Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM

306 posts, read 1,243,003 times

Advertisements

Hi i am new to the site.............

I wanted to see how many bites on west va..i was amazed..been here in oak hill about 2.5yrs......i love the area......orig. from fla..the winters well not yet as bad as i thought.......

i agree on what's been said about the job market..sheeesh.....HARD...i am a nurse and still trying to find my niche here..dh went to truck driving school just to feed us..........unfort..we ended up bankruptcy trying to start over here for his family needs..........overall the place is so friendly and i feel safer than ever..not like what i left.............

i agree about the schools.......our ds just graduated this past year and he is MR.......and the services i am trying to find for him to feel like a ''norm''teenager are horrible.........it's like pulling teeth........i have never seen so much red tape for special needs and the services here are getting less and less they tell me.................Good luck in that dept if ya need it..and if ya got any advice for my situation please holler my way..........

still trying to find things to do here...........it's hard with dh out on the road all week..........people are real friendly but they still stay to their own..i love outdoors stuff but again when u are by yourself it's kind of hard.........and yes U have to DRIVE everywhere to anything..and 6miles down the road is like an hour with the curves and mts..........overall i think we made a good move........just WE weren't prepared enough on the job market..and i still feel like an outsider here culture shock.......and they are TRUE to their own...Tootles..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 PM

22 posts, read 70,629 times
Default unbiased view

Hi teth, Ive been here in WV for 5 yrs, self employed formerly of Central NJ. West V is lovely for sure. some things to know, depending on work situation. If you telecommute, or work 'virtually' you will have no problems at all OTHER than possibly landing a good high speed landline.
I lived in Elkins (county seat) and currently in Montrose (boonies). I found Elkins to be great, near things, but in 10 minutes, in the middle of no where. Living is easy, shopping, post office, banks, internet,DMV all nearby. People are friendly. Downside, if you are into nightlife, not the place to be. I'm not, so I may have missed some hidden gem somewhere? I personally loved elkins, and if i wasn't moving out of state in the spring, i would go back there.
There is a hospital In-town, medical issues with mom had me meet many health care workers, pharmacists,etc and they are great people. Id travel to morgantown for major issues or even back to NJ though.

I am currently living what i call the boonies. it is GORGEOUS. I literally see more deer in a month than people. It is not easy living at all and I don't recommend it for anyone needing possible immediate health care, nearby pharmacy,if you can't handle snow, lack of travel in winter, but remote areas of this state cannot be compared to anywhere else. it is fabulous. Its been better since I now have satellite internet.
Hope all goes well, if you have any questions for a non-native please feel free to email me anytime. I would be happy to gather some local info from the chamber of commerce and send it to you.

hope all goes GREAT with your move, you won't regret it!
LindaB
graphicdznr@hotmail.com

Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idesignstuff View Post
Hi teth, Ive been here in WV for 5 yrs, self employed formerly of Central NJ. West V is lovely for sure. some things to know, depending on work situation. If you telecommute, or work 'virtually' you will have no problems at all OTHER than possibly landing a good high speed landline.
I lived in Elkins (county seat) and currently in Montrose (boonies). I found Elkins to be great, near things, but in 10 minutes, in the middle of no where. Living is easy, shopping, post office, banks, internet,DMV all nearby. People are friendly. Downside, if you are into nightlife, not the place to be. I'm not, so I may have missed some hidden gem somewhere? I personally loved elkins, and if i wasn't moving out of state in the spring, i would go back there.
There is a hospital In-town, medical issues with mom had me meet many health care workers, pharmacists,etc and they are great people. Id travel to morgantown for major issues or even back to NJ though.

I am currently living what i call the boonies. it is GORGEOUS. I literally see more deer in a month than people. It is not easy living at all and I don't recommend it for anyone needing possible immediate health care, nearby pharmacy,if you can't handle snow, lack of travel in winter, but remote areas of this state cannot be compared to anywhere else. it is fabulous. Its been better since I now have satellite internet.
Hope all goes well, if you have any questions for a non-native please feel free to email me anytime. I would be happy to gather some local info from the chamber of commerce and send it to you.

hope all goes GREAT with your move, you won't regret it!
LindaB
graphicdznr@hotmail.com

Why are you moving out of state?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:12 AM

22 posts, read 70,629 times
Default because..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Why are you moving out of state?
hi GH, moving out of state to get closer to what I call civilization (NYC,museums,good church,etc), go to school, explore a new area (next on my list is colorado). I will always come back here, mom is here, who knows, after a year I may come running back!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:55 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idesignstuff View Post
hi GH, moving out of state to get closer to what I call civilization (NYC,museums,good church,etc), go to school, explore a new area (next on my list is colorado). I will always come back here, mom is here, who knows, after a year I may come running back!
Yea, I'm in Huntington actually right now at Marshall U. But i always come back at least once every few months. I miss it ha ha ha

Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,802 times
You guys are making me drool over West Virginia. It really does seem like the type of setting my wife and I want. My vacation is approved, so we'll be driving through there in about a month. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait.

Does anyone know what average expenses are like in your wonderful state? We're in a two bedroom apartment in Tulsa for around $600/month right now. I know your cost of living is more similar to us than most other places. I really can't find /any/ information over the net on West Virginia apartments. Do they exist?

Last edited by TethMaw; 08-31-2007 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Added more content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia