U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,230,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
WVU is mostly not state funded, but Bailey is correct that the 20% funding received from the state is vitally important. We should actually be getting more than that, as the state's comprehensive, doctoral level institution. No way we can, or will do with any less than that. But, Morgantown is certainly not the only area to benefit from that 20% funding. I know folks from every corner of the state who have benefitted directly from it. Tim knows them too.
I completely agree and have said this numerous times. Other state schools get over a billion dollars a year. WVU could be a top state university if the state gave it more funds and stopped making the president's job so political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM

549 posts, read 331,795 times
Default rrrr

What a bunch of annoying babble it goes on in each thread. If you have issues take it up with your legislators, I can guarantee that all these areas get more than eastern wv financially. Other parts of wv rely neither on coal or a university be grateful.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM

606 posts, read 611,662 times
I watched a TV program the other day that hosted "Buck Harless", Bill Raney, and Gary White. These people are certain WV has 50+ years of coal left to be mined.

Buck Harless is 92 years old and has contributed much of his wealth to benefit his home town of Gilbert as well as WVU and other organizations.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,755,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
If the state can't give a full $200 million to WVU and that gets cut plus they cut federal education subsidies as they are talking about doing, what do you think that will do to WVU and subsequently the economy up there? As "diversified" as your economy is, it all revolves around WVU and a blow to them would be a blow to your entire economy.

Since you guys don't need the rest of the state though, maybe Mon County can secede and become its own state. Then you can keep everything you produce monetarily and then not take from the rest of us as well. But since you get "nothing" from the state, this would be an improvement, right? Maybe you can lead the charge and be the first governor of the state of Monongalia.
I second that motion. I can't turn the radio dial to the stations up north without hearing the incessant whining. These things happen when people get 2 nickels in their pocket and let it go to their head.

I think coal being done and gone in Mingo/ McDowell county would be the best thing that could ever happened to them. I really don't see how it could get worse. They need better plans for a future far more than WVU needs expansion in an economy getting increasingly prohibitive to higher education. Now, if we were going to behave as one state, I suppose all that brain matter in WVU and Morgantown might glance it's eyes in that direction coming up with some constructive suggestions rather than glare at Charleston over the lollipops the states well fed children won't be getting.

I'm just sayin...

Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 AM

23,504 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I completely agree and have said this numerous times. Other state schools get over a billion dollars a year. WVU could be a top state university if the state gave it more funds and stopped making the president's job so political.
States overall are going to end up with less money to subsidies universitites. That includes WVU unless the state does indeed decide to concentrate on bringing new jobs to the southern part of the state.

Most likely though we continue shipping the jobs to China.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I second that motion. I can't turn the radio dial to the stations up north without hearing the incessant whining. These things happen when people get 2 nickels in their pocket and let it go to their head.

I think coal being done and gone in Mingo/ McDowell county would be the best thing that could ever happened to them. I really don't see how it could get worse. They need better plans for a future far more than WVU needs expansion in an economy getting increasingly prohibitive to higher education. Now, if we were going to behave as one state, I suppose all that brain matter in WVU and Morgantown might glance it's eyes in that direction coming up with some constructive suggestions rather than glare at Charleston over the lollipops the states well fed children won't be getting.

I'm just sayin...
Morgantown has a ton of constructive ideas, but they involve corruption, kleptocracy, cronyism, and increased lobbying so of course we are ignored. The state government is the cause of a lot of WV's problems.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 AM

459 posts, read 810,094 times
"in coming years"? Has either state EVER been in a economic boom?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
"in coming years"? Has either state EVER been in a economic boom?
Yes, when coal was king, but most of the wealth left the state.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,882,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
What a bunch of annoying babble it goes on in each thread. If you have issues take it up with your legislators, I can guarantee that all these areas get more than eastern wv financially. Other parts of wv rely neither on coal or a university be grateful.
Grateful but below the level of poverty is still below the level of poverty.

University towns, and particularly states with quality higher education, weather economic downturns far better than WV does right now. I love your state and feel that expanding WVU and Marshall would do a lot of good for the cities they're in as well as the state. Universities contribute much to the white collar business climate in a state and sometimes pay for themselves in the tax revenue generated by their alums and the companies they spurn. There's a reason North Carolina is home to so many high-end corporations!

I guarantee you it's easier to get a job in Mankato, MN than Huntington, WV.

I'd personally like to see more higher education investment in West Virginia. Hell, if Wheeling had a Ph.D. granting university I'd put it as my top choice, likely :P

Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM

6,888 posts, read 5,395,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

I'm just sayin...
It's important to recognize that our beefs up here are legitimate, and long standing. We could easily grow exponentially, helping the state in general with additional tax revenues and so forth if state government got off its duff and provided us with the highway infrastructure (on federal and state numbered highways) that is clearly their responsibility to provide. They choose to build roads in areas without demonstrated need, while ignoring those with obvious need. The reaction is predictable.

And, WVU has often been at the forefront in terms of offering suggestions to southern West Virginia for means of improving their lot. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. There is simply not much value placed on higher education in those areas. Unless there is a change in attitude in Mingo and McDowell, the area will continue to slip in standing.

As to your notion that we have a couple nickles in our pocket and let it go to our head... you are full of it. The people in this area got where they are the hard way... with hard work and by taking full advantage of opportunities as they presented themselves. They provides a great workforce for Milan Pharma, for example, and that firm continues to thrive and provide great employment opportunities for residents. Our University is doing well because it provides services that studnets seek and want in terms of higher education. If it weren't doing a better job than some others, it wouldn't be doing as well.

The only thing we expect from the state is recognition of our needs on a basis comparable with what you have been getting in the southern part of the state. As for The University, it deserves support based on its obvious merit and as the state's foremost, doctoral level institution. That benefits everyone in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia