Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

I think World Education figures are rigged. Media allows us to think we are behind the world when in fact we are most likely not! Example being when we look at other developed nations, our media only shows the good. It makes it look as if their whole nation is that way, when in fact most the time it isn't. American is judged on the bad for the most part. our economy is another great example. The media portrays our nation in some kind of downward spiral that will cause our markets to crash, and makes it look like the average American citizen is struggling to get by! I don't know about you, but I consider myself an average citizen (middle class) and I have no real problems on a day to day scale. heck, I went shopping tonight, and enjoyed a great meal at O'Charly's. Its not as bad as it seems on TV, and same with our education system! But it could be better, and year round schooling would help. We should never give in to the temptation of AVERAGE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I think World Education figures are rigged. Media allows us to think we are behind the world when in fact we are most likely not! Example being when we look at other developed nations, our media only shows the good. It makes it look as if their whole nation is that way, when in fact most the time it isn't. American is judged on the bad for the most part. our economy is another great example. The media portrays our nation in some kind of downward spiral that will cause our markets to crash, and makes it look like the average American citizen is struggling to get by! I don't know about you, but I consider myself an average citizen (middle class) and I have no real problems on a day to day scale. heck, I went shopping tonight, and enjoyed a great meal at O'Charly's. Its not as bad as it seems on TV, and same with our education system! But it could be better, and year round schooling would help. We should never give in to the temptation of AVERAGE!
Yes, and no.

There definitely are areas where the US lags behind the rest of the world, and some where it prevails. Like you said never give in to the temptation of average, so we should seek to improve the areas where we are average and below average. As seen here.

The US is still wealthy but the avergage canadian is now richer than the average America. Source.

I feel things will eventually improve, and the US is not caught in an eternal downward spiral. However, to rise we need to put in effort. Doing nothing is only going to lead to more decline.

As for the economy it is kinda a problem. The middle class is shrinking and a big split is occurring between the rich and the poor which is only growing. Most of the income growth over the past 15 years has been reaped by a very small percent of the country.

Im glad you are doing ok Chris, but some people are doing much worse than you. Charleston is fairly well off. Go a little South and see how the average WVian does.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, and no.

There definitely are areas where the US lags behind the rest of the world, and some where it prevails. Like you said never give in to the temptation of average, so we should seek to improve the areas where we are average and below average. As seen here.

The US is still wealthy but the avergage canadian is now richer than the average America. Source.

I feel things will eventually improve, and the US is not caught in an eternal downward spiral. However, to rise we need to put in effort. Doing nothing is only going to lead to more decline.

As for the economy it is kinda a problem. The middle class is shrinking and a big split is occurring between the rich and the poor which is only growing. Most of the income growth over the past 15 years has been reaped by a very small percent of the country.

Im glad you are doing ok Chris, but some people are doing much worse than you. Charleston is fairly well off. Go a little South and see how the average WVian does.
The funny thing about Canada is that their immigration laws. My friend was born in Africa and as a child tried moving to Canada because his father had dual citizenship with it and the US. They weren't allowed to immigrate into Canada because they "they were too poor to be citizens, but too rich to be immigrants". Things like this allow Canada to rigg their stats. Also Canada has far less people, making it easier for higher income averages. Still Canada is a progressive county that has done well for itself in recent years. just too cold for me!

The Middle Class is losing a little ground, but what we call poor in this country is still in the top 10% of the world. Now I'm not rooting for our country to lose the middle class, but I'm juts saying that American's have it made no matter if they make $500,000 or $23,000. I've seen 3rd world countries that make the worst parts of Southern WV look like The Hampton's in comparison. Sure there is still poverty and some are doing bad, but our nation is alot stronger than the media gives us credit. Jobs have been a problem for our country, which is a big deal, but once we get this monkey off our shoulders (economy) that will change.

I'm an optimist, I look at the advantages rather than the negatives. The US is still the World's largest economy, still in my opinion has the best public school system, and still has the best quality of life among other high points. The average American still has more opportunities than the majority of the rest of our planet.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The funny thing about Canada is that their immigration laws. My friend was born in Africa and as a child tried moving to Canada because his father had dual citizenship with it and the US. They weren't allowed to immigrate into Canada because they "they were too poor to be citizens, but too rich to be immigrants". Things like this allow Canada to rigg their stats. Also Canada has far less people, making it easier for higher income averages. Still Canada is a progressive county that has done well for itself in recent years. just too cold for me!

The Middle Class is losing a little ground, but what we call poor in this country is still in the top 10% of the world. Now I'm not rooting for our country to lose the middle class, but I'm juts saying that American's have it made no matter if they make $500,000 or $23,000. I've seen 3rd world countries that make the worst parts of Southern WV look like The Hampton's in comparison. Sure there is still poverty and some are doing bad, but our nation is alot stronger than the media gives us credit. Jobs have been a problem for our country, which is a big deal, but once we get this monkey off our shoulders (economy) that will change.

I'm an optimist, I look at the advantages rather than the negatives. The US is still the World's largest economy, still in my opinion has the best public school system, and still has the best quality of life among other high points. The average American still has more opportunities than the majority of the rest of our planet.
My wife is Brazilian. They are improving and you can see that every time you go there. The us is stagnant right now.

Our university system is the best in the world but primary education we are like #20.

I would have agreed about the opportunity 20 years ago, but not now.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
So your argument is based around a question you asked over the internet?

Are you the same guy who wanted evidence that being near a strip mine has bad health effects, received the evidence, refused to read it, and than dismissed it?
I never argued that mines were healthy.

Quote:
Anywhere, here are some articles on the advantages and disadvantages of year around schooling. I assure you they are more scientific than asking a question over the internet.
So I open the non pdf first and it's an argument for more school days. Quite a few more. Earlier it was argued that this isn't an argument for more school days, just the days off spread out more.

Which is it?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never argued that mines were healthy.

So I open the non pdf first and it's an argument for more school days. Quite a few more. Earlier it was argued that this isn't an argument for more school days, just the days off spread out more.

Which is it?
Depends on the person...

You could have the current system but add more days or you could have year around schooling and have less days. You are getting sidetracked.

Also I do remember you now. I was thinking there was 2 people making the same kind of mistakes but thankfully it is just you again.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Depends on the person...

You could have the current system but add more days or you could have year around schooling and have less days. You are getting sidetracked.

Also I do remember you now. I was thinking there was 2 people making the same kind of mistakes but thankfully it is just you again.

Quote:
They spend the same amount of time in and out of school. Their vacation is just broken into smaller periods 1-3 weeks at a time, several times a year, instead of one long 3 month period where they forget everything.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Yes like I said year around schooling can have just as much time off as the current system. What are you confused about?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yes like I said year around schooling can have just as much time off as the current system. What are you confused about?
Still trying to figure out the exact argument and the reasons for them.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Still trying to figure out the exact argument and the reasons for them.
I posted several links with advantages, and even disadvantages of year around schooling. I would love to have a discussion about it based on what I posted, which is a step up from your childhood experiences and asking people a question over the internet.

You got off in a tangent about the number of days off. It is kinda irrelevant. The current system could add more days and year around could have less.

What we are focusing on is instead of having one big break a student has smaller more frequent breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia