U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,126,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Based on housing costs, the cities of Fairmont, Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Huntington are probably the cheapest to live in. That said, any cities in WV are very small cities, at best.
You'll have to take Wheeling off that list now. Since the upswing of Marcellus and Utica shale drilling, rents there have really spiked. New construction has taken some of the pressure off our rents in Morgantown, but demand continues to outpace supply so it really isn't cheap here. I would say probably anywhere in southern West Virginia (start maybe 30 miles south of Charleston) would be the cheapest. McDowell County would be a good place to start looking. You'd be welcomed with open arms and probably find a very reasonable place to rent.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 AM

48 posts, read 83,424 times
Whether this was a genuine poster or not, I learned quite a bit from this thread and I would like to thank all the kind West Virginians who responded!

If the O.P. was for real I would appreciate an update, and would like to add that if you're going to West Virginia for scenic beauty and all the spiritual piece of mind provided by those beautiful hills, go where there is hills. This excludes places like: Charleston/Huntington and Parkersburg (which by the way seems to be quite a big town or city by WV standards, I was surprised as I perused the streetview) Dunbar on the other hand seemed to me to be not very desirable, again I am biased against dense places with no hills in sight, and it had some very ugly brick structures. If you're going to move somewhere flat go with a place with great food like Memphis, or KC (Oklahoma Joes dry rub BBQ).

Places I am personally considering are Fairmount/Clarksburg because they have the best Pepperoni Rollsz and are close enough to hills and swimming, and far enough away from Morgantown to not be affected so much by the juniversity insanity yet still have a (slightly) growing economy. I thought people in the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area were particular friendly even though it's not as southerly in culture with more i-talians (c'mon I love some me some wops). But Beckley is heavily on the radar as well being that it's close to wonderful swimming/rafting/cliff-jumping and very cheap to live (apparently unless the gas industry has started to drive up prices there as well).

Also Hillsboro (jeje) for their counter-culture prominence, perhaps I can teach them about who our true enemy is. It's also nestled right there in the hills, I do have an affinity for Richwood as well, as bombed out as main street is. Cranberry river is a great spot, and the town has a nice aesthetic again nestled in the hills, one of the best looking moose clubs as well (I've never been a member however). It's also not too far from Summersville Lake one of the best recreation areas in the entire nation especially when combined with the Gauley and New Rivers!

The question of jobs always comes up, but, I've never made a salary. I think most people who jump down your throat about "WELL WHERE WILL YOU WORK, HAVE EVEN GIVEN A THOUGHT AS TO YOUR JOB SITUATION" come from a sheltered and fairly well off background or current situation. I hear people talk about a 30k/year salary as if that's a pittance, do you know how well I would be living... forget it you weirdos don't get it, with comments like "you won't be going anywhere making $12/hr" ... going anywhere? Who wants to go anywhere if you're able to live in a beautiful part of WV, pay your bills with a little extra cash while working 4 days a week? Rent a trailer outside of town, or a cheap apt. People saying they desire to live in DC or Atlanta??? For Mithra's sake man peoples priorities are all messed up in this ewciety that's all about how much money you can make at the expense of everything else.

Beckley is also close to The New and Gauley Rivers and Summersville Lake (about 45 minutes, scratch that make that 50 minutes as you better go the speed limit, jeje).

Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM

48 posts, read 83,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
Whether this was a genuine poster or not, I learned quite a bit from this thread and I would like to thank all the kind West Virginians who responded!

If the O.P. was for real I would appreciate an update, and would like to add that if you're going to West Virginia for scenic beauty and all the spiritual piece of mind provided by those beautiful hills, go where there is hills. This excludes places like: Charleston/Huntington and Parkersburg (which by the way seems to be quite a big town or city by WV standards, I was surprised as I perused the streetview) Dunbar on the other hand seemed to me to be not very desirable, again I am biased against dense places with no hills in sight, and it had some very ugly brick structures. If you're going to move somewhere flat go with a place with great food like Memphis, or KC (Oklahoma Joes dry rub BBQ).

Places I am personally considering are Fairmount/Clarksburg because they have the best Pepperoni Rollsz and are close enough to hills and swimming, and far enough away from Morgantown to not be affected so much by the juniversity insanity yet still have a (slightly) growing economy. I thought people in the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area were particular friendly even though it's not as southerly in culture with more i-talians (c'mon I love some me some wops). But Beckley is heavily on the radar as well being that it's close to wonderful swimming/rafting/cliff-jumping and very cheap to live (apparently unless the gas industry has started to drive up prices there as well).

Also Hillsboro (jeje) for their counter-culture prominence, perhaps I can teach them about who our true enemy is. It's also nestled right there in the hills, I do have an affinity for Richwood as well, as bombed out as main street is. Cranberry river is a great spot, and the town has a nice aesthetic again nestled in the hills, one of the best looking moose clubs as well (I've never been a member however). It's also not too far from Summersville Lake one of the best recreation areas in the entire nation especially when combined with the Gauley and New Rivers!

The question of jobs always comes up, but, I've never made a salary. I think most people who jump down your throat about "WELL WHERE WILL YOU WORK, HAVE EVEN GIVEN A THOUGHT AS TO YOUR JOB SITUATION" come from a sheltered and fairly well off background or current situation. I hear people talk about a 30k/year salary as if that's a pittance, do you know how well I would be living... forget it you weirdos don't get it, with comments like "you won't be going anywhere making $12/hr" ... going anywhere? Who wants to go anywhere if you're able to live in a beautiful part of WV, pay your bills with a little extra cash while working 4 days a week? Rent a trailer outside of town, or a cheap apt. People saying they desire to live in DC or Atlanta??? For Mithra's sake man peoples priorities are all messed up in this ewciety that's all about how much money you can make at the expense of everything else.

Beckley is also close to The New and Gauley Rivers and Summersville Lake (about 45 minutes, scratch that make that 50 minutes as you better go the speed limit, jeje).

In reference to my above post I should be fair to Hotlanta, they have, some of these most amazing food in all of the country... and when I say amazing I mean Uhh-Mazin`! ... Truly , just a culinary gem with great variety and of the best variety !

But other than that... can't say much for that sprawling gridlock and sweltering crime magnet that is Atlanta... I suppose the "Georgia Peaches" it has going for it as well, though most of the best of them are outside the city in the rural areas.

But, can someone enlighten me on why anyone would want to live in DC other than $$$?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 PM

523 posts, read 825,156 times
Quote:
But, can someone enlighten me on why anyone would want to live in DC other than $$$?
OK, I don't live in DC and never have, but I can see some people wanting a bustling city life. More things to do, certainly lots more sights to see -- including some world-famous places, and tons about our nation's history. Some very good schools there or nearby. Many excellent restaurants. Plenty of culture and entertainment. So if you go in for that sort of thing... what's not to like?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM

523 posts, read 825,156 times
I replied with a long list of great things to do in DC. That was deleted by the moderator, I guess for being off topic -- fair enough. Suffice to say that your comments like "That dc place is a joke" are ludicrous. To each his own... your loss...

Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM

130 posts, read 133,143 times
Quote:
I've lived in both places, and prefer the DC area. WV is a nice place to live and has many positive attributes, but (for me) in spite of the higher costs, DC offers so many more opportunities that are just not available in WV. But I could easily understand why others would feel differently.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Wow! Users who replied.. obvious have not lived in West Virginia..maybe visit only..stay away from the bigger citys..cost is higher..stay away from the smallest citys..no work..whoever mentioned Beckley is the only one who knows what they are talking about..cost is low and you can find work..I was born there and lived there for 27 years..I lived in Bluefield WV (30 mins from Beckley)

Old 12-02-2016, 10:28 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,126,318 times
You folks do realize that this thread if like 5 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia