Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
so, are you guys saying do this instead:

Reston, VA
Blackwater Falls State Park, Davis
Canaan Valley, WV
Spruce Knob, WV
Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV
Reston, VA

where would we stay the night?
I believe you said you were camping? Both Blackwater Falls SP and Canaan Valley SP have campgrounds, there's a Forest Service campground at Seneca Rocks, plus there are commercial campgrounds in the area.

There are lodges at both state parks also.

Little of what might be termed "fine dining", but Sirianni's in downtown Davis is a great place for a pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I believe you said you were camping? Both Blackwater Falls SP and Canaan Valley SP have campgrounds, there's a Forest Service campground at Seneca Rocks, plus there are commercial campgrounds in the area.

There are lodges at both state parks also.

Little of what might be termed "fine dining", but Sirianni's in downtown Davis is a great place for a pizza.
i'm having doubts about 'camping'. not sure about doing that considering the weather, and also, packing two sets of camping equipment in our sedan might be tough. If there are decent hotels around, i'd be open to that too. (complimentary breakfast :-)

i just don't know which city would be the logical stop for the night.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

40 posts, read 104,801 times
I would stay in Canaan lodge if you don't camp. For camping, Blackwater/Canaan/Spruce Knob all have good campgrounds.

Your adjusted itin looks about right, you will probably want to do things that flow together for the actual order. For example, Dolly Sods would be a good starting point at the entrance between Petersburg and Seneca Rocks. Follow Dolly Sods to Laneville, and then over to Canaan and Davis/Blackwater. Stay the night in this area. The following morning, drive to Spruce Knob via the Harman route and then come out on Route 28 near Circleville/Riverton and then head back and do Seneca Rocks along the way back to Reston. The previously mentioned Sirianni's and Hellbender's are good places to get grub. I haven't tried anything else in that area in a long time.

You could also drive over to Elkins to spend the night and lots of places to eat there. The drive to Elkins along Route 33 is pretty and a bonus.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyHillbilly View Post
I would stay in Canaan lodge if you don't camp. For camping, Blackwater/Canaan/Spruce Knob all have good campgrounds.

Your adjusted itin looks about right, you will probably want to do things that flow together for the actual order. For example, Dolly Sods would be a good starting point at the entrance between Petersburg and Seneca Rocks. Follow Dolly Sods to Laneville, and then over to Canaan and Davis/Blackwater. Stay the night in this area. The following morning, drive to Spruce Knob via the Harman route and then come out on Route 28 near Circleville/Riverton and then head back and do Seneca Rocks along the way back to Reston. The previously mentioned Sirianni's and Hellbender's are good places to get grub. I haven't tried anything else in that area in a long time.

You could also drive over to Elkins to spend the night and lots of places to eat there. The drive to Elkins along Route 33 is pretty and a bonus.

Many thanks!
here's the latest Itin:

Reston, VA
Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV (How many hours should we spend here?)
Laneville, WV (just passing through or are we seeing anything here?)
Blackwater Falls State Park, Davis (How many hours should we spend here?)
SPENDING THE NIGHT HERE AT BLACKWATER FALLS AREA
Spruce Knob, WV (How many hours should we spend here?)
Seneca Rocks, WV (How many hours should we spend here?)
Reston, VA

Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 PM

I'd allow a couple of hours at each place (Laneville is just the end of your Dolly Sods excursion).

With transit time from place to place, stops for meals, etc., both days will still be full.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 AM

40 posts, read 104,801 times
Nothing in Laneville to see, it is just a pass-through town. It is one of many old logging towns in the area and one of the few to still actually exist.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks guys,

so here's the updated itin:

Reston, VA
Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV (4 hours from around noon to 4pm on day 1)
Laneville, WV (just passing through)
Blackwater Falls State Park, Davis (3 hours from around 5pm to 8pm on day 1)
SPENDING THE NIGHT HERE AT BLACKWATER FALLS AREA
Spruce Knob, WV (2 hours from about 10am to noon on day 2)
Seneca Rocks, WV (3 hours from about 2pm to 5pm)
Reston, VA (3 hours drive home from seneca rocks)

what do you guys think?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
That works. I would say best places to stay would be Blackwater Lodge, Bright Morning Inn in Davis with comp breakfast, Purple Fiddle in Thomas.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
That works. I would say best places to stay would be Blackwater Lodge, Bright Morning Inn in Davis with comp breakfast, Purple Fiddle in Thomas.
The Purple Fiddle has rooms? I don't know if I'd want to stay there if they have live entertainment going on downstairs.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

166 posts, read 362,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyHillbilly View Post
I would eliminate Berkeley Springs from the itin since you can do that easily from Reston any time and you could visit the other surrounding towns on another day trip.
Ditto this idea ^. Instead of cramming it all into one weekend, come back another weekend or even just a day trip to explore the Eastern Panhandle. You could check out Berkeley Springs, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, and maybe throw in a trip to Sharpsburg for ice cream @ Nutters.

I make day trips into Northern Virginia quite frequently so I think a reverse day trip would be quite do-able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia