Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,498,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarco4u View Post
I don't understand why a third option is left out for part of the state: the Midwest. Go to the Ohio River communities and they feel like Ohio. Huntington looks like the Printer's Row neighborhood in Chicago, Parkersburg has the big, old mansions similar to those you find in Cincinnati, and towns like Sistersville and St. Mary's have the old brick looks of the Midwest. The WV counties along the Ohio River are part of the Midwest.
The Midwest is part of the north, man. Northern refers to Midwestern and Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,973,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield2000 View Post
W. Va IS PART OF THE SOUTH.

I consider myself a VIRGINIAN first and foremost because the West Virginia statehood is an illegal entity according to the US Constitution (look it up!).

Blasphemy...

-A proud WEST by god Virginian Yank

and technically we were the re-organized government of Virginia (West Virginia) Given the circumstances that the southern portion of the state seceded the nation... and we didn't... we went about it the most appropriate and most constitutional way possible, or so Abraham Lincoln and his administration thought so at least.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM

6,008 posts, read 8,997,050 times
Just for the record I'm a Yank!

Even though I do love the color gray!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,218,202 times
The thread that refuses to die!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,233,276 times
Not addressing the North/South thing, but the historical thing. Most of what is West Virginia voted to secede with the rest of Virginia. The Restored Government, I hate to say, was a military backed junta, and probably the most successful junta the world has ever seen, because so many people do not recognize it as such. However, Mark Snell in his new book "West Virginia and the Civil War" called the statehood vote a "fiasco", which is absolutely correct. In August of 1862 the Adjutant General of the Restored Government, Henry Samuels, told Pierpont that they could barely count on 22 counties for Union recruitment, and this was 10 months after they had held the statehood vote. Along the West Virginia/Kentucky border West Virginian's were raising Confederate regiments while the Kentuckians were raising Union troops, and yet the historical perceptions are just the opposite of the truth. I would suggest anyone interested in the subject get Dr. Snell's book.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,842,103 times
According to the NCAA WV is now part of the Midwest and Texas region.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 PM

537 posts, read 955,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yeah, but they also think 10 = 12.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,973,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
lol

"like" this

Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,408,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Blasphemy...

and technically we were the re-organized government of Virginia (West Virginia) Given the circumstances that the southern portion of the state seceded the nation... and we didn't... we went about it the most appropriate and most constitutional way possible, or so Abraham Lincoln and his administration thought so at least.
I agree! I moved to from WV to Alabama (and then back to WV . . ) BUT, the Alabama folks definitely considered us Yanks!

From way down south . . WV is 'up North'.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,966 times
I appreciate your response...however, I'm a fairly knowledgable War historian. Consider the facts:
  • Article 4, section 3 of the Federal Constitution provides that "no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislature of the states concerned, as well as of the congress."
  • A large portion (INCLUDING HARRISON AND LEWIS COUNTIES) of the delegates from the Federally occupied western counties (which were voting in the majority for sucession) were physically intimidated from voting by the Federal Army.
  • Out of the 160 counties that comprise the state of Virginia, less than one-fourth have assumed to act for the entire state, even within the boundaries of the new state more than half of the voters have declined to take part in the election. (Like I mentioned in the second bullet point...they were intimidated by the Federal troops at the voting booths!)
  • Please consider a thought by Pennsylvania Representative Thaddeus Stevens of Pennsylvania (a Northerner) who expressed an opinion held by many: "We may admit West Virginia as a new state, not by virtue of any provision of the constitution, but under an absolute power which the laws of war give us. I shall vote for this bill upon that theory, for I will not stultify myself by supposing that we have any warrant in the constitution for this processing".
  • Senator Jefferson Davis (Kentucky -- again, a Northern state) stated: "I hold that there is, legally and constitutionally no such state in existence as the state of West Virginia and consequently no senators from such a state. My object is simply to raise a question to be put upon the record, and to have my name as a Senator recorded against the recognition of West Virginia as a state of the United States. I do not believe that the Old Dominion, like a polypus, can be separated into different segments, and each segment become a living constitutional organism in this node. The present state of West Virginia as it has been organized, and as it is seeking representation on the floor of the Senate, is a flagrant violation of the Constitution."
  • Consider the fact that Stonewall Jackson was born in my hometown of Clarksburg (a fact in which the city is extremely proud).
  • Also, consider the fact that my great-great uncles fought, and lost their lives, against the Northern Aggression from Gilmer County, Virginia (Gilmer Rifles - Va Reg. 1862).
  • Your comment about the "southern counties" is not entirely correct. There were more counties in the eastern part of what is now W.Va that were for the Confederacy than there were southern counties. In fact, most of the counties in eastern Tennessee were Union biased!

I reluctantly appreciate...but appreciate nonetheless, the fact that you are proud of your Union heritage, however, my loyalty will always be (even though the war has been over for almost 150 yrs) for our beloved Confederacy, and Old Virginia.

West Virginians are a proud bunch, and their loyalties run deep, however, a West Virginian can be a Yankee or a Southerner (historically) just as a Marylander, Misourian, Kentuckian, or evan a Tennesseean. There were both in this state, just as there were both in the states I just mentioned!

I agree with whomever stated that Alabama calls WVa yankees. Hell...people in the deep South call North Carolinians yankees! The fact is that most of the violent fighting happened in border states (like WVa, Va, Md, Ky) which had brother vs. brother, cousin vs. cousin, etc.

MY ROOTS (Lewis Co and Gilmer Co) ARE WITH THE SOUTH!

SOUTHERN PRIDE!

and technically we were the re-organized government of Virginia (West Virginia) Given the circumstances that the southern portion of the state seceded the nation... and we didn't... we went about it the most appropriate and most constitutional way possible, or so Abraham Lincoln and his administration thought so at least.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia