Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 AM

27 posts, read 59,161 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Leesburg but in an effort to not pay the ridiculous prices for real estate, my family has narrowed the new town we will live in to either Harpers Ferry or Charles Town. They are both beautiful. Which one has more things to do along the lines of festivals, parades and farmer's markets, and the usual small town things that really bring out the atmosphere of being in a historic place. My husband loves hunting and fishing and we things both places are a great fit for us. Which has the best schools? We will have a kiddo starting in Kindergarten. Are there places that we can let our dog off the leash to run around? Our state is pretty strict on leash laws. ANY info helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,488 times
Well, given that Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are about 10 miles apart, I'd guess that any local festivals would be accessible from either one. I believe that both have town festivals once or twice a year, we go to both. I know that Charles Town has a farmers market in their downtown area .... I'm not sure about Harpers Ferry, but I can't imagine that they don't.

Harpers Ferry feeds into Jefferson High School, Charles Town splits between Washington High School and Jefferson High. My kids have attended both and we've been very satisfied with the local elementary thru high schools.

I think that it just comes down to your personal preference between the two towns. Both are great places to live. From Charles Town, you could get to Leesburg via Rt 9 (two lane in VA) or south on Rt 340 to Rt 7 east in Berryville (mostly 4 lane). I live in Charles Town, so I can't provide much info on the Leesburg commute from Harpers Ferry. I know that you can cross the river at Harpers Ferry and then cross Rt 671 (Harpers Ferry Rd) to merge with Rt 9 into Leesburg. But I can't say anything about that commute nor any alternatives.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,742 times
Default Route 9

Warning: route 9 is a dangerous, dangerous road. You would be better served taking 340 to route 9. Conduct a Internet search and you will see just how many accidents occurred on that road and how many deaths last year. (Virginia and West Virginia side)

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
Depends on what you're used to. I would prefer charles Town because you would be closer to things that you would need, but if you prefer privacy or more land you could live out of charles town. I'm not real familiar with hapers ferry, but I didn't think there was a lot of housing in the area its mostly historical. I've driven 9 and it doesn't seem any worse then any other country road, but I've driven these types of roads my whole life.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM

537 posts, read 958,689 times
Dude, they're like 5 miles apart! Enjoy them both. Get a house in between them. Heck, come live where we are, in the epicenter of the Triangle of Joy, between Charles Town and Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown to boot!

Harpers Ferry does have a MARC train station, btw, if that matters.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM

166 posts, read 362,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagarunt22 View Post
Are there places that we can let our dog off the leash to run around? Our state is pretty strict on leash laws. ANY info helps. Thanks!
There aren't any dog parks in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia (yet), though I believe one may be in the works for Jefferson County. The closest is probably in Winchester Virginia. You have to pay to use it. I have never been there so I can't tell you much about it, except that it sounds small and doesn't provide any drinking or playing water for the dogs.

We used to regularly take our dog here: http://www.leesburgcaninecountryclub.com/ It's a private "dog park" in Leesburg, VA. It's a bit of a drive, so we bought passes rather than a membership. I love that all the dogs have to be temperament tested to join. We haven't been in ages though due to work schedules and the difficulty of having a toddler with us. (Kids under 8 aren't allowed in the pens, but there is a separate playground).

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I've driven 9 and it doesn't seem any worse then any other country road, but I've driven these types of roads my whole life.
I rarely commute on Rt 9, so I'm certainly not the expert. But the section of Rt 9 between Charles Town and Leesburg, during rush hour in the early morning, pre-dawn hours, has always been problematic. It's a two lane road with alot of twists and turns ... add in some ice or snow, a few deer, a massive number of folks in a hurry to get to work and the occassionaly negligent driver ..... I'd guess that's where/when the majority of accidents are happening. The evening return commute might be slightly better.

Rt 9 is a nice, scenic byway thru the country .... it's during the times of the day when it's a major commuting highway that things change.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 AM

144 posts, read 317,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Depends on what you're used to. I would prefer charles Town because you would be closer to things that you would need, but if you prefer privacy or more land you could live out of charles town. I'm not real familiar with hapers ferry, but I didn't think there was a lot of housing in the area its mostly historical. I've driven 9 and it doesn't seem any worse then any other country road, but I've driven these types of roads my whole life.
Try commuting on it during rush hour which starts about 5 AM here.

There is a huge difference from Harpers Ferry on the mountain and Harpers Ferry proper or on the north side of the river. Harpers Ferry is the address for most if not all of the mountain yet as the crow flies some is closer to Charles Town.

My opinion is to spend a couple days looking around the area and looking on Google maps to see exactly where the house you are looking at is.

Once you narrow it down it and give us exact areas it will be easier to give an opinion.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 PM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
Point taken I've never driven it during rush hour but like a former poster mentioned I would explore the entire area, it isn't a large area between the towns.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM

27 posts, read 59,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Dude, they're like 5 miles apart! Enjoy them both. Get a house in between them. Heck, come live where we are, in the epicenter of the Triangle of Joy, between Charles Town and Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown to boot!

Harpers Ferry does have a MARC train station, btw, if that matters.

Does the MARC go to Leesburg? I tried looking up routes and it looked like it was a D.C. train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia