Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,479,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It would close down the area pools as there would be nobody attending them and no one to work them. Many kids make money to attend school by working at places like Cedar Point. You can rule that out. It would actually be difficult for places like that to stay open.

The graph above is bogus at that. In general summer break is more than 60 days.
Most of the seasonal workers at Cedar Point are college students. At most amusement parks, you have to be at least 16, but a lot of positions (ride ops & food prep) you have to be 18. And its not like this matters for WV because we don't really have anything like Cedar Point.

A balanced school year only affects primary and secondary schools. Colleges would still operate on what ever system they use (Quarter, Trimester, Semester).

Why would a high school student need to make money to attend school? And could they not work in the evenings? I knew plenty of peers in school that worked 15-20 hrs a week at the mall or at restaurants.

Local pools would still be able to operate in the truncated summer break and continue to operate in the evenings during school. Its not like they're out their to make money either, they're a service provided by a local government and are only expected to get close to breaking even.

The average summer break in the US is 60 days.

The end goal is to get to 180 instructional days, though that really needs to be raised to 200-220 to be globally competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,988,188 times
It absolutely makes sense to initiate this change for everyone. Summer break was instituted more than a century ago when nearly every family had a farm, and they needed the kids to do farm work in the summer. That is no longer the case. Give them a week off, they get their butts back in the classroom.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,935,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Most of the seasonal workers at Cedar Point are college students. At most amusement parks, you have to be at least 16, but a lot of positions (ride ops & food prep) you have to be 18. And its not like this matters for WV because we don't really have anything like Cedar Point.

A balanced school year only affects primary and secondary schools. Colleges would still operate on what ever system they use (Quarter, Trimester, Semester).

Why would a high school student need to make money to attend school? And could they not work in the evenings? I knew plenty of peers in school that worked 15-20 hrs a week at the mall or at restaurants.
Why would students need to make money to attend school? Really?

Quote:
Local pools would still be able to operate in the truncated summer break and continue to operate in the evenings during school. Its not like they're out their to make money either, they're a service provided by a local government and are only expected to get close to breaking even.

The average summer break in the US is 60 days.

The end goal is to get to 180 instructional days, though that really needs to be raised to 200-220 to be globally competitive.
Come on, stick to one point. Are we discussing kids in general or kids in W.V. You don't get to pick one or the other when it suits your point.

According to the OECD, the hours of compulsory instruction per year in these countries range from 608 hours in Finland (a top performer) to 926 hours in France (average) at the elementary level, compared to the over 900 hours required in California, New York, Texas, and Massachusetts. Of particular note, no state requires as few hours as Finland, even though Finland scores near the top of nearly every international assessment. As a matter of fact, Vermont – a high-performing state7 -- requires the fewest number of hours (700 hours) for its elementary students (grades 1-2) than any other state, and it still requires more than Finland. Vermont’s requirement is also more than the 612 hours high-achieving Korea requires of its early elementary students. Moreover, all but 5 states require more hours of instruction at the early elementary school level than the OECD countries8 average of 759 hours.

Time in school: How does the U.S. compare?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,131,916 times
The majority of high school kids don't start saving money, to pay for college, from a job or even a summer job until at least their last year in high school, if not the summer after they graduated from HS.

Most states, if not all of them, have laws about how many hours a high school student can work while in school along with laws that don't allow a student to hold a job until the age of 16.

Also in today's society, we have shifted to not wanting our children to learn responsibility, like a job during HS, because we have gotten to the point of overprotecting our children to a fault.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,479,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why would students need to make money to attend school? Really?

Come on, stick to one point. Are we discussing kids in general or kids in W.V. You don't get to pick one or the other when it suits your point.

According to the OECD, the hours of compulsory instruction per year in these countries range from 608 hours in Finland (a top performer) to 926 hours in France (average) at the elementary level, compared to the over 900 hours required in California, New York, Texas, and Massachusetts. Of particular note, no state requires as few hours as Finland, even though Finland scores near the top of nearly every international assessment. As a matter of fact, Vermont – a high-performing state7 -- requires the fewest number of hours (700 hours) for its elementary students (grades 1-2) than any other state, and it still requires more than Finland. Vermont’s requirement is also more than the 612 hours high-achieving Korea requires of its early elementary students. Moreover, all but 5 states require more hours of instruction at the early elementary school level than the OECD countries8 average of 759 hours.

Time in school: How does the U.S. compare?
I am stick to the point of talking about Raleigh Co. You attacked the graphs I showed, and I simply stated those graphs were done to represent national norms. No one's done a visual representation of the Raleigh County schedule.

Also, South Korea & Finland do not have to deal with the poverty issues that the US and especially WV has to deal with. You can't really compare the two with the US, as more of their children are growing up in stable families that put a focus on education. Also, By the high school years hit, our hours of instruction fall more in line with the other countries.

Quote:
Spending more time in the classroom, education officials said, will give students access to a more well-rounded curriculum that includes arts and music, individualized help for students who fall behind and opportunities to reinforce critical math and science skills.

"Whether educators have more time to enrich instruction or students have more time to learn how to play an instrument and write computer code, adding meaningful in-school hours is a critical investment that better prepares children to be successful in the 21st century," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in a statement.

The project comes as educators across the U.S. struggle to identify the best ways to strengthen a public education system that many fear has fallen behind other nations. Student testing, teacher evaluations, charter schools and voucher programs join longer school days on the list of reforms that have been put forward with varying degrees of success.

The report from the center, which advocates for extending instruction time, cites research suggesting students who spend more hours learning perform better. One such study, from Harvard economist Roland Fryer, argues that of all the factors affecting educational outcomes, two are the best predictors of success: intensive tutoring and adding at least 300 hours to the standard school calendar.
Class Time Increases In 5 States In Effort To Improve U.S. Public Education

Something else that seriously needs to be considered is raising the dropout age to 18.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The majority of high school kids don't start saving money, to pay for college, from a job or even a summer job until at least their last year in high school, if not the summer after they graduated from HS.
No, *most* don't. *Most* don't actually go on to college.

Quote:
Most states, if not all of them, have laws about how many hours a high school student can work while in school along with laws that don't allow a student to hold a job until the age of 16.
None of which applies in the summer.

Quote:
Also in today's society, we have shifted to not wanting our children to learn responsibility, like a job during HS, because we have gotten to the point of overprotecting our children to a fault.
You will have to speak for yourself here.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I am stick to the point of talking about Raleigh Co. You attacked the graphs I showed, and I simply stated those graphs were done to represent national norms. No one's done a visual representation of the Raleigh County schedule.

Also, South Korea & Finland do not have to deal with the poverty issues that the US and especially WV has to deal with. You can't really compare the two with the US, as more of their children are growing up in stable families that put a focus on education. Also, By the high school years hit, our hours of instruction fall more in line with the other countries.
As the link notes, hours in school is not the problem. Why not address the actual problem? We have summer school now for those who fall behind. Right? Why should all have to go because some fall behind?

Most kids who can write computer code most likely learned it on their own. We should make kids go to school year round so they can be a better Tuba player?

The report from the center, which advocates for extending instruction time, cites research suggesting students who spend more hours learning perform better.

Imagine that. And I bet those who wrote this report probably went to school for 16-20 years to be able to to come to this conclusion. For a kid who has no one at home pressing him to do better, more time in school is simply more time he doesn't want to be there. If you are not going to pay attention in the winter you most certainly are not going to pay attention in the summer. If you aren't paying attention in 180 another 20 days isn't going to make you decide to pay attention.

As Finland shows, it is not the amount of time spent in school but rather what you put into the time you are there.

Quote:
Something else that seriously needs to be considered is raising the dropout age to 18.
Maybe so.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,131,916 times
From what I have observed, I am not just speaking for myself.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
I am all for the learning capacity aspect of a year-round calendar,but against the financial aspect. As a single working mother,I rely on daycare when my 2 girls aren't in school and with 3 week breaks it's really going to tie up my budget to pay for full days when on the current calendar they are only there after school for a couple hours in the evenings. On this calendar I know the summer break schedule and can put money away for the those more costly months if I need to. Financially this doesn't pan out for me and I know I can't be the only one.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,842,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley51056 View Post
I am all for the learning capacity aspect of a year-round calendar,but against the financial aspect. As a single working mother,I rely on daycare when my 2 girls aren't in school and with 3 week breaks it's really going to tie up my budget to pay for full days when on the current calendar they are only there after school for a couple hours in the evenings. On this calendar I know the summer break schedule and can put money away for the those more costly months if I need to. Financially this doesn't pan out for me and I know I can't be the only one.
Yes, it does. They spend the exact same amount of time off in either system.

An all year Calendar they give you the schedule too of when they will go on break, so you can put away for it. It isnt like they tell the students and parents at the last minute.

There would be NO difference. In fact it would probably be easier for you since you wouldnt have a 3 month straight period where you had to pay for daycare everyday.

Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia