Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
You completely missed my point. Let's break it down using my old hometown as an example. I have family in charleston, wv and used to live in romney, wv in hampshire county. Use mapquest I would go through morgantown. With corridor h built I would use that highway to get to charleston bypassing morgantown because this would be faster. So anyone traveling from say romney to charleston would never go through morgantown. This would be true for several locations on a map. So yea less travelers equals less money spent on gas, hotels, food, etc.
LOL, are you serious?

First of all I would love to see a figure showing that 10% of morgantown would be reduced by corridor H. I can only think of a few extreme examples of it reducing any traffic. I would be surprised if it reduced it 1%. That is assuming they even stop in Morgantown and not the hundred other possible options.

Finally if it reduced Morgantown traffic 50% we actually have a local economy. Morgantown is not a giant rest area. There are parts of WV where the BP and McDonalds might be the main economic activity, a good portion of corridor H actually. Morgantown doesnt have one of the best economies in the country because of food, gas, and lodging. However, this scenario doesnt even apply since corridor H doesnt even affect Morgantown.

I am not even against Corridor H, per se. I am against a wasteful project that wont impact this state when Morgantown, which is now the most important city in WV, needs better infrastructure. Morgantown is not asking a 100+ mile highway to the middle of nowhere, but the widening of some roads, and 1 or 2 dozen miles of new roads. Once Morgantown gets the very basics that it should have gotten a long time I would fully support Corridor H. It is an issue of priorities. Important ones first, and then other ones.

Although you do make a good point. What will Morgantown do if you would get your gas somewhere else, LULZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
I said 10% would be my estimate on travelers through morgantown not everyday commuters. Obviously if you knew how to use a map you would see what I'm saying. I would like to know why you find it beneficial to argue with anyone that makes a comment. I have no bias in this, I do not live in morgantown nor do I live in the counties that corridor H will run through. I was simply making a valid point, morgantown will lose travelers going east to west, not all but some. If you don't think that will have any affect on businesses then that's fine, but I disagree. Sure morgantown has a strong economy, but that doesn't mean that it won't hurt the hotels etc. As a financial analyst I feel I have knowledge in this area.

It really doesnt matter anyway because the project completion time is a long ways off.

Last edited by boycewv; 01-25-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I said 10% would be my estimate on travelers through morgantown not everyday commuters. Obviously if you knew how to use a map you would see what I'm saying. I would like to know why you find it beneficial to argue with anyone that makes a comment. I have no bias in this, I do not live in morgantown nor do I live in the counties that corridor H will run through. I was simply making a valid point, morgantown will lose travelers going east to west, not all but some. If you don't think that will have any affect on businesses then that's fine, but I disagree. Sure morgantown has a strong economy, but that doesn't mean that it won't hurt the hotels etc. As a financial analyst I feel I have knowledge in this area.

It really doesnt matter anyway because the project completion time is a long ways off.
If you looked at a map you would see it is a HUGE stretch of road, and there is no particular reason to stop in Morgantown. Also, your estimate is complete BS. I estimate that corridor H will increase cancer in China, but that is just an estimate.

Also, if you could read a map you would see Corridor H connects to the middle of nowhere Virginia and runs to the middle of WV. Nowhere is Morgantown affected. The only people would benefit are in a small area of Virginia. Please explain how you feel 10% of all traffic coming through Morgantown is people from NOVA going to a few tourist destinations in WV. In fact most people in Morgantown are for corridor H, and CT and I dont represent everyone in Morgantown.

I am sure that corridor H could cause gas, fast food, and hotels to lose a very little busy. It is so negligible nobody cares. You must be a pretty bad financial analyst if you give some estimate based off your opinion as fact, and I hope I dont do business with any institutions that work with you. BTW, I am an accountant so by your logic I am an expert in all things financial just like you.

If you want to use your skills to actually come up with a presentation using facts based off real statistics, numbers, and research I would actually love to it, but I find your current claim laughable.

Can you give an example of someone, other than yourself, saying that corridor H is bad for Morgantown?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Just for the record

When corridor H is done in Virginia it will meet I-81 and I-66. On I-66 it is about 80 miles further to downtown DC. So it is not really a road to nowhere, when it will bring the DC metro area right into the heart of WV. It will make everything from tourism, to transporting goods from ports inland easier.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Just for the record

When corridor H is done in Virginia it will meet I-81 and I-66. On I-66 it is about 80 miles further to downtown DC. So it is not really a road to nowhere, when it will bring the DC metro area right into the heart of WV. It will make everything from tourism, to transporting goods from ports inland easier.
It is over a 2 hour drive from the virginia border to DC. Even on the outskirts of the Virginia metro area it is closer to 2 hours. Google map if you dont believe me.

Corridor H might save a commuter from the area 1 hour of travel, perhaps in some circumstances 2. I doubt that 1-2 hours extra was destroying the WV economy. I am for corridor H but people need to be realistic about it.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is over a 2 hour drive from the virginia border to DC. Even on the outskirts of the Virginia metro area it is closer to 2 hours. Google map if you dont believe me.

Corridor H might save a commuter from the area 1 hour of travel, perhaps in some circumstances 2. I doubt that 1-2 hours extra was destroying the WV economy. I am for corridor H but people need to be realistic about it.
No it isn't. It's more like 90 minutes. I know this because I can make it from my condo in north Arlington that is less than 2 miles from the DC line to Moorefield in 2 hours. My family has a cabin between Moorefield and Petersburg so I have made this trip plenty of times. That time is of course without traffic. I've learned to not make the mistake of leaving any time after 3 pm or so on Fridays or later than noon on a Saturday. If there was a four lane from I-81 to the WV state line it would take even less time. Virginia is mostly not interested in building it because they are afraid it will cause sprawl from the greater DC area to spread farther into the Shenandoah Valley. And VDOT is broke.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
You completely missed my point. Let's break it down using my old hometown as an example. I have family in charleston, wv and used to live in romney, wv in hampshire county. Use mapquest I would go through morgantown. With corridor h built I would use that highway to get to charleston bypassing morgantown because this would be faster. So anyone traveling from say romney to charleston would never go through morgantown. This would be true for several locations on a map. So yea less travelers equals less money spent on gas, hotels, food, etc.
You are spot on with this. I grew up in Charleston and still have a lot of family there. It would be considerably faster to take a four lane Corridor H from I-81 in Virginia to I-79 in Weston down to Charleston. Compare that to having to go clear up 270 to 70 to 68 to Morgantown and then down to Charleston.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
LOL, are you serious?

First of all I would love to see a figure showing that 10% of morgantown would be reduced by corridor H. I can only think of a few extreme examples of it reducing any traffic. I would be surprised if it reduced it 1%. That is assuming they even stop in Morgantown and not the hundred other possible options.

Finally if it reduced Morgantown traffic 50% we actually have a local economy. Morgantown is not a giant rest area. There are parts of WV where the BP and McDonalds might be the main economic activity, a good portion of corridor H actually. Morgantown doesnt have one of the best economies in the country because of food, gas, and lodging. However, this scenario doesnt even apply since corridor H doesnt even affect Morgantown.

I am not even against Corridor H, per se. I am against a wasteful project that wont impact this state when Morgantown, which is now the most important city in WV, needs better infrastructure. Morgantown is not asking a 100+ mile highway to the middle of nowhere, but the widening of some roads, and 1 or 2 dozen miles of new roads. Once Morgantown gets the very basics that it should have gotten a long time I would fully support Corridor H. It is an issue of priorities. Important ones first, and then other ones.

Although you do make a good point. What will Morgantown do if you would get your gas somewhere else, LULZ.
I don't think we'd miss the Romney to Charleston traffic very much. I mean, we'd be sorry to see him not stop by and everything, but in the picture of things I don't think traffic headed to either place has much to do with what is going on here. I agree with you that if they give us the infrastructure we desperately need, I would have no problem supporting such projects anywhere in the state, but they need to get their priorities in order. The dozen miles of new construction we need here should easily trump the stuff they are doing.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 AM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I don't think we'd miss the Romney to Charleston traffic very much. I mean, we'd be sorry to see him not stop by and everything, but in the picture of things I don't think traffic headed to either place has much to do with what is going on here. I agree with you that if they give us the infrastructure we desperately need, I would have no problem supporting such projects anywhere in the state, but they need to get their priorities in order. The dozen miles of new construction we need here should easily trump the stuff they are doing.
That was just an example but it really doesn't matter I was just giving a thought about different traffic patterns in regards to east to west travel through wv. I was unaware I was going to get slammed for breing up nothing more then an observation. I spend a lot of time in Morgantown so it isn't like I am anti motown. Corridor H, however, is not a good example of unfair spending in wv. All of the corridors in appalachia were thought of at the same time in the 50's and 60's and corridor h just happens to be the last to get completed so it is not as if this is a new proposal. If anything it's unfair for the people in these counties to have a road take 50 years and going to be completed.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Could we put in place a plan for Wv for the next 100 years....unless we learn personal levitation for transportation, we will be stuck on the ground.

It's not all about what we need right now...there is a future coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia