Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 AM

208 posts, read 837,105 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to West Virginia. How is life there?
I live in NJ, but I have traveled thoroughout this great nation of ours. All information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
It's slow...neighbors still sit on their porches in the evening and visit...

my keys are in the car and the house is unlocked...we share...

(with the horrendous need for workers, we may be in danger of losing our politically crafted welfare state.)

but it's changing...slowly.....and many of us 'carry concealed, just in case....

Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

Once you get to know them, West Virginians will give you the shirt of their back and the keys to their car (more likely, truck). My friend camped at Blackwater for 2 months this summer. By the last few weeks, people were bringing her vegetables and inviting her to breakfast and dinner every day.

One day she didn't go to the roadside fruit stand, and they came by the campground to check that she was OK.

If your life depends on Starbucks, Macy's, opera or fancy cuisine, then WV isn't for you. On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry, consider country ham the perfect complement to your eggs, grits and biscuits, and if you like your hot dogs with chili sauce, then WV could be for you.

Come visit and see for yourself.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Morgantown is considered to have a very high quality of life, and one of the best job markets in the country.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
I was thinking about moving to West Virginia. How is life there?
I live in NJ, but I have traveled thoroughout this great nation of ours. All information is greatly appreciated.
How life is in West Virginia depends on where you live. Were you looking to be more isolated and in the country or closer to one of the cities?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
It's slow...neighbors still sit on their porches in the evening and visit...

my keys are in the car and the house is unlocked...we share...

(with the horrendous need for workers, we may be in danger of losing our politically crafted welfare state.)

but it's changing...slowly.....and many of us 'carry concealed, just in case....
can you explain to part that I put in bold. Sounds interesting, explain more please.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
How life is in West Virginia depends on where you live. Were you looking to be more isolated and in the country or closer to one of the cities?
I plan on moving to southern West Virginia. I want rural, isolated, and American!

I can live almost anywhere in the world with Internet connection.
Instead of buying a tiny condo here, I want to spend half what I would spend on a condo, and buy a small farm--or a nice house with some serious acreage.
I've been reading up on WV for a couple of months now. I am currently leaning towards WV, Wyoming, Utah, or Colorado.
As you can tell...I am all about the mountains!!!

Last edited by xpxexaxcxex; 08-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post

Once you get to know them, West Virginians will give you the shirt of their back and the keys to their car (more likely, truck). My friend camped at Blackwater for 2 months this summer. By the last few weeks, people were bringing her vegetables and inviting her to breakfast and dinner every day.

One day she didn't go to the roadside fruit stand, and they came by the campground to check that she was OK.

If your life depends on Starbucks, Macy's, opera or fancy cuisine, then WV isn't for you. On the other hand, if you're not in a hurry, consider country ham the perfect complement to your eggs, grits and biscuits, and if you like your hot dogs with chili sauce, then WV could be for you.

Sounds like a wonderful state. That is why I wanted to go to the source and talk to REAL West Virginians and not blindly believe the unfortunate stereotypes that plagues WV!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post

I think this is a great depiction of life in WV! I moved away for the Starbucks, Macys, fancy cuisine; and life in a big corporation.

Life in WV seems much slower, easier, and friendlier. I had the best neighbors in WV - we would do anything to help one another. And other Mom's - always willing to do for each others children.

One day ~ I will be going back. Walking on a beautiful mountain trail and enjoying the peace and tranquility.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
I plan on moving to southern West Virginia. I want rural, isolated, and American!

I can live almost anywhere in the world with Internet connection.
Instead of buying a tiny condo here, I want to spend half what I would spend on a condo, and buy a small farm--or a nice house with some serious acreage.
I've been reading up on WV for a couple of months now. I am currently leaning towards WV, Wyoming, Utah, or Colorado.
As you can tell...I am all about the mountains!!!
Be very careful about southern WV as it has massive problems with mountaintop removal coal mining and other water pollution as well as contaimination. Most residents sure aren't in favor of it and want it stopped. Look closer to Morgantown, though. Lots of nice rural towns nearby without the mountain mining nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia