U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM

6,539 posts, read 4,826,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
In actuality this study is showing the horrible downturn in regions that spur the country as a whole.

Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle and Atlanta are flat.

West Virginia has 1.7 million people....about 600,000 of them work, the rest are aged, under 18, on
welfare or don't qualify for a job because of drug usage.

The Morgantown market reflects the 4,500 people needed each fall to staff WVU.

This P R piece is about cooking the books to make us look good when we are just average.

What NEW JOBS have been created? Show me that one..(Other that the Marcellus work)

Good Luck...
David, I don't see how you get that. I see growth and prosperity at every turn here... unprecidented construction, unprecidented research growth, 30,000 students, new businesses every week it seems. While it is true the rest of the country has had a terrible economy, we have had steady growth. Is it likely to continue at this pace with the Longview construction completed? No. But continued growth is predicted and in this economy that is simply amazing.

There have been numerous new jobs in research, at The University where they are increasing faculty numbers and support staff to keep the idiots at US News impressed, Mylan has been expanding, and there are numerous new retail establishments. Those areas only look to get better as well as the technology sector and health care fields since Mon General is in expansion mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You see the problem with your claim is marcellius shale isnt just a Morgantown thing. It covers several states, and Morgantown, along with NCWV, dont even have the best gas areas. It does explain some of the growth, but by your logic all areas with it should have increasing income, which is often not the case.
The best gas areas are in the Northern Panhandle. They have "wet gas" that is suitable for use in many manufacturing processes and the natural location for a cracker facility that will likely create thousands of jobs there over time.

NCWV has a gas that is of moderate qualtiy, but still highly desirable and useful. And, it's a relatively short pipeline required to transport our gas to facilities in the New Martinsville area across Wetzel County. The gas here doesn't have quite the employment potential (there will be a significant amount but not like in the Northern Panhandle).

The gas in southern West Virginia is less wet, but still valuable for use as natural gas for home and business energy. They too will get some employment benefit from it but again not at the level of the Northern Panhandle. There will, however, be lots of new rich folks all over the regions where Marcellus is located as they lease their mineral rights and get their royalties.

In all honesty, we have seen significant Marcellus employment around here in the form of drilling personnel who fill up our hotels and restaurants even during the summer months. Since drilling has really only started, that looks to continue for some time to come. I would expect that when they start drilling in southern West Virginia, the same thing will happen there near the wells. The only area not likely to be positively affected in that manner is the small southwest area where there are no Marcellus deposits. Even they might well benefit from transport activities associated with finished products related to gas production.

They claim to have 100 years worth of gas production on tap in this general region, so I would expect that all of us will be long gone before the positive effects stop happening.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM

1,128 posts, read 954,726 times
I really do not see Morgantown as an oasis from the recession. The pay rates for the city are atrocious, especially for the cost of living. There is something screwed up in the fact that one could theoretically work the same job in Pittsburgh and earn substantially more in a city that has a LOWER cost of living. The cars that you have been noticing mainly consist of the following groups of people: 1. Doctors, 2. Engineers, 3. students from the BOS-WASH corridor going to WVU to party on mummy and daddy's dollar. I don't see the growth sustainable until the pay rates don't reflect the fact that you are indeed in WV. I love to see the growth that is going on in the city but it still needs work to become a truly great city

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 3,809,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I really do not see Morgantown as an oasis from the recession. The pay rates for the city are atrocious, especially for the cost of living. There is something screwed up in the fact that one could theoretically work the same job in Pittsburgh and earn substantially more in a city that has a LOWER cost of living. The cars that you have been noticing mainly consist of the following groups of people: 1. Doctors, 2. Engineers, 3. students from the BOS-WASH corridor going to WVU to party on mummy and daddy's dollar. I don't see the growth sustainable until the pay rates don't reflect the fact that you are indeed in WV. I love to see the growth that is going on in the city but it still needs work to become a truly great city
WV was never known for great pay. However, the cost of living is much lower here. Morgantown is actually expensive for WV, but compared to Pittsburgh or DC metro area it is cheap.

Morgantown actually is a wealthy city. It starts to exponentially get poorer as you get further from it.

Right now in Morgantown it is not hard to get job. A lot of places are having trouble getting employees. It has grown but at a slow enough pace that a bubble was never created so the financial woes of the country never affected here.

It has several favorable economic factors that are going to continue to increase its wealth.

THe problem is the city government is incompetent and so is the state government. Morgantown isnt corrupt like the state government, but the local government is comprised of people who think government is bad and wont build public projects. It is a tea party city. We have no zoning, terrible roads, a city that turns down free federal money based off principal, and a corrupt state government.

Under the right leadership Morgantown could be so much wealthier.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 AM

1,128 posts, read 954,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WV was never known for great pay. However, the cost of living is much lower here. Morgantown is actually expensive for WV, but compared to Pittsburgh or DC metro area it is cheap.

Morgantown actually is a wealthy city. It starts to exponentially get poorer as you get further from it.

Right now in Morgantown it is not hard to get job. A lot of places are having trouble getting employees. It has grown but at a slow enough pace that a bubble was never created so the financial woes of the country never affected here.

It has several favorable economic factors that are going to continue to increase its wealth.

THe problem is the city government is incompetent and so is the state government. Morgantown isnt corrupt like the state government, but the local government is comprised of people who think government is bad and wont build public projects. It is a tea party city. We have no zoning, terrible roads, a city that turns down free federal money based off principal, and a corrupt state government.

Under the right leadership Morgantown could be so much wealthier.
This might be personal opinion but I have a family member doing the exact same job in Morgantown that they did in Pittsburgh 30 years ago and they are making the same income. I also know many people who moved to Cleveland and Pittsburgh from Morgantown and have taken substantial pay increases. This may take more time but I think that what is happening is that pay is still adjusting to the cost of living which is relatively high.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Well, I know this much... take out your Post Gazette and look at the employment ads, then take a Dominion Post and do the same. Then come back and talk to us. You are comparing apples to oranges there. For a town with 20 times the permanent population, Pittsburgh offers dramatically fewer opportunities on a per capita basis. That's why your town is losing population, and ours is gaining it.

Morgantown is a college town in character. Pittsburgh is 20 times larger, and has some colleges in it but it is not a college town in character. It actually has a Hill District and many other unsavory aspects associated with it. Those aspects figure into your "low cost of living" analysis, but you fail to mention them. The cost of living is very low in the Pittsburgh slums. It is not low in the better neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia