Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant2wv View Post
Charles Town is a town of 5000 or so. If she moved there without knowing that essential piece of information it's not an indictment of the town itself. It's centrally located in the EP, and is close to Martinsburg, Shepherdstown, and Harpers Ferry, and becoming a good investment as people move across the river from Loudoun county. Every community is what you make of it as you move in.

As for location, it's a long drive for your husband to work from Charles Town--25-40 minutes depending on weather and traffic--so really not in your target area anyway. We had been househunting for a while before closing and I know there are a lot nice houses in the area.
Sorry but You facts are Wrong! Charles Town is Not central to EP its Part of the EP Which takes up about 8 Counties! No EP is Not Just Morgan/Berkeley/Jefferson counties! Charles Town IS only 20 Mins from Martinsburg Not 45 Mins! I can go from the Middle of DT Martinsburg & be in Harpers Ferry or DT Charles Town in 20 mins driving a mear 45-50 mph BTW I Lived here for 37+ yrs!

Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM

22 posts, read 60,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sorry but You facts are Wrong! Charles Town is Not central to EP its Part of the EP Which takes up about 8 Counties! No EP is Not Just Morgan/Berkeley/Jefferson counties! Charles Town IS only 20 Mins from Martinsburg Not 45 Mins! I can go from the Middle of DT Martinsburg & be in Harpers Ferry or DT Charles Town in 20 mins driving a mear 45-50 mph BTW I Lived here for 37+ yrs!

Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you misread my post, which I fear has led to your exclamation point filled response.

I was commenting on the comment by the "woman on the street" who said there was nothing to do in Charles Town and the subsequent assumption that therefore it must be a crappy place to live, noting that it is well-known to be a small town, and pointing out that it is convenient to many of the other most-traveled to areas of the EP, thus providing access to plenty of things to do.

As for the travel time, it takes me 30 minutes to go from my home near War Memorial Park to our new home in Charles Town on average, and I make the trip several times a week. Not every home in Charles Town is immediately adjacent to Rt 9. In addition, based on other information the OP had given about her husband's job, he'd have an additional 10 minutes on top of that. Your mileage, and travel time, may of course vary.

I really do not wish to fight over small points. Using the "EP" in the vernacular it's generally understood to be Jefferson/Berkeley/Morgan counties, with of course Jefferson and Berkeley counties being the ones most often thought of as the "EP" in relationship to the greater DC area. Others may have different opinions, and that's fine and also really not germane to this thread.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM

Not to people Living in the other 5 counties. You make it sound like they are Not part of EP but they are. You cant judge "EP" by 3 counties when there are 8 counties involved.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM

389 posts, read 793,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant2wv View Post
Using the "EP" in the vernacular it's generally understood to be Jefferson/Berkeley/Morgan counties, with of course Jefferson and Berkeley counties being the ones most often thought of as the "EP" in relationship to the greater DC area. Others may have different opinions, and that's fine and also really not germane to this thread.
I wouldn't say that's true. I have dozens of family members in Keyser and, if you asked every single one of them what part of West Virginia they lived in, they would all say the Eastern Panhandle. Obviously the easternmost counties (Jefferson, Berkeley) are the ones being referenced if you're talking about the greater DC region, but at least 7 of the 8 counties in the EP are affected by growth from DC.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM

As my GMa told me the Eastern Pan Handle is the Pan...Hampstire Mineral Hardy + 2 more lol the Handle is Morgan Berkeley Jefferson Without the Handle you going to burn your hand on the Pan! & without the Hanlde you got a useless Pan! [Something like that LOL been 36+ yrs since she said it]

A few decades ago some Newbie wanted to get elected to Gov said "When I in office I going to give the EP Back to VA....." People wanted to know why he want to run for Gov then cut 1/3 of the state OFF! he Dumb reply was he was Only talking about M/B/J counties...Needless to say he was never heard from again!

My moto is You going to Live in WV Learn the History of WV & Stop trying to change things you Dont understand!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM

552 posts, read 734,521 times
I moved to berkeley county from hampshire county, I never considered myself in the eastern panhandle. We always considered ourselves part of the potomac highlands, and we were east of mineral. Some people might say tgey live in the EP when they live in hampshire, mineral, etc but not very many. I mean....you have to drive through a different state just to get to berkeley county, unless you go through paw paw which only people in that area do. I consider morgan, berkeley, and jefferson to be the EP and just about everyone else I know does as well. Not a big deal, just my two cents. It takes me about 30 minutes to go from inwood to charles town, if you don't have quick acess to rt 9 then it does take a bit longer. I really like Charles Town, it may be smaller then Martinsburg but I think it is laid out better. Locals always tend to discredit their hometown as boring. I said the same thing about Romney, now I miss it.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Well I Lived in Hamphsire co in 1992 and in 2002 I lived in Keyser YES ALL the people born & Raised in the area considered themselves part of the EP. Potomac Highlands is 3 States Parts of WV/MD & PA

Potomac Highlands of West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW Potomac Highlands was Only coined cause of Weather Condition differ in that area of WV/MD&PA 25 yrs ago the Hagerstown Weather whould say things like EP going to get snow tonite & The Only parts would be those trapped west of the mts. So now its devide by weather Not state or Counties. within those states.

Last edited by Katie1; 04-04-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM

114 posts, read 203,403 times
Smile Back in the Saddle

Am finally settled in my apartment in Winchester and relieved to finally have internet after more than 7 days without it. Have been getting to know my way around a bit. Today was shopping at Hagerstown Prime Outlets day - dragged the DH there since he badly needed new shoes. I was getting very discouraged about the small number of shoe stores around here (really only 2 chain stores here in Winchester - Famous Footwear seems to have a monopoly in this area.)

Saw a lot of BC and JC last week and I'm in love with Shepherdstown, but unfortunately its a one sided love affair because I'll never be able to afford it. ***sigh***

Made the DH take me up the mountain (Tuscarora Pike) to see a lovely (and cheap) home "with mountaintop views" today - LOL! We were scared to death we'd be run off the road at any time and no one would find us for days! Where the heck are the guard rails?!!!! Plenty of power poles up there though. Oh, yes, the view was awesome, but the map I have didn't convey just how danged big that there mountain is! No way Jose'!!!!

Ok, so back down the mountain to the valley below - Poor Man's Rd. (this is where we should be buying) - whew!!!! Safe, at last. Ok, so now I know I need to stay on the EAST side of Tuscarora - LOL!

LOVED Pitzers Chapel Rd. Been communicating with a FSBO homeowner since January about a property there (this in case I decide to settle for country living). Don't think that's gonna happen though. For one thing they want over market for the property and I would probably die of loneliness there anyway. I need people, and bars, and coffee shops, etc. I need Shepherdstown. ***sigh***

Pretty country around Pitzers Chapel, but trip down Paynes Ford in JC on Sunday --- hmmmmm, not so much.

As for M-burg North End, or West End, or whatever the heck its called, its appeal has waned a bit. Unless one of those darling older homes on Tennessee or Georgia or Red Hill come on the market, and I can afford it, it ain't happenin' for me there. Right now its only ranchers or split levels available there and, well, I think we already know my thoughts on that.

Stay tuned for the end of this story.....if you wish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM

423 posts, read 1,228,715 times
I have to say that I'm a little surprised that you are moving here from Richmond, VA and consider Shepherdstown to be too expensive. I realize that Richmond isn't Northern Virginia, but I would have thought that the cost of living in Richmond would still be higher than the Eastern Panhandle.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 22,152 times
Claybakin - I live in a neighborhood just off Poor House Rd. (very close to the intersection with Pitzer's Chapel Rd.). We are also transplants and I can tell you that although the area is relatively isolated (the Commons is about 8-10 minutes away), it's not quite as isolated as you may think and the people we've befriended in the area have become great friends. We're going to be moving in the near future and I will miss this area a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia