Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,974,775 times

Advertisements

I'd say that within the next 20-30 years the counties that Corridor H runs though will see significant and substantial growth as the region opens up to the DC metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM

6,010 posts, read 9,005,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'd say that within the next 20-30 years the counties that Corridor H runs though will see significant and substantial growth as the region opens up to the DC metro.
Agree 100%

But some people on this forum can't get past their sniffers to see the possibility that road will bring to WV.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,993,383 times
What are you basing your 100% agreement on? The system as designed will essentially dead end at the Virginia line. It won't be open to anything from the East. It will be more open from Morgantown and Buckhannon, that's true, but the huge development you predict wouldn't be met in that fashion.

You guys are missing the real issue. The reason much of West Virginia isn't developed has to do with the fact that, especially on the southern end, there is a low value attached to education in the homes. That, and the fact the state is one of the least business friendly states provides your answer.
Change attitudes about education, stop allowing unions to dictate politics, and the state would take off like wildfire. It is one of the richest resources places in the world. Then you would actually need the roads you are touting.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,993,383 times
Default Another Potential Growth Area

My own opinion is the Wheeling-Moundsville to New Martinsville area will see mega growth in the coming years. It is in the heart of the "wet" Marcellus and Utica shale plays, and many thousands of jobs will likely flow into that area and nearby eastern Ohio as a result of that. It might take a few years to develop, but I can't see any way it won't happen. The Wheeling area might well reclaim the former glory it had during the heavy industry years.

The Upper Ohio Valley, Mon Valley/NCWV, and Eastern Panhandle are positioned for continued growth in the coming years.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 AM

552 posts, read 735,776 times
Va will open up their end once the project is complete, you have to remember that road has been in the works since the 50's or 60's. This road will be a big deal, but they need to get the thing done already.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 AM

6,010 posts, read 9,005,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
What are you basing your 100% agreement on? The system as designed will essentially dead end at the Virginia line. It won't be open to anything from the East. It will be more open from Morgantown and Buckhannon, that's true, but the huge development you predict wouldn't be met in that fashion.

You guys are missing the real issue. The reason much of West Virginia isn't developed has to do with the fact that, especially on the southern end, there is a low value attached to education in the homes. That, and the fact the state is one of the least business friendly states provides your answer.
Change attitudes about education, stop allowing unions to dictate politics, and the state would take off like wildfire. It is one of the richest resources places in the world. Then you would actually need the roads you are touting.
100% agreement on the idea that Corridor H will allow communities along it to grow. I don't know why that is so hard to cunderstand.

Virginia will do their part because it is mostly a federal highway, not a state one. Remember Pork? Virginia may not like it, but it will pass through their state too.

How are we missing the real issues? I agree about those ideas you brought on the table, but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about growth from visitation to our state off this road. Maybe you should do your homework because the impact this road can have is powerful stuff.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Some people honestly won't like corridor h because it will essentially cause many travelers to bypass morgantown. If you were from nova for example you would take 66 west to 81 north to corridor h then connect with 79 near weston. I would say that this would reduce travel through morgantown by as much as 10% but that is just a guess, but if you look at a map you will see what Im saying. It just depends on start and end points. If you go north to pittsburgh you will still go that way but south you would take corridor h. I'd say that would hurt morgantown pretty hard, but help the potomac highlands region.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,845,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Some people honestly won't like corridor h because it will essentially cause many travelers to bypass morgantown. If you were from nova for example you would take 66 west to 81 north to corridor h then connect with 79 near weston. I would say that this would reduce travel through morgantown by as much as 10% but that is just a guess, but if you look at a map you will see what Im saying. It just depends on start and end points. If you go north to pittsburgh you will still go that way but south you would take corridor h. I'd say that would hurt morgantown pretty hard, but help the potomac highlands region.
What are you talking about? I dont see how corridor H would affect Morgantown at all. If someone from NOVA wanted to go to Southern or central WV I dont see why they would go anywhere near Morgantown. Corridor H wont effect Morgantown at all. Morgantown traffic is not affected by people from NOVA trying to get into the corridor H area, and nobody is going to use corridor H since it is in the middle of nowhere and connects to nowhere.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,974,775 times
Corridor H is almost a straight line directly West of DC through all the way through to 79. In fact DC and Elkins are on the same parallel.... Some people might not remember very well because its been many, many decades since they were in school but the shortest distance from point A to point B is a straight line. Plus... The southern portion of North Central and the Potomac Highlands area has abundance of land that can be developed along with the best scenery available in WV. That coupled with the close proximity to new markets and existing markets will only add to the spillover from the increased tourism in the area.

Keep in mind nearly all the counties in this region are continuing steady positive population growth and significant increases in home values... which in turn brings more money into the local coffers via taxes. (Still very reasonable rates)

In the past 10 years Elkins has completely taken advantage of the cultural tourism boom. In addition to having the largest and oldest festival in the state, 3 ski resorts, and 2 others potentially planned. The development of the rail yard with the Durbin and Greenbrier Railroad has made Elkins the number 1 destination for stagecoach buses in West Virginia in just a few short years. The American Mountain Theater opened up and expanded a few years ago... now there is another large dinner theater The Gandy Dancer along the 5-Lane. Downtown has people and tourists shopping, dining, staying, and playing alongside each other.

If the towns along the route also take advantage or develop their own niches.. The opportunities are endless.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What are you talking about? I dont see how corridor H would affect Morgantown at all. If someone from NOVA wanted to go to Southern or central WV I dont see why they would go anywhere near Morgantown. Corridor H wont effect Morgantown at all. Morgantown traffic is not affected by people from NOVA trying to get into the corridor H area, and nobody is going to use corridor H since it is in the middle of nowhere and connects to nowhere.
You completely missed my point. Let's break it down using my old hometown as an example. I have family in charleston, wv and used to live in romney, wv in hampshire county. Use mapquest I would go through morgantown. With corridor h built I would use that highway to get to charleston bypassing morgantown because this would be faster. So anyone traveling from say romney to charleston would never go through morgantown. This would be true for several locations on a map. So yea less travelers equals less money spent on gas, hotels, food, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia