Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

NCWV towns continue to garner national honors...

The 19,000 member National League of Cities has named Clarksburg the Nation's Best Small City of the Year:

Clarksburg Wins 'Small City of the Year'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Wow, This is a shock.

I really have a hard time seeing this one. I guess they are including Bridgeport? If that were the case then sure, but Clarksburg by itself isn't that impressive. In fact, I'd say that Fairmont is doing a better job of attracting business and people over city proper Clarksburg.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
I'm surprised as well. Last time I was in downtown CLBG three years ago for a wedding I thought it seemed a little run down and like a ghost town. It does have some nice architecture and from what I hear some nice authentic Italian restaraunts.

Congrats to all Clarksburgan's

Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Clarksburg's business park is outstanding. It is a safe and economically growing small town with some of the world's best Italian food. The FBI put Clarksburg on the map in a big way.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Clarksburg's business park is outstanding. It is a safe and economically growing small town with some of the world's best Italian food. The FBI put Clarksburg on the map in a big way.
World's best Italian food? LOL bit of a exageration don't you think? I dont think any Italian food in WV can be compared even nationally, let alone world.

And we are justing talking about Clarksburg city, not Bridgeport as being a suprise. The two together are really nice, but if it was just old Clarksburg alone, then I would have a real hard time believing it.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
World's best Italian food? LOL bit of a exageration don't you think? I dont think any Italian food in WV can be compared even nationally, let alone world.

And we are justing talking about Clarksburg city, not Bridgeport as being a suprise. The two together are really nice, but if it was just old Clarksburg alone, then I would have a real hard time believing it.
You're confusing quality of food with ambience. I lived in the NYC area for many years. They certainly have more ritzy Italian restaurants there than we do in West Virginia. The wait staff is better dressed, there is better music, the lighting is better, etc. The price is also four times higher, but the quality of the food is not one bit better than you will find in Clarksburg.

Clarksburg is wonderful because it has character. All the brand new development in the world can not provide that. The town itself is old, and old can sometimes appear seedy, but in Clarksburg's case it is clean and safe, and it has character. My hometown of Wheeling has at least as much character, but parts of it lack some of the positive character you find in Clarksburg. In some ways, the town is unique in our state.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You're confusing quality of food with ambience. I lived in the NYC area for many years. They certainly have more ritzy Italian restaurants there than we do in West Virginia. The wait staff is better dressed, there is better music, the lighting is better, etc. The price is also four times higher, but the quality of the food is not one bit better than you will find in Clarksburg.

Clarksburg is wonderful because it has character. All the brand new development in the world can not provide that. The town itself is old, and old can sometimes appear seedy, but in Clarksburg's case it is clean and safe, and it has character. My hometown of Wheeling has at least as much character, but parts of it lack some of the positive character you find in Clarksburg. In some ways, the town is unique in our state.
Still wouldn't put the quality of Italian Food in "world perspective"
I'm not saying its bad, but give me a break.

I'm sorry, but some parts of Clarksburg are an absolute dump. There is no new development in the city itself, and to tell you the truth the town is unattractive. The other day I was driving through Clarksburg's communities of Anmoore, and Industrial and was thinking that this place is just as bad as some areas down in the coal fields. Bridgeport is really nice though, and I bet that is the only reason that they won. The two towns are almost night and day.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Still wouldn't put the quality of Italian Food in "world perspective"
I'm not saying its bad, but give me a break.

I'm sorry, but some parts of Clarksburg are an absolute dump. There is no new development in the city itself, and to tell you the truth the town is unattractive. The other day I was driving through Clarksburg's communities of Anmoore, and Industrial and was thinking that this place is just as bad as some areas down in the coal fields. Bridgeport is really nice though, and I bet that is the only reason that they won. The two towns are almost night and day.
Anmoore is a separate, purely industrial small town. I've been to Italy three times. American Italian food is actually superior to what you get over there mostly because we have access to better ingredients here. But, other than Italian seafood (there is a good Italian seafood restaurant in Morgantown but as far as I know Clarksburg doesn't have that), the Italian food in Clarksburg is as good as it gets. Some of the very best Italian food comes from restaurants with a very modest motif.

All older towns have some seedy parts. The difference with Clarksburg, is theirs is not a ghetto. It is perfectly safe anywhere there, at any time of day. That is basically true anywhere in NCWV, but none more so than Clarksburg. The same could not be said for Wheeling, Charleston, or some of the state's other towns.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Well, I"m not sure about Clarksburg being a 'top' small town ~ but I will agree that I miss the fantastic Italian food in Cburg, Bport, and Fairmont!!!

I've not had any better.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Anmoore is a separate, purely industrial small town. I've been to Italy three times. American Italian food is actually superior to what you get over there mostly because we have access to better ingredients here. But, other than Italian seafood (there is a good Italian seafood restaurant in Morgantown but as far as I know Clarksburg doesn't have that), the Italian food in Clarksburg is as good as it gets. Some of the very best Italian food comes from restaurants with a very modest motif.

All older towns have some seedy parts. The difference with Clarksburg, is theirs is not a ghetto. It is perfectly safe anywhere there, at any time of day. That is basically true anywhere in NCWV, but none more so than Clarksburg. The same could not be said for Wheeling, Charleston, or some of the state's other towns.
I find the quality of food in the United States lacking, especially compared to South America. In Brazil I could cheaply get fresh meat and produce that would cost you a fortune in the USA.

Can't comment on Italy. I have been to Spain, the UK, the Netherlands, and a few other countries. I found that some food is generally of higher quality, while other food is generally of lower quality.

As for Clarksburg having the best food Italian food in the US I cant comment. I will ask who gave them this title? Is it self-proclaimed, or did some organization or individual make this claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia