Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 AM

29 posts, read 62,045 times

Advertisements

Hey I will be moving from Texas to parkersburg for work (just graduated) and was wondering about housing in Parkersburg. I wanted to first live in an apartment but I could not find any information online and was wondering if theres new apartment complexes in parkersburg or in the surrounding areas. I am also a Hispanic male and( knowing the area is predominately white) was wondering if theres any conflict with the locals..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Well, you are just the person Parkersburg needs. Yeah, it's 95%+ white but really there aren't any problems with race that I've heard about or encountered - certainly no violence. There's some country people who aren't used to anyone different, but they're still fine people like most in WV. Parkersburg more than any other city (25k+) in WV needs diversity.

As for apartments, well, the thing you need to know about Parkersburg is that rarely do things change. There aren't too many new apartment construction projects in the area because there has never been a demand for them in the past 40 years. There isn't an influx of people by any means, and the colleges around are mostly commuter, so there isn't a core of young adults injecting vibrancy into the city - the downtown area especially. Things in the area are very spread out - lots of fine neighborhoods - but that leaves a downtown core pretty sparse after 5 PM.

All gloom aside, the city is making strides to create a more livable downtown and city, with lots of hidden gems. The parks are wonderful and there are many historical sites. The surrounding communities such as Vienna, Williamstown, Washington, and Mineral Wells in WV and Belpre and Marietta in OH are great places to look into as well. There might not be a lot of new apartment complexes (there are some such as Avery Court), but the ones that are established are in good shape and very reasonably priced. You're not going to find a whole lot of blight (as you might know it) in the city aside from a couple of areas. If I may ask, where were you looking at to live, and where might you be working?

Last edited by elewis7; 02-14-2012 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I have no idea where to live but I will be working at Dupont.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM

I was looking for a two bedroom apt with refrigerated air. Is refrigerated air common? I know its alot colder then texas lol.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Oh don't worry about amenities. You'll easily find something with A/C, heat, cable, etc. If you're working at DuPont, then I'd look around South Parkersburg, Downtown, Lubeck, Washington, and the Blennerhassett areas. You could even look at Mineral Wells (where I grew up). From those places it's at most 20-30 minutes to get to work - DuPont is basically right off US 50 (Corridor D) and there are rarely any problems with traffic.

I'd recommend living in the South Parkersburg/Blennerhassett area as you'd be right between work and downtown (granted, all the shopping is up in Vienna, but you're still between the two). But really, it's easy to get around in Parkersburg so even living in Vienna, North Parkersburg, or North Hills wouldn't be a hassle.

I'll try and look up some places here soon, but I'm not very well-versed in real estate in the area. I was born and raised there, but I'm now up at Morgantown finishing up college at WVU. I haven't been home in a while but I'll check on some places next weekend when I'm in as well. Oh, and I know some people who work at DuPont (everyone in Parkersburg knows at least one person who works there) so if you need anything I'd be more than happy to help you out. Let me know if you need anything or just want to learn more about the area!

Oh and btw, if you're coming up as a chemical engineer, then here's a welcome from a fellow ChemE!

Last edited by elewis7; 02-14-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM

282 posts, read 484,483 times
Check out Lakeview Estates apartments, which is older but I'm guessing the largest apartment complex in the area. Lakeview Estates | 304-422-8433. Lakeview is north of downtown between Parkersburg and the major suburb of Vienna, but as elewis said anywhere in Parkersburg is easy to get to. Lakeview is also very convenient to the major shopping area and restaurants in Vienna.

The Washington, Lubeck, Blennerhasset area (which is where I live), and even just across the river in neighboring Ohio is most convenient to Dupont. However, while there are some newer upscale neighborhoods, I don't think there any nice apartment complexes in this part of town. I'm sure you will find Parkersburg and West Virginia in general a great place to live with very warm, friendly people.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Here is a link to more apartments in the very nice city of Vienna: http://parkersburgapartments.com/ash.htm

And here is a nice video on You Tube on the Dupont Washington works plant, their 2nd largest plant in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nC4L7wb_Mg

Last edited by Route50guy; 02-14-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionio View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I have no idea where to live but I will be working at Dupont.
I work there also. Nobody is going to care that you are Hispanic. Don't even worry about it. As already mentioned you might check out Marietta Ohio. I live in Williamstown which is just across the river from Marietta. I actually drive to work up the Ohio side. Rt 7. (less traffic) It would be about a 20-25 minute drive. Dupont is right on the Ohio River so you just travel down the river and cross the bridge which is located just below Dupont.

Marietta is a college town with maybe more to do for a recent grad. (There isn't a lot to do in the area as far as night life goes though).

Marietta is a pretty cool historical city.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Hey sorry I didn't respond sooner but I got busy with Valentines Day .... Also what do most people in there twenties do around parkersburg??

@elewis7

Thank for the information and I will start researching those places. BTW I majored in Electrical Engineering ...

@Route50guy

Thanks for the links and it seems parkersburg is very affordable. Also I am assuming that there no gated apartments which translates to less crime compared to other cities?

@pknopp

Thats great that you work there and maybe I will bump into you soon? You say there isn't much of a night life... Are you only talking about Marietta??

Excuse my typos... Sent from my Motorola Razr Maxx...

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Here is another very nice new apartment/condo complex that is located near the historic residential district in downtown, with a small pool & fitness center. Avery Court

As far as crime goes, while I don't have any stats, I would say very low compared to other cities/towns of this size. This is West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia