U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 91,690 times

Advertisements

I know there are alot of dry counties in Kentucky. Can someone tell me where I can find a listing of the dry counties in West Virginia? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:51 PM

2,384 posts, read 4,524,211 times
From a Google search for "dry counties" "West Virginia":

Brooke - Only the Town of Bethany
Calhoun - Entire county
Grant - Entire county, except the City of Petersburg
Hampshire - Only the Town of Capon Bridge
Jackson - Entire county, except the Cities of Ripley and Ravenswood
Kanawha - Only the Town of East Bank
Lincoln - Entire county, except Town of Hamlin
Marion - Only the Town of Worthington
Pocahontas - Entire county, except the Town of Durbin and City of Marlington
Roane - Entire county, except the City of Spencer
Uspshur - Entire county, except the City of Buckhannon
Wayne - Only the Towns of Wayne and Fort Gay
Wetzel - Entire county, except the City of New Martinsville and the Town of Hundred

Google is your friend.

Snorpus

Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM

306 posts, read 868,233 times
let me ask a STUPID question...is this like wet/dry land or is this DRY county no alcohol.........just curious............so i can understand what i am looking at...

Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Dry as in alcohol.

No liquor stores. But I'm not sure if it covers "liquor-by-the-drink" in restaurants and bars, organizations like the VFW and American Legion, etc.

Decades ago, when I was a young-un, the state ran the liquor store system (like PA still does today). Today the stores are privately run, but I'm not up on the rest of the rules.

Snorpus

Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,821,712 times
So there are some problems with this... I've drank in Marion county several times, as well as in Upshur. I don't understand how these are dry counties. Maybe way back in the day, but I don't think we have any actually dry counties in WV and if we do I can't imagine it being enforced!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM

This is a current list... I actually got it from a winery association web site, since out-of-state wineries have to watch that they don't ship to an address in a "dry" location.

It might only apply to bottle sales. So, maybe, you can buy by the drink (or can of beer, or glass of wine) in dry counties (I'm thinking Snowshoe, in dry Pocahontas), but not an entire bottle.

Snorpus

Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM

I've lived in the area my whole life, and I haven't heard of Upshur or Pocahontas being dry. Nor have any of my friends..... I'm not sure. I don't think its enforced. I'm pretty sure you can get liqour at like Rite Aid in Buckhannon...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Ahhh, but the City of Buckhannon is a "wet" area within a dry county.

I know on the north end of Marlinton, the liquor store has a sign that says "Last Liquor Before Snowshoe".

Back in the 70s, drinks were only legal in "private clubs". So the ruse was that every restaurant that wanted to sell by the drink would have a "private club"... as I recall, membership was something like $2, and your first drink (or two) was free!

Snorpus

Old 08-27-2007, 07:10 PM

I think dry counties are bullsh*t. This is America, you should be allowed to drink in your county. I mean if some people dont like being around alcohol, don't go to a bar and don't drink, its weird. Randolph county certainly is wet Thank god

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM

29 posts, read 91,690 times
Default Dry, Moist, Wet

Dry counties don't mean you can't drink in that county. It only means you can't buy alcohol in that county.

Moist counties serve alcohol at events or in restaurants.

Wet...well you get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia