Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 174,525 times

Advertisements

ok yall, i live in Martinsburg. I'm from Montana and have been here 7 years. Martinsburg has its good and bad. Racially, its not good. Berkeley Springs, Hancock and places like that aren't racially mixed too much so anyone who isn't white struggles quite a bit. Small town feel, small town minds! Martinsburgs problems are tough. Too close to the city, not enough discipline on the kids, nothing for kids to do and when they get something to do, it is overrun with drugs, etc... Williamsport is a nice quiet area. Not much happening there. Winchester, Va may be a good area for you. The migrants aren't too much of a big deal I don't think. Most of them work hard. If you look online at the crime stats, most criminals are from NY, NJ or are druggie young girls or boys (under 25) or hillibilly Bob who beats his wife and drank to much and got a DUI. Alot of the crime is brought in from New York and revolve around drugs and guns. I do social work so I am quite familiar with what is out there! Exit 13 is the best place to live I think in Martinsburg. Tuscorora Elem is also in that area, and it is a good school. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 21,064 times
Unhappy Wv=?

I am a married mom of a 4 yr old. I have been a certified nurses aide for over 9 years, working mainly in the nursing home environment. I have always wanted to move to the W. Virginia area but after all of these negatives I don't think that desire is with me anymore. Does anyone out there know of a great area to live-rent a nice house-raise my son- maybe where there is great scenery and good fishing-where someone can enjoy life a little bit? Or am I asking for too much? Here is your chance to brag up your town/area- I/we are open to anywhere-preferably South of Indianapolis-where I am sad to say, you are taking your life in your hands on a daily basis. Thank you all for your input.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Dont be discourgaged, WV is the top state for me to consider moving into. Just avoid the expensive cities near DC because the people living there commute to DC and back. Hows Bluefield sound?

Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 PM

15 posts, read 50,729 times
Default Martinsburg

Be sure to check the crime index for this city, and talk to some law enforcement people before you move.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 17,275 times
Default Moving to Martinsburg

HELP!!!!! My husband just got stationed in Martinsburg. Where should I live? We also are adopting two Chinese girls. Will they have a hard time there? My husband will actually be working in Kearneysville. I think that is what the town is called. My husband is going to be moving there in December and I am staying behind until we get the girls. Does anyone know an efficiency apartment he can get? Preferably one where you can rent month to month? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 PM

You are right! My husband is in the Coast Guard! How is Frederick, Maryland?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Moving to Kearneysville

Yep! Your right! My husband is in the Coast Guard. Do you know anything about Frederick, Maryland? Would that be an okay place to live? Thanks for all of your help!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:44 AM

41 posts, read 165,626 times
Martinsburg.

Hated it. Transplanted from Northern VA area there a little while back. Bought a brand new home. The builder rhymes with Brian or more closely BRYAN. There were very little codes followed properly when building the home. The building inspector showed up after the homes were already being built.

I spent (no kidding) the first 8 months with various "punch-out" guys/workers in my home (constantly had to call out from work) for them to fix things that should've easily been done right to begin with.

I spent weeks calling around the city of Mburg to get a dumped couch taken away. This was when I was trying to sell my home. I was happy to sell it even with the dumped (post rained on) couch still sitting there.

Neighbors were sprinkled with gun toting, self-described rednecks with confederate flags dripping from their vehicles and property.

Oh, last week I received a tax bill from WV claiming I owe them nearly $1,000 for making pennies while working there during a specific tax year.

The only Wal-Mart in town is always filthy. Spills dry up and turn brown on the floors. Sure, it's apple country but 30% of the apples I purchased (this became a long-running joke at my job there) when cut open had brown stains, etc.

The roads aren't wide enough to accomdate expl.oding growth.

They cloud spray-- or whatever that term is when they literally control how much rain falls from the clouds so that construction won't be ruined with muddiness.

I hated that place so much, I can hardly put it into words. I stayed the required two years to avoid capital gains taxes on the profit of sale of my home. I ran like crazy outta there. We must've packed the moving van up in (a whole house) in 20 minutes.

Did I mention how much I hated that backwards place?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 AM

30 posts, read 81,377 times
how about the county martinsburg is in? i believe its jefferson county thats one of the counties me and my wife was talkin bout moving to...is it as bad as well... the other counties we are lookin at are pocahontas,greenbrier,monroe and mercer and randolph anything really bad about those counties please let me know thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 PM

35 posts, read 174,525 times
There is a lot of negativity on Martinsburg and Berkeley County. Can't see it. It is what you make it. Wages are not high, cost of living has gotten higher and higher. Compared to ATLANTA where Georgia resides, Martinsburg is a saint. Stay away form the nightlife and no problem. Schools are okay, teachers are okay, Taxes, well that is another story. It is what you make it. People on here are making a big deal over the crime. Every place has crime. The problem here is it makes the newspaper almost every time because it is small here. But... when you really calculate it out, Martinsburg is small in population but Berkeley County is large, and the towns runs together.
Someone commented on the large drug bust here with the Jamaicans years ago, you can't go off that at all.... they have with the country folks growing it in their yards all the time . Keep in mind the stigma behind the Jamaican ones(migrants) What makes you think they were all migrants????....We have family in Jamaica, we also own a house in Jamaica, not everyone is like that. Their culture is different, they found a way to make money and took advantage of it. People everywhere do that, look at ENRON!!! Does it matter that they were from another country? Many people from the Carribean are here legal including some of what was busted in that sting. Many people hire them because they work their tail off for little because us spoiled Americans think we are too good to work for such low pay. Imagine that, but its predominantly whites here on Welfare... and I know, I work in Social Services. Too good to work for minimum wage (if that) but Welfare is okay!
So anyway, It isn;t such a bad place, depending on where you are form. I can tell you honestly, I don;t know very many people here that are born & raised here. Most everyone I know is a transplant. That is what makes this place beautiful, MAYBERRY left a long time ago, WAKE UP PEOPLE, we are in 2006. Home is where you hang your hat, and I cloose to hang mine in Martinsburg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia