Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

*should read: rental home, to start lease* sorry, that was not there when I proofed it.
Hi, I will be moving to the Elkins area for a job in May/beginning of June, and we need to find a rental home within a 20-30 min drive. Not really interested in apartments/townhomes. We have well-behaved, well cared for, trained med-large size dogs (I am graduating veterinary school in May with an emphasis on dog & cat behavior) and would be willing to pay a pet deposit, have carpets professionally cleaned, etc. Looking for a 2+ bedrooms/2+ bathrooms with a large yard, either fenced or with the option of us adding a fence, the more rural the better. We would really like to ideally have some acreage with it. The renters would be a young couple with professional, stable jobs. We would need at least 12-1300 sq ft.

We wouldn't mind buying something that fit this criteria with some acreage, enough for 2 horses at least. Would need to be within 10-15 min driving time of Elkins, and I would guess we would like to stay under $170,000.

We have looked and looked and haven't had many leads at all, just a couple and the places ended up being rented or too small. Have looked at the Intermountain a lot, but it mostly seems to be apartment/townhomes or say "no pets." I have emailed or called quite a few real estate companies and either haven't gotten a response/call back, or the company doesn't know of anything that matches, rental wise.

We currently live in GA, so can't just drive around looking obviously, but our family is close to the area and has also been looking some--haven't really found anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,980,861 times
hmm... there are plenty of houses available in the area. 170k is closing in on the minimum you would need given the acreage you said you would like with the house. My parents built east of Elkins in the Bowden/Alpena area and have almost a 3 acre yard, but land is not cheap in this area. The rental market is very tight, not a lot of units around... You're best bet for wanting an actual rental property is to stick right in Elkins. There are several new units off Cole Ave called Easy Street Apartments? Lots of the buildings downtown also have some units above the offices and businesses if you were interested.

You might check out the Randolph County Housing Authority. I know they work with and have some properties you can do Rent To Own with and stuff like that. Perhaps they could be of some assistance.

I can provide you with a list of local realtors but other than giving them a call or checking our their websites...???

Randolph County Housing Authority

Best of luck! Elkins needs more vets!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,120 times
Thanks for trying, but I am only interested in actual houses with fenced yards right out the door. I've done the whole apartment/duplex deal for the last 8 years, and I'm sick of it. With my lifestyle and the types of dogs I have, I need to have a way of exercising them that is easy when they can't be walked, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
It is so nice to read your post. I am having the EXACT same problem. I am also moving to Elkins from Georgia with a dog. It's not nearly as easy as I thought it would be to find a place either. Just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that I appreciate your post because it so closely reflects my current predicament as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia