Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

Friendly City Is Proclaimed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
That's good news for the entire region!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
I have family in Buckhannon/Elkins areas and they are even saying that those areas are seeing lot's of activity within the gas sector.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM

I think the activity we are seeing in most of the state is dry gas activity that will be largely curtailed short term as long as the price of "natural" methane gas is low like it is today. The activity in the Northern Panhandle, on the other hand, is related to the very large amount of "wet" gas to be found in that region. That gas has enormous potential regardless of natural gas prices due to the other products that can be made from the gas. Development in the Wheeling-Mounndsville-New Martinsville region will be ongoing indefinitely for that reason, per reports that I am reading. From Wheeling to New Martinsville, we can expect a huge and continuous boom.

That money will go to many areas too including state government. Just for gas royalties, many people are suddenly very wealthy. I reported earlier that I have a 95 year old uncle who leased his natural gas rights on just 125 acres for 5 years and already has received a payment of more than $600,000. That does not count substantial royalties. And, the land in question is of little use for any other purpose being largely on steep hillsides and so forth. Nobody could have seen this coming. Perviously borderline useless land is now worth a fortune. Ohio County property appraisals are WAY up from just last year alone and the trend is expected to continue. What is under the land is worth a lot more than the land itself. See this link regarding nearby Marshall County:

Gas Drilling Boosts Assessed Property Values by 17.5 Percent - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
Is there some map that shows where these "wet" gases are located?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Can;t find a map handy, but roughly, the NP down to Wetzel/Tyler counties, plus the Ohio counties across the river from those counties and the Pennsylvania counties adjacent... Greene and Washington counties, primarily.

The amount of "wet" gases decreases as you move north and east. Which is why the Weirton-Wheeling-New Martinsville region would be ideal for a cracker (and why Caiman already has a small cracker in Cameron).

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
Thanks. Keep seeing references to this so-called "wet gas" and wondered if it was restricted to one certain area. Nonetheless, from what I've read, no matter where a cracker facility is located the economic benefits will extend well out from the plant with all the downstream plants. As I always say, development anywhere in West Virginia is good if it's done right, whether it's in my back yard or somebody else's.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Can;t find a map handy, but roughly, the NP down to Wetzel/Tyler counties, plus the Ohio counties across the river from those counties and the Pennsylvania counties adjacent... Greene and Washington counties, primarily.

The amount of "wet" gases decreases as you move north and east. Which is why the Weirton-Wheeling-New Martinsville region would be ideal for a cracker (and why Caiman already has a small cracker in Cameron).
Yes, as you go south there is less gas and it is more expensive. Wheeling has the best deposits in WV. Hopefully it can revive a once strong city.

Imagine if Wheeling had the same kind of economy Morgantown and the EP has. The state could be saved, and the criminals thrown out.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Thanks. Keep seeing references to this so-called "wet gas" and wondered if it was restricted to one certain area. Nonetheless, from what I've read, no matter where a cracker facility is located the economic benefits will extend well out from the plant with all the downstream plants. As I always say, development anywhere in West Virginia is good if it's done right, whether it's in my back yard or somebody else's.
It will have benefits both upstream and downstream. Being located on the Ohio River provides great opportunities for transport of the finished products upstream to Pittsburgh as well as downstream to Cincinnati and Louisville. Towns all along the route will have access to a ready supply of raw materials for plastic manufacturing which is why (my crystal ball) I would also predict a resurgence for Parkersburg and Huntington manufacturing industries in my forecast.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I'm happy...lol we leased our gas rights about 4 years ago and they have yet to drill on our property.... they've basically paid us for nothing... it was only a 5 year lease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia