U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

5,276 posts, read 7,399,231 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day about some of our small communities and towns in WV, that are either untouched by development or not anywhere near what they could be. And some of these areas could really take off in the not so far away future. I made a short list of both towns and communities that I feel will someday see growth due to location or the recent gas industry boom. Here are a few.

Moorefield (Hardy County)

For some reason this town is not even close to what it could become. It is so close to WV's main tourism attractions, and yet it has so little in terms of people and business. I think once we finally get Corridor H done, Moorefield will boom due to its location right off the highway. I can see lots of new hotels, restaurants, and maybe even some population growth.

Flatwoods/Sutton/Gassaway (Braxton County)

Right now this area is seeing some growth with a few new businesses off exit 67 in Flatwoods. But for some reason I feel that this area will take off one day. It is right in the middle of both the state and the all importat I-79. There isn't any other business from it to Weston and Elkview. the Days Inn hotel is a big plus, and its really close to some state parks and large recreation areas. I wouldn't be suprized to see some growth here.

Elkview/Pinch (Kanawha County)

Of course this is my community, but I can honestly see some development here soon. Right now we are getting a couple of new businesses, the population has been on an increase, and its the only real suburban area north of Charleston. i just heard this weekend that they are building a Penn Station next to the new Autozone. They keep building new townhomes and subdivisions, and I expect with the economy in Charleston doing so good that this area will see some more growth.

Qunicy (Kanawha County)

This area isn't a real attractive place, but its location is just too good for business not to eventually come here. The new Walmart will probably attract a couple of other chain stores and businesses, and its right off of the Turnpike. And its so close to Charleston that it would be weird if it didn't. Plus there is already alot of people in that area.

West Clarksburg/Salem (Harrison County)

It buggs me to death that there is absolutely nothing on the western side of Clarksburg. No nice gas station, no fast food, no small grocery store, no hotels, not anything!!! I know that there is alot along 79, but there has to be something along US 50 on that side of town. This area should have atleast a decent gas station, but yet there isn't even a crummy Exxon or Gomart. I want to see something happen to this side of town before 2015 or I'll build stuff myself!

Now that I've ranted on for a couple of mins, now it is your turn. Please share with us which area you this has a decent shot of growing in the next few decades. Please don't use towns that have already seen alot of growth, or use larger towns like Mtown/Beckley/Pburg/ect.....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,365,147 times
If I was spending capital, I would do near Grafton and the area of Beckley near the new Boy Scout facility.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
If I was spending capital, I would do near Grafton and the area of Beckley near the new Boy Scout facility.
Grafton? wouldn't picture it, but can see Fayatte County taking off soon.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,890,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Grafton doesnt have much going on, but it is near Morgantown which is booming. I wouldnt be surprised if it became a cheaper commuter city to Morgantown.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,270,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'd go with Grafton. The Fayette development is highly seasonal and Grafton is much closer to real population centers and "wet" natural gas.

Personally, I see further development at Cheat Lake taking off like a rocket, and the area between Morgantown and Fairmont, and Morgantown and Mount Morris as naturals.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,890,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'd go with Grafton. The Fayette development is highly seasonal and Grafton is much closer to real population centers and "wet" natural gas.

Personally, I see further development at Cheat Lake taking off like a rocket, and the area between Morgantown and Fairmont, and Morgantown and Mount Morris as naturals.
Cheat Lake is expensive, and not just by WV standards. Also most of the land is bought. I hope it doesnt develop more or it will lose the charm that made it so nice.

I can see parts of Preston County growing and becoming a suburb of Morgantown.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,270,674 times
Right, but North of Cheat Lake is a lot of undeveloped land between there and Uniontown. That is going to be developed. I don't think Cheat Lake per se will see a lot more development, but the area will see it.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM

552 posts, read 667,399 times
I have to continue with my thoughts on the eastern end of the state. Charles town is basically becoming a boom town, but I wouldn't consider it up and coming since its already getting there. I'm from hampshire county and they have seen a healthy growth of about 10%, hampshire and hardy are similar in growth and population though hampshire has more land and a little larger population, but very similar. If I were investing in these areas I would shoot for wardensville in hardy and capon bridge in hampshire. Berkeley springs would be a good pick in morgan county. If you were going for up and coming in berkeley and jefferson I would say kearneysville with new government jobs via irs and the va hospital. Shepherdstown is an up and coming college town, inwood where I live is a haven for town houses which I hate. I still say the further you get to the va line in the northeast end of the state the better the investment and the figures prove that. However, you won't find as much character or downtown vibe as you would in some WV cities it's basically suburbia in my area filled with chain stores and restaraunts, with remnants of some family owned businesses. Btw I think there are a lot of great places to invest in WV but have to disagree with grafton, I just don't see it.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,365,147 times
Nobody thought anything was ever going to happen in Mobley either....ha ha ha

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Nobody thought anything was ever going to happen in Mobley either....ha ha ha

LOL

If 68 would every expand, then I'd say Mobley would be first on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia