U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM

20,889 posts, read 22,663,065 times

Advertisements

The countries that use NG are too far away to transport it and at the current market value its not economical to send it. Just look at Egypt. They have it and they aren't getting rich off of it. Most of their customers have contracts that is much lower than market price. The new Egypt is trying to force raise the prices they get paid and their customers are fighting back by sending their money somewhere else. The new Egypt doesn't seem to have economists with common sense. They don't seem to understand that 60-70% is better than 0%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
We have an insatiable appetite for energy in this country... all forms of it.
But, that won't preclude the rich elitists from shoving it overseas if they can make more money doing that. The rest of us wouldn't benefit from it, but they would. They really don't give a crap if the coal is used here or in China, and they are content to take our energy AND our jobs by trading the coal for cheap labor in Peking or Bombay if we don't go along with their program.

They're calling all the shots, and they have most of the power. The rest of us are just along for the uncomfortable ride. They will get their pipeline built from Alberta to New Orleans too if that is what they want, even though that will benefit only them. They will just grease enough palms along the way until they can cram it down everyone's throats. There is a lot of money in Brooklyn. It might be other peoples' money, but those folks control it and they will put it to use in a manner that is beneficial to them. Money talks.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM

552 posts, read 609,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
Where are you going to get the land mass necessary to support a giant solar farm?
Look at the huge capital costs needed... Solar may be viable one day... but it is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way from even being close...
I didn't say solar farm, I agree thats dumb. I'm talking about solar panels for homes, a lot of people already do this. After the initial investment you can create 100% of your electrical needs, or close to it. If you can afford shelling out the investment you can save a lot of money. If you pay 200 a month in electric that is 24000 in 10 years, solar panel setups can be around 10000, do the math. If you can do the same setup for 2500 or 5000 its a no brainer, just have to get costs down. You could also get an electric car then your talking free driving as well.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM

I have trouble believing a solar system could actually produce enough energy during peak need times to meet needs on a constant basis, let alone enough to charge an electric car. I have a hunch the solar system is really only practical during sunny days. You need to stop paying so much attention to the pie in the sky crowd. "Alternative" energy has major limitations.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 AM

20,889 posts, read 22,663,065 times
Quote:
I'm talking about solar panels for homes, a lot of people already do this. After the initial investment you can create 100% of your electrical needs, or close to it.
Not really. Most homes in the middle east have solar panels on their roofs. But they only use it to generate hot water. Past that they stay on the grid. We just have too many conveniences in the homes that pull electricity that it is not a viable alternative for most homes. Our home designs need to change and our electronics need to become much more effecient. The only way to really start innovation is to be in dire need and I don't think it will happen until we are down to a 50 yr supply of oil/coal/NG.

Numerous sites will tout that homes can be fully solar powered, but they tend to leave out the actual items being used in the home. They also dont mention if the homes are running on their own without subsidies and incentives.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 4,338 times
Default Is natural gas bad?

I don't think its bad, it actually burns a lot cleaner than coal, and you don't have to rip mountains off to get to it. I live near the main road and coal trucks go by every day, i'm having to clean coal dust off of everything, including the house and car.

Natural gas is a resource that is endless, created by the earths core, and is much better than coal. The only backfall is you must dig to place gas lines and some of the older pipes can burst and cause an explosion. I'd prefer gas over coal any day.

I have noticed however a lot of coal fired plants are using scrubbers in their towers to clean the waste out of coal smoke, which is a good step as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM

You don't have to rip off mountaintops to get coal. You just have to do it to get some coal. There is plenty of coal available through standard underground mining. It is just cheaper to do it the other way, and in southern West Virginia most of the seams are so thin that is the only profitable way they can get at it. They use huge dragline equipment and can operate a mine with as few as a dozen folks working. The damage they do is irreparable and permanent. The mountain is permanently destroyed.

Nobody is ever going to assuse me of being a wacko "environmentalist", but strip mining should be outlawed. It is making an eyesore out of an entire region.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM

552 posts, read 609,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I have trouble believing a solar system could actually produce enough energy during peak need times to meet needs on a constant basis, let alone enough to charge an electric car. I have a hunch the solar system is really only practical during sunny days. You need to stop paying so much attention to the pie in the sky crowd. "Alternative" energy has major limitations.
I don't pay attention to any of that I have done my own research on this. Depending on how your grid is setup you actually send out extra power during sunny day essentially giving power to the power company then at night you pull power from the grid. I will flip your argument and say maybe you need to quit listening to pundits and do your own research. I'm not an environmentalist I am a futurist. Maybe you should read your comment and not reply on a "hunch". If you're going to disagree please provide facts.

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ener...he-Corner.html

Last edited by boycewv; 02-21-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Current technology will not support such a model. It just isn't going to happen, or it would have happened some place already. There are enough wacko towns in this country that one of them would have put such a project on the front burner. The best you can do with "alternative" energy using existing technology is supplement the grid, and in a limited manner at that.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
See, this is the conundrum with natural gas and WV. We already have an energy source (coal) that is in direct competition with natural gas in some sectors. If gas wins out, you are replacing coal with something that is cheaper but it generates less in terms of taxes and requires fewer jobs as well.
Outsider perspective most of WV's historic problems are tied to coal dominating the states economy. Prior to coal is was salt. Note all other states with higher rates of commercial diversity. Competition is positive when it allows superior products to prevail in market share over the lesser. Negative competition preserves coal at all costs, subordinating all other industries. This is the most costly way to go about things bucking free markets for no good reason other than establish plantation masters.

No matter which energy source, I have the expectation they should be accountable for themselves. Fracking has the burden of proof it won't destabilize regions formerly earthquake free. Anyone's home owner insurance going up as a result of their activity is proof enough they ought not be doing it. Coal needs to mind it's toxins or leave it in the ground. If it's bad for customers, it's bad for business. If it's bad for WV, it's bad for America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or