U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:08 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,023,273 times
This should shed some light on things dry wet and moist:
Dry county - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WV has opted to allow local communities to define their policies, and their policies seem rather liberal judging from the map.

That Yuengling beer from PA ban seems like a blue law. Maybe with the advent of micro brewery brands it's since been repealed. I'll bet you could get to the bottom of it if you called the Yuengling company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,183,403 times
I think "dry" might mean something other than "no alcohol for sale in any form."

WV has separate categories for hard liquor, wine and beer, and also between establishments that sell for off-premises consumption (i.e., a liquor store, or a convenience store that sells six-packs) and on-premises (a restaurant or bar).

So "dry" might just mean that the town has voted not to allow package stores that sell liquor, or maybe liquor by the drink, but sales of beer could be OK. So far, I've not found anything definitive.

You can go to the ABCA web site and search by county for the various categories of licenses in each county. For example, one of the counties listed in Post #2 as being dry is Calhoun. The database shows 9 establishments with a license of some kind, but all seem to be small stores, none sound like it's a "package store".

As to Yuengling... it might just be a marketing decision, the cost of advertising, setting up a distributor network, salespeople, etc., might not be worth it in a small market like West Virginia.

Snorpus

Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 5,126,286 times
If dry counties have bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, then what is the purpose of a dry county? Why not sell alcohol in liquor stores, grocery stores, etc? What's the purpose of a dry county? It seems silly. It would bring more tax revenue in and people wouldn't have to drive 15 miles to buy a bottle of wine or beer, etc. If the reason is DUI's, you'd think it would be the opposite. Package liquor only so people take it home to drink it instead of drinking in a bar and then driving home.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Hey, I heard from military buddies that Louisianna has drive thru's that sell alcohol. Maybe that degree of wet could be categorized as torrential! lol

Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 4,769,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Hey, I heard from military buddies that Louisianna has drive thru's that sell alcohol. Maybe that degree of wet could be categorized as torrential! lol
There's a drive through in Romney, I mean you actually drive through the store and get your beer or wine. If you want liqour you have to walk in to get that though.

I recently moved from Anne Arundel county MD and they had drive up's on every corner.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:26 PM

706 posts, read 726,390 times
Louisiana has actual drive thru's where you go through the line and get a drink to go, similiar to going through McDonald's and getting a coke. This is the only place I have ever seen that. Apparently you can drink and drive in Louisiana.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
Liquor and WV are a funny thing. The county I am in is not designated as dry, but you would think so from the lack of package stores. There are two places that I have found that sell wine and such - in convenience stores and in Wal-Mart in the grocery section. The one convenience store has a store within a store - but the prices certainly reflect convenience store prices.

Since I travel further north frequently, I stop off in NH and buy from the state liquor stores. I have quite a stash both in Maine and in WV... thanks to NH. Oh and I stocked up on my favorite wine from the Lakeridge Winery in central Florida before I left. That should be enough for a decade or so.

Dry counties? Won't and doesn't affect me.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Default how dry I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Liquor and WV are a funny thing. The county I am in is not designated as dry, but you would think so from the lack of package stores. There are two places that I have found that sell wine and such - in convenience stores and in Wal-Mart in the grocery section. The one convenience store has a store within a store - but the prices certainly reflect convenience store prices.

Since I travel further north frequently, I stop off in NH and buy from the state liquor stores. I have quite a stash both in Maine and in WV... thanks to NH. Oh and I stocked up on my favorite wine from the Lakeridge Winery in central Florida before I left. That should be enough for a decade or so.

Dry counties? Won't and doesn't affect me.
Another blogger posted a statistics site called state master.
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea...heavy-drinkers

Despite the negative things said about WV, another statistic where WV comes in dead last (that I consider to be a positive thing) is population of heavy drinkers. I think that's likely the reason the marketplace for liquor in WV is limited- demand dictates supply.
WV is number 1 in diabetics, who definately can't drink, unless they don't feel like living anymore. My guess is that genetic forms of diabetes (juvenile) are less prevalent than adult onset versions, because the population of WV tends to be older than most states. They didn't break it down further than that catch all heading. Statistics are tricky to interpret sometimes.
According to this website, wisconsin is very very thirsty, hawaiians are saner than us all (without admitting how much they drink), and you've got a better chance to win the lottery 5 times than sustain an alligator attack in WV.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
I'd be interested to know where those stats came from and how they can possibly be accurate. I mean, there is a stigma with drinking - what with drinking and driving, drinking and domestic disturbances, drinking at sporting events, drinking and hunting, you get the picture. It doesn't take a PhD to know it is better to be conservative with your answer if anyone in a position of authority asks, "How much do you drink?" A heavy drinker will never answer that question honestly.

I am aware that I am not the only one buying liquor in NH in my travels. For heaven's sake, the liquor stores are right off the interstate and many are incorporated into rest areas. It's really hard to miss them - with signs on and over the interstate directing motorists to them.

I would think that NH would be top on the list. But apparently, the stats have nothing to do with liquor sales statewide. So my question comes up again - where did they get those stats?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:04 AM

57 posts, read 100,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
From a Google search for "dry counties" "West Virginia":

Brooke - Only the Town of Bethany
Calhoun - Entire county
Grant - Entire county, except the City of Petersburg
Hampshire - Only the Town of Capon Bridge
Jackson - Entire county, except the Cities of Ripley and Ravenswood
Kanawha - Only the Town of East Bank
Lincoln - Entire county, except Town of Hamlin
Marion - Only the Town of Worthington
Pocahontas - Entire county, except the Town of Durbin and City of Marlington
Roane - Entire county, except the City of Spencer
Uspshur - Entire county, except the City of Buckhannon
Wayne - Only the Towns of Wayne and Fort Gay
Wetzel - Entire county, except the City of New Martinsville and the Town of Hundred

Google is your friend.

Snorpus
All of Hampshire co is about dry. The police and new sherif are determined to make the entire co dry. Romney is so bad they sit out side and wit for you to come out. One happy bar in Romney besides the VFW and Legion. Brass Rail is a jumping place though. You just better have a designated driver if you drink. Probably 1/3 of the co. are 'not old family', but the ones who are home grown are very nice and helpful. Capon Bridge has it's own officer but I don't believe it is legally 'dry'. I have partied there at teh Legion a lot. It is just that the cops are watching.
It is a BEAUTIFUL area if you like hunting, fishing, and a geat view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia