Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
While I will agree with you that Morgantown would provided the most liberal atmpsphere in the state, I disagree that it provides the best all around of what the OP is looking for, unless a liberal atmosphere tops the list. While Huntington does have a liberal component to it, it is definately smaller here as Marshall is a smaller school and a smaller part of this area.

Looking at local ammenities, if having close air travel that offers some options is important at all, Morgantown definately does not do well on that component. Flights out of Hart Field are few and far between and if the federal funding gets nixed as proposed, Morgantown is likely to lose all commercial flights, per the city manager there. They only see about 10,000 passengers per year there as opposed to about 110,000 from Huntington and >200,000 at Charleston. As stated above, the numbers at Huntington continue to climb and more flights are being looked into. A rumored direct flight to Las Vegas would really boost numbers here.

Also, for someone with a disability, the hills and the colder, snowier weather likely will be a more difficult obstacle to overcome when compared to the flatter, more mild winter in Huntington. And if CAMC is on par with Ruby, Cabell or St. Mary's would be up there as well, especially if you take the previously discussed healthcare ratings into account.

Just another view point on things.
If the quality of airport and a slightly warmer climate are the only factors than Huntington would win hands down. The Morgantown airport only flies to Dulles, but keep in mind the Pittsburgh airport has flights everywhere in the country, and I believe a few international locations, is approx. an hour away. Pittsburgh airport > Huntington airport. The climate is warmer so that is a plus.

Keep in mind Morgantown does have a better economy, and quality of life. I know quality of life is subjective, but Morgantown is nationally recognized as a great place to live. It is considered a "top small city." Huntington is known for being one of the unhealthiest cities in the country, and for that tv show where Jamie Oliver goes there to try and teach kids nutritious eating, but fails to get them to eat better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Huntington is known for being one of the unhealthiest cities in the country, and for that tv show where Jamie Oliver goes there to try and teach kids nutritious eating, but fails to get them to eat better.
West Virginia is known as being one of the unhealthiest states in the country. Last time I checked, Morgantown was part of this state. Huntington and Charleston get the brunt of the negative publicity on that front though because they are the only two MSAs in the state that are looked at for these types of things.

This brings another point to the front, it was the Huntington MSA and not the city itself that was looked at. When you break it down by county, Cabell County is one of the healthier in the state when looking at obesity rates. Plus, through that show, Cabell has become a model for healthy school lunches for the state. If you thought the premise of the show failed, I guess you didn't watch it and haven't seen that the healthy lunches are still being prepared here. It is catching on but hasn't made it to Mon County yet.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Morgantown is not in the Pittsburgh metro area. They're really not well-connected enough to make that claim. Sure Morgantown is heavily Pittsburgh oriented, but in order to qualify as part of the MSA, the area needs to have a sizable population of commuters to the metro's main city and close-in suburbs. Morgantown doesn't have that. I'd also say to qualify that the surrounding area should be relatively built up, rather than a whole lot of nothing until you're halfway to Pittsburgh.

Morgantown's hour-ish proximity to Pittsburgh is advantageous, but if we're going to use Pittsburgh amenities as a reason for one-upping other towns in the state, Weirton has, by far, the biggest advantage there. If you're primarily looking at the list of the OP's requests, Morgantown still wins considering local West Virginia amenities alone. If living somewhere liberal is important to these people, they're really not going to find it anywhere but Morgantown in this state (or at least nowhere else where it's on open display).
Technically, you're right except that the MSA system is fundamentally flawed. Point Marion, PA for example... just a few miles from Morgantown and far smaller, is considered to be Pgh. MSA. In fact the MSA designation comes a scant 5 miles from Morgantown. They tend to follow political boundaries rather than actual interactivity. With the Mon Fayette Expressway gradually coming on line, interactivity with Uniontown and other areas technically in the Pgh. MSA will be greatly increasing. But, we don't really want to be part of Pittsburgh. We just want it close enough to go to once in awhile for the kinds of things you can only do or get in a big city, and we don't have any of those within our state.

There is no doubt in my mind that Clarksburg and Morgantown should be in the same MSA.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
West Virginia is known as being one of the unhealthiest states in the country. Last time I checked, Morgantown was part of this state. Huntington and Charleston get the brunt of the negative publicity on that front though because they are the only two MSAs in the state that are looked at for these types of things.

This brings another point to the front, it was the Huntington MSA and not the city itself that was looked at. When you break it down by county, Cabell County is one of the healthier in the state when looking at obesity rates. Plus, through that show, Cabell has become a model for healthy school lunches for the state. If you thought the premise of the show failed, I guess you didn't watch it and haven't seen that the healthy lunches are still being prepared here. It is catching on but hasn't made it to Mon County yet.
Actually Charleston is the 3rd biggest MSA in the State and Huntington is 4th.

Biggest MSAs in WV:

1)MartinsBurg-Dc
2)Morgantown-Pittsburg
3)Charleston Metro
4)Huntington Metro

Next WV is the unhealthiest state, or in the top 5, but Huntington has the rare honor of being singled out as the unhealthiest city in an unhealthy state. I was being polite earlier by pointing out that Huntington is one of the unhealthiest cities in the country, but if you want to argue fine. Huntington is officially the unhealthiest and fattest city in the USA, which is one of the fattest countries, making Huntington one of the unhealthiest cities in the world. Huntington gets the brunt, not sure about Charleston, because it is the worst. Sorta like how Detroit gets the brunt of attention for having a terrible economy or Morgantown gets the brunt of attention for being a great place to live and having an awesome economy.

Finally if you were to consider the student population Morgantown is probably above average when it comes to health. There are fat students, but I would say many of them are of average weight and health, but many are in excellent shape. In fact Morgantown has an underweight problem. Many college women starve themselves. Anyway it is common for a state university to raise the population of healthy people.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times
This is hilarious.... lol

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
This is hilarious.... lol
I wish I could find the humor in because I think it is just sad. Some treat this forum more like a smack forum and have no respect for others or other areas. They can't build their area up without trying to tear down another. As I've said before, it's a good thing that others don't act in kind or no one would want to live in WV. Some people will spout whatever they want on here with no truth to back it up. For example, can anyone find a designation for the Pittsburg MSA that includes part of WV?

And havoc, nice article from 3 years ago about stats from 5 years ago.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I wish I could find the humor in because I think it is just sad. Some treat this forum more like a smack forum and have no respect for others or other areas. They can't build their area up without trying to tear down another. As I've said before, it's a good thing that others don't act in kind or no one would want to live in WV. Some people will spout whatever they want on here with no truth to back it up. For example, can anyone find a designation for the Pittsburg MSA that includes part of WV?

And havoc, nice article from 3 years ago about stats from 5 years ago.
Yeah, im sure in those 3 years Huntington has gotten so much healthier.

I do agree with you. It is sad how some people feel the need to put down other cities. The anti-Morgantown in this forum is getting out of hand. I think through cooperation and mutual respect we can resolve the issue.

As for Morgantown being part of the Pittsburg metro area. They cross states more than you think. Im sure you you would be surprised to learn that the NYC metro areas stretches into NJ and Connecticut. Everyday you learn something new. You need to use critical thinking and realize a metro area can stretch across state lines.

Tbailey I think we need to come to an understanding. Just because Morgantown has some great things about it doesnt mean I am putting down Huntington. For instance Morgantown is bigger city, with the students, and part of a bigger metro area, but that doesnt make Huntington is some backwoods town. Furthermore just because Morgantown has a better hospital system doesnt mean Huntington has bad hospitals. Im sure Huntington has great hospitals you just need to realize Morgantown has exceptionally good ones. Stop letting jealousy define who you are.

Please keep in mind that Morgantown's accomplishments dont take away from Huntington. I wish Huntington success except on sunday. I am expecting WVU to win, but I wouldnt assume victory they sure gave WVU a challenge last year.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 PM

42 posts, read 71,874 times
Quote:
I am expecting WVU to win, but I wouldnt assume victory they sure gave WVU a challenge last year.
I'm guessing Marshall will give WVU less of a challenge this year seeing as one of their players was arrested yesterday for a string of armed robberies in Huntington.
http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/P...128558833.html

Huntington's violent crime rate is almost twice that of Morgantown's (6.74 v. 3.58 per 1,000 residents).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
My hunch is Eastern Panhandle, specifically around the river area along the Berkeley County / Jefferson County line. Lot's of well built, older ranchers in mildly managed HOA's, larger lots, bucolic scenery, close to Shepherd, lot's of different folks (including ex-hippies), you can scoot to Costco in Winchester, Medical facilities in Winchester, big box shopping in Hagerstown, buy your lattes and organic teas and incense in Sheperdstown, work at Shepherd college and make it to BWI or Dulles airport in less than an hour and a half.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
As for Morgantown being part of the Pittsburg metro area. They cross states more than you think. Im sure you you would be surprised to learn that the NYC metro areas stretches into NJ and Connecticut. Everyday you learn something new. You need to use critical thinking and realize a metro area can stretch across state lines.
You need to follow your own advice and again, as I suggested before, do some research. The Huntington MSA extends over into both Ohio and Kentucky. MSAs are designated on how many people from the outlying counties travel to the main city of the MSA. They aren't based on politics or state boundaries but rather how many people travel to the main city of the MSA for work.

Quote:
Tbailey I think we need to come to an understanding. Just because Morgantown has some great things about it doesnt mean I am putting down Huntington. For instance Morgantown is bigger city, with the students, and part of a bigger metro area, but that doesnt make Huntington is some backwoods town. Furthermore just because Morgantown has a better hospital system doesnt mean Huntington has bad hospitals. Im sure Huntington has great hospitals you just need to realize Morgantown has exceptionally good ones. Stop letting jealousy define who you are.
I encourage you to post good things on here about your city because that detracts from mine in no way and helps to build up the state as a whole. What I take issue with is you going out of your way to post negative info about Huntington because you thin k it will somehow sway someone to follow your advice, i.e. digging up a 3 year old article that has nothing to do with this topic. And Morgantown is not bigger, even with students as Huntington has students here as well plus we already have 20,000 more people to begin with. Huntington has great hospitals and they are better than all other hospitals in the state in many categories, as shown by links rather than solely using opinion.

Jealousy does not in any way define who I am. I'm happy with where I live and don't feel the need to diminish others to make myself feel better. Conversely, I won't let others needlessly diminish where I live with lies and half-truths either. Maybe if you would have a little respect for others and stop letting that along with arrogance, entitlement and being argumentative define who you are, you might find life will be a little better.

That's all I have to say on this matter as I won't let you highjack yet another thread by creating another multi-page argument. To the OP, if you would like any info on Huntington, I would be more than happy to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia