Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
That climate is difficult. Maybe Northern Calfornia or the pacific NW.
Not really for the PNW. The moderate areas are cloudy much of the year. The sunny areas get very cold. The closest in the PNW is probably southern OR (Medford), which avoids much of the rain associated with the more densely populated Willamette valley; however, that doesn't mean the OP's other requirements.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 02-19-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM

415 posts, read 799,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
If it were that easy, this wouldn't be such an active forum.

I have been searching and don't find cities that fit our top criteria. I haven't posted some key factors because they are just idiosyncratic enough that I can't really expect others to be aware of those conditions.

Are you aware of continental US cities with:
  • summer highs seldom over 75
  • winter highs seldom below freezing
  • a metro area population > 500K and < 2M
  • and lots of sunshine
???

If so, you will earn all the 'reputation' I can bestow, my undying gratitude, and any other reasonable request I can grant.
San Francisco?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM

67 posts, read 103,622 times
Honestly, you're going to have to give up on a lot of things on this list if weather is going to be one of the biggest things factors of where you want to move. That type of weather exists. Like someone said, in areas like CA. Specifically, San Diego. Then that blows a lot of other items on your list. Specifically, the cost of living. Weather isn't exactly the biggest thing on my list of prerequisites of where I would move, but each to their own. As for WV, you wouldn't be happy here with what you're looking for IMHO. People that move here are looking overall for a quieter life, and that includes living in a rural area. You generally have to drive everywhere. The transportation system(s) here doesn't compare to anything that I figure you're looking for. Cars are a way of life. Like someone said, the whole state doesn't even have 2 million people; therefore, the metro areas are way under the population criteria you were hoping to find. While there are educated people in this state, I would say WV is more of a blue collar type of state. Good, honest, and hard working people that are generally not well off. Getting by the best way they can. The cost of living is relatively low, but the wages and jobs are not that much to brag about. Nope, I don't think WV is what your looking for. But you really need to visit and determine that for yourself, and form your own opinion. If you're moving from a big city to any area around here, it's going to be shock for you period. Best of luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnPeace View Post
Honestly, you're going to have to give up on a lot of things on this list if weather is going to be one of the biggest things factors of where you want to move. That type of weather exists. Like someone said, in areas like CA. Specifically, San Diego. Then that blows a lot of other items on your list. Specifically, the cost of living. Weather isn't exactly the biggest thing on my list of prerequisites of where I would move, but each to their own. As for WV, you wouldn't be happy here with what you're looking for IMHO. People that move here are looking overall for a quieter life, and that includes living in a rural area. You generally have to drive everywhere. The transportation system(s) here doesn't compare to anything that I figure you're looking for. Cars are a way of life. Like someone said, the whole state doesn't even have 2 million people; therefore, the metro areas are way under the population criteria you were hoping to find. While there are educated people in this state, I would say WV is more of a blue collar type of state. Good, honest, and hard working people that are generally not well off. Getting by the best way they can. The cost of living is relatively low, but the wages and jobs are not that much to brag about. Nope, I don't think WV is what your looking for. But you really need to visit and determine that for yourself, and form your own opinion. If you're moving from a big city to any area around here, it's going to be shock for you period. Best of luck.
The problem is those great weather areas are either crowded, or very expensive.

They could go to SF or SD but it is crowded and expensive. They could go to Big Sur where it is not crowded, but then it is insanely expensive.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 AM

327 posts, read 524,749 times
No, the problem with those areas is that they are in CA. That is one of the states that are not crossed off the list, because they never even made it on in the first place. ;-)

Anyway, looks like WV might be nice to consider for retirement, but not while we're still "workin' stiffs".

Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
What sort of work do you folks do?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM

327 posts, read 524,749 times
One telecommutes, but has a specialized hobby that, at least for the time being, necessitates face-to-face interaction with similarly-minded individuals. Because it's a niche (as, I suppose, most hobbies actually are, that research is best done by other means than this forum).

And one of us provides professional services that needs a large enough city to provide clientele willing and able to pay for said services.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,225,182 times
I wonder how Charlotte NC might fit. Or the Research Triangle region of NC.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,484,026 times
sounds like you want Greenville SC or Winston-Salem NC

Charlotte & the Triad are both larger than 1.5 mil

Actually, Spokane, WA would not be a bad option either

Asheville NC is probably your best candidate city though, metro is a bit small at 408,000, but it meets everything else.

WV is a state of small cities and towns that are relatively isolated with weak public transit. I don't think you will find any semblance of what you want here.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
One telecommutes, but has a specialized hobby that, at least for the time being, necessitates face-to-face interaction with similarly-minded individuals. Because it's a niche (as, I suppose, most hobbies actually are, that research is best done by other means than this forum).

And one of us provides professional services that needs a large enough city to provide clientele willing and able to pay for said services.
Could you be more specific as to the hobby and the professional services provided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia