, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Our growth here had little to do with an MSA designation. It had to do with (1) Milan Pharma, and (2) growth and development at WVU. There were some companies that located here too, but they were locally grown.
While the things that you listed did help with growth, studies have shown that an MSA designation has a significant impact on short term economic development and subsequent population growth. This helped to bring the University Town Center there and helped to give developers like the Biaforas the ability to build a new shopping center and recruit businesses based on MSA information. Many businesses won't even consider an area if you have no MSA statistics. Here's a bit from the study:

The federal Office of Management and Budget’s (OMB) periodic releases of updated`metropolitan statistical area (MSA) definitions garner significant attention from local economic development professionals and policymakers. The interest is grounded in the common belief that the designation of a region as a new MSA will spur its subsequent growth. Arguments supporting this view typically point to three ways in which the MSA designationmay spur growth: (1) the newly designated MSAmay be better positioned to draw down federal funds, (2) theMSA designation may increase the amount and detail of economic information provided by federal and state statistical agencies on the region, and (3) the MSA designation may raise the marketing profile of the region, particularly with respect to national or multi-state site selection searches.

http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/dis/dat...impact_MSA.pdf

Here's also something on a more local level that backs this up as well:

http://www.plantogether.org/documents/MPO/Commuter_survey_report.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I don't make up the reports and studies. The state, in general, has a higher incidence of mental health maladies more than likely as a result of a host of issues.

And Montana definately has issues, never said it didn't. Reservations are especially hard hit with chronic physical and mental health issues, as are some other regions outside of the reservations. Kalispell and areas in the NW took a beating due to the housing crunch. No more influx of buyers, timber industry gone, etc.. etc..

Alcoholism and alcohol related issues are a big issue in this region. Jobs are tough to come by, generally low paying etc.. Not unlike back home. There are exceptions to the rule like Helena, Billings, Missoula and Great Falls, but there are certainly problems. The old saying here for newcomers is "You can't eat scenery"- in other words lot's of luck finding a job to pay for a house near the mountains. Prices are high and wages are low. A lot of folks are moving to the eastern part of the state due to the Baccus play going on there. (It's a lot like WV in a LOT of ways- that's why I like it I guess)

And CT I would not nor would I ever disparge or attempt to over-illustrate West Virginia issues. I love my home state and I'm proud to tell everyone where I am from. But I witnessed the dissapearance of a lot of traditional jobs in WV over the years. Glass, manufacturing, timber and even declines in coal employment rolls. It's not just me that took note, I heard a lot of the issues straight from the business owners in that region for years. On the plus side I was involved with very, very positive people especially in Morgantown that are damned determined to do something about it.

I tend to believe that widespread depression, or better yet the roots of it, tend to emerge from core economic issues and to another extent educational issues. I'm not an expert by any means and I very well may be wrong, but I see the same type of thing here as well. Some of the problems found on reservations will simply rip your heart out.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't make up the reports and studies. The state, in general, has a higher incidence of mental health maladies more than likely as a result of a host of issues.

And Montana definately has issues, never said it didn't. Reservations are especially hard hit with chronic physical and mental health issues, as are some other regions outside of the reservations. Kalispell and areas in the NW took a beating due to the housing crunch. No more influx of buyers, timber industry gone, etc.. etc..

Alcoholism and alcohol related issues are a big issue in this region. Jobs are tough to come by, generally low paying etc.. Not unlike back home. There are exceptions to the rule like Helena, Billings, Missoula and Great Falls, but there are certainly problems. The old saying here for newcomers is "You can't eat scenery"- in other words lot's of luck finding a job to pay for a house near the mountains. Prices are high and wages are low. A lot of folks are moving to the eastern part of the state due to the Baccus play going on there. (It's a lot like WV in a LOT of ways- that's why I like it I guess)

And CT I would not nor would I ever disparge or attempt to over-illustrate West Virginia issues. I love my home state and I'm proud to tell everyone where I am from. But I witnessed the dissapearance of a lot of traditional jobs in WV over the years. Glass, manufacturing, timber and even declines in coal employment rolls. It's not just me that took note, I heard a lot of the issues straight from the business owners in that region for years. On the plus side I was involved with very, very positive people especially in Morgantown that are damned determined to do something about it.

I tend to believe that widespread depression, or better yet the roots of it, tend to emerge from core economic issues and to another extent educational issues. I'm not an expert by any means and I very well may be wrong, but I see the same type of thing here as well. Some of the problems found on reservations will simply rip your heart out.
Oh, there is absolutely no question that the state's manufacturing industry has taken a huge hit. Wheeling was once the state's most prosperous area. Today it is less than half its former self. Charleston, Parkersburg, and Huntington have all taken major hits and North Central has taken hits as well.
The elitists have decided to move our best jobs to cheap labor countries, and they have enough political muscle to get the Government to allow that to happen. The Northern Panhandle lost tens of thousands of its best heavy industry jobs.

North Central in general, and Morgantown in particular, has rebounded from that assault far better than most. We will complete the recovery process with the development of Marcellus Shale resources, and the affiliated industries that accompany that. Even Cabell/Wayne (which has no Marcellus deposits) will benefit greatly from it due to their prominence as a shipping center. The entire state is going to see much better days, in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Oh I think better days are certainly ahead, especially if the power center shifts more to the north and east. But that's my opinion, and yes- it's quite biased with that regard.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I fully agree that such a power shift would propel our state into the 21st. Century, but you just know there will be great resistence to it. Even though it has been the state's biggest detriment, the Boss Hogg political machine has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, and will go down to defeat kicking and screaming.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Well the established boys are good at a few things for sure. Kickbacks, vote buying and gerrymandering. And that IS depressing, lol

Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I think better days are certainly ahead, especially if the power center shifts more to the north and east. But that's my opinion, and yes- it's quite biased with that regard.
Power is slowly shifting. Morgantown is getting another seat, while the South is losing them. In the future the balance of power in WV will be evenly distributed throughout the state, and the North will have much more power. This will lead to less corruption, more job growth, better environmental development, improved infrastructure (statewide), more civil rights, a better economy, and a better WV.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Power is slowly shifting. Morgantown is getting another seat, while the South is losing them. In the future the balance of power in WV will be evenly distributed throughout the state, and the North will have much more power. This will lead to less corruption, more job growth, better environmental development, improved infrastructure (statewide), more civil rights, a better economy, and a better WV.
Here's what the lawyers are saying about it, although from a partisan perspective rather than a regional one...

Redistricting will be bad for Democrats, Southern W.Va. | West Virginia Record.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Here's what the lawyers are saying about it, although from a partisan perspective rather than a regional one...

Redistricting will be bad for Democrats, Southern W.Va. | West Virginia Record.
On a state level it is the lobbyist who run things and not individual parties. They control many Democrats and Republicans, especially from the Southern political machine.

Republicans or democrats, I would support either if they werent corrupt and cared about the state. The new breed of NCWV politician care about WV, and not a few choice areas. I say give power back to the people of WV instead of a few elites.

As for the article if the Democrats want to remain in power they need to start caring about the rest of the state outside of Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia