U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM

5,818 posts, read 3,937,736 times
I think if cheapness is the only factor and job prospects are not a consideration, then the area around McDowell County would have to be the place. You can get by there on a few hundred dollars a month and fit right in with most of the population. Odds are you could rent a house cheaply or a trailer even cheaper and you could socialize with Jesco White's clan on weekends. Jesco... what do you have to say about that?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,498,363 times
Charleston is a cheap place to live, and still offers alot more than most cities its size. I'd say a good community for low cost of living would be Dunbar. What kind of place are you looking for? Dunbar has alot of small houses that are really cheap, aswell as some apartments/townhomes ect... Hope this helps a little, if any questions please ask.

Unread 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM

253 posts, read 200,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Detroit is cheaper, but why would you want to go there.

I dont know a lot about Southern WV but it is generally cheaper than Northern WV. Somewhere like McDowell has almost no job prospects. Beckley I have only been to a few times but it is a growing city, perhaps the only consistent one in that area of that state.

The more prosperous areas like North Central WV and the Eastern Panhandle are more expensive but have the economic growth.

Some parts of Detroit are actually quite expensive. It's not as bad a place as people make it out to be.

Unread 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

549 posts, read 254,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Detroit is cheaper, but why would you want to go there.

I dont know a lot about Southern WV but it is generally cheaper than Northern WV. Somewhere like McDowell has almost no job prospects. Beckley I have only been to a few times but it is a growing city, perhaps the only consistent one in that area of that state.

The more prosperous areas like North Central WV and the Eastern Panhandle are more expensive but have the economic growth.
True, but for a senior who may want to retire on a budget they may want to find somewhere cheap. Jobs are important, but for someone not in the workplace it may not matter. Although we know nothing about where this person lives so southern wv may not be viable.

Unread 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM

7,888 posts, read 14,598,727 times
IF the OP is on a Fixed income I dont think they be buying! Problem is the OP seems to Not want to give us the Full story!

Fixed income go on HUD! Cost of your rent be 30% of your income! Renting close to Stores will also help as you wont need a car Saving gas & upkeep! Moving to another area Not going to help IF your not near what you basicly need.

WHY do you want to move to WV? More information is needed to really help.

Unread 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,909 times
I have it narrrowed down to a few cities like Parkersburg,Huntington, Fairmont,Beckly, and Wheeling WV. I have not decided yet.
How is Huntington,wv- the cost of living is pretty low there.
Do they have any really low cost Apartments, or Motels there in Huntington.
I will be moving there in July, or so. and is there much work to be found there.
Any info on the city of Huntington would be great ,thanks.

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM

11,483 posts, read 16,011,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Some parts of Detroit are actually quite expensive. It's not as bad a place as people make it out to be.
plus, if someone moves to detroit...they'll probably have to pay a lot of backtaxes on any house they buy. Houses are cheap, but mostly because there is a Detroit law that any new owner has to pay all the backtaxes.

Those can add up quickly...the cheapest houses are most likely the owners who haven't paid taxes in quite awhile.

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:06 PM

565 posts, read 480,063 times
Bemis, WV

You can eat all the fish you can catch and all the ramps you can dig.

Unread 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM

67 posts, read 41,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderman07 View Post
I have it narrrowed down to a few cities like Parkersburg,Huntington, Fairmont,Beckly, and Wheeling WV. I have not decided yet.
I will be moving there in July, or so. and is there much work to be found there.
I've lived only in Huntington and Charleston in WV, and I would pick Charleston any day if you're going in this area. Huntington is far from being cheap. Especially when you rent. And for what you get many times in the city is laughable for being livable. When we moved back from Columbus, I was astounded on what landlords wanted for their apartments. Even in freaking ghettos. Many capitalize on the Marshall crowd, so you'll have to watch that. Charleston rentals tend to be cheaper. If you buy, it will be the other way around. Overall, I was shocked on how much higher the cost of living went up period in WV when we came back. Word of caution. If your just looking for somewhere to be cheap, there usually is a reason that it is. The jobs will be fewer, and pay will not be high generally unless you have a good education and a lot of experience. It still won't compare to other bigger cities on the East. That is why the place is cheap. If you could find a place with great jobs, high pay, and low cost of living...let me know. I'm sure we all would like to know where it is. Both cities tend to have a problem with drugs. Huntington more so IMO. I would say from your list, the city that is going to offer more bang for your buck is Fairmont as it's near Morgantown and is booming compared to other parts. It probably won't be as cheap other areas, but you have to work. You need to visit to see what appeals to you more. We can recommend places, but everyone has their opinions. What makes me happy might make you miserable. Good luck though.

Unread 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM

332 posts, read 167,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderman07 View Post
Beckley is probably the cheapest of all the cities/towns on your list. Maybe Wheeling, but there, you're getting pretty close to Pittsburgh, which would drive prices up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia