U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: at the foot of my mountain
459 posts, read 1,189,164 times
Reputation: 216

Advertisements

I went to college and graduate school of out state but since my car technically belonged to my dad, it had WV tags. Invariably, where ever I would go I would get "What part of WV are you from?" It got to the point where I could see it comin' whether I was pumping gas, getting out at a parking lot or once, even being approached by the guy behind me in line at a stop light (!!). I have since had tags from VA, TN, FL, MS and don't ever get that question. Why do you think that is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
 
Location: 304
5,327 posts, read 7,668,716 times
Reputation: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
I went to college and graduate school of out state but since my car technically belonged to my dad, it had WV tags. Invariably, where ever I would go I would get "What part of WV are you from?" It got to the point where I could see it comin' whether I was pumping gas, getting out at a parking lot or once, even being approached by the guy behind me in line at a stop light (!!). I have since had tags from VA, TN, FL, MS and don't ever get that question. Why do you think that is?
Everybody loves WV They just want to hear more about it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,136,357 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
I went to college and graduate school of out state but since my car technically belonged to my dad, it had WV tags. Invariably, where ever I would go I would get "What part of WV are you from?" It got to the point where I could see it comin' whether I was pumping gas, getting out at a parking lot or once, even being approached by the guy behind me in line at a stop light (!!). I have since had tags from VA, TN, FL, MS and don't ever get that question. Why do you think that is?
The people asking are probably from WV and being friendly.

In Texas I had some guy talk to me at a rest stop because he was from Kentucky so we were part of a similar area, and he liked martial arts and I had stickers on my car.

People from Appalachia are friendly. Half the people from outside of it think West Virginia is Western Virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,713 times
Reputation: 10
I lived in WV for a year and it's very nice there. When I see one now I'm curious what part of the state the owner of the car is from.

Before moving there though, I had never even seen a WV license plate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: at the foot of my mountain
459 posts, read 1,189,164 times
Reputation: 216
Yes, I understand the friendliness factor and yes, most of the inquiries came from folks with WV tags, but my question is why just WV? I mean, when I have Mississippi tags, people from Jackson don't ask where in MS I'm from, nor does the same happen in other states. I was especially confounded by the way several would actually, like "chase me down" to ask. They were SO excited. Got a kick out of that...A conundrum, I say!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Location: The Lakes
2,372 posts, read 4,757,769 times
Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Yes, I understand the friendliness factor and yes, most of the inquiries came from folks with WV tags, but my question is why just WV? I mean, when I have Mississippi tags, people from Jackson don't ask where in MS I'm from, nor does the same happen in other states. I was especially confounded by the way several would actually, like "chase me down" to ask. They were SO excited. Got a kick out of that...A conundrum, I say!
WV plates don't have counties and since most people who were asking were from West Virginia, they get curious.

Mississippi plates have counties, so when they see a Mississippi tag they can usually make a good estimation at least.

I noticed the same when I switched from Illinois to Kentucky tags. Hell, I find myself guilty when standing in line of asking what part of Illinois people who get carded in front of me are from. Once, I met a guy who grew up 2 blocks down the street from me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Western Pennsylvania
2,429 posts, read 6,825,623 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Yes, I understand the friendliness factor and yes, most of the inquiries came from folks with WV tags, but my question is why just WV? I mean, when I have Mississippi tags, people from Jackson don't ask where in MS I'm from, nor does the same happen in other states. I was especially confounded by the way several would actually, like "chase me down" to ask. They were SO excited. Got a kick out of that...A conundrum, I say!
My theories...

West Virginians are clannish, in the "loyal Scot" sense. Everyone from West Virginia is part of the same clan (at least we think that way). So we chase down fellow WV license plates, in case we might know them, or know someone in common, or as UK^3 notes, grew up nearby.

For about half a century, West Virginia's population was stagnant or declining. I refuse to believe that Mountaineers reproduce at a significantly lower rate than the rest of the country. Instead, we've been exporting population to other states. In effect, we've been "seeding" those other states with people that have ties to West Virginia. BTW, in part I think that explains WVU's #21 brand ranking and reputation for traveling well. Combine that with the clannishness explained above, and you have the phenomena that started this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,655,016 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
My theories...

West Virginians are clannish, in the "loyal Scot" sense. Everyone from West Virginia is part of the same clan (at least we think that way). So we chase down fellow WV license plates, in case we might know them, or know someone in common, or as UK^3 notes, grew up nearby.

For about half a century, West Virginia's population was stagnant or declining. I refuse to believe that Mountaineers reproduce at a significantly lower rate than the rest of the country. Instead, we've been exporting population to other states. In effect, we've been "seeding" those other states with people that have ties to West Virginia. BTW, in part I think that explains WVU's #21 brand ranking and reputation for traveling well. Combine that with the clannishness explained above, and you have the phenomena that started this thread.
I've yet to see another WV plate out here in AZ..haha Jake has even switched his plates to AZ but I still have my WV plates. I just bought a new car in May in WV and paid taxes there, I'm not about to pay them again... at a much higher rate mind you... here in AZ. I can get away with it too since I'm a full time out of state paying post grad student at ASU.

However, I get excited in general when I see PA, MD, VA or even OH tags..haha I'm like hey.... we're neighbors..haha

Lots of Minnesota, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico plates here, and of course the people from California who got their drivers licenses in cereal boxes...ugh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,410 posts, read 5,674,971 times
Reputation: 6152
Personally I love WV.

I always ask when I see a WV plate. Same with PA and NY. My three favorite states. <3
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 04:25 AM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
852 posts, read 1,406,491 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
WV plates don't have counties and since most people who were asking were from West Virginia, they get curious.

Mississippi plates have counties, so when they see a Mississippi tag they can usually make a good estimation at least.

I noticed the same when I switched from Illinois to Kentucky tags. Hell, I find myself guilty when standing in line of asking what part of Illinois people who get carded in front of me are from. Once, I met a guy who grew up 2 blocks down the street from me!
It would be cool with WV plates had the counties on them. PA is the same way.

When I lived in WV, I kept the dealer tag holder and the front dealer tag on the car. Most people live in the same general area where they buy their cars. I was that was my way of letting people know where I lived in the state.

When I bought my new car in PA, I did the same thing. I notice a lot of WV and PA cars have the dealer tag holder still in place...more so than in other places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top