U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I agree with Bailey. Beckley could not have a brighter future.

With the huge $400,000,000 Summit Boy Scout Camp near Oak Hill, Beckley and its motels and resturants will be full...and I'm sure several more are under construction as we speak.

That Boy Scout camp will mean over 200,000 tourists into the Beckley area each year...families who will come with little Johnny and Jake as they use the camp.

Those families will tour the area and spend money.
(Expect about 75,000 scouts and their families for one week in July)

200,000 tourists mean about 20 million to the economy.

Later, many will come from other countries as this facility is an international facility.

It was a great thing for the Boy Scouts to choose Wv...she won out of 32 competing states.

A 400 million dollar investment in Wv shows the attitude and intentions of great planners and leaders.

We should rise to their level....it's time.

In the future, other things just as great, could be done as well.
I didnt know their was a huge Boy Scott camp there.

Seems good for Beckley, but why spend so much and only use it for one week? Shouldn't they run the camp all summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
 
4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
Reputation: 974
The camp will be used all year long.

Google in Summit and Boy Scouts to get a idea of how big this really is.

One company gave 51 million just to get the mountain trails in place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
 
353 posts, read 221,365 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I have to agree. One is enough, unless it can turn out a profit. Although even if it was profitable to build one in NCWV the state wouldn't fund it since they hate spending here.
The state didn't even build it directly; it was built by the turnpike authority, but has since been transfered to the Commerce dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The state didn't even build it directly; it was built by the turnpike authority, but has since been transfered to the Commerce dept.
Ok, the state would never indirectly build something like that in NCWV, or directly or indirectly build anything here if they had their way. Morgantown is viewed as the state's ATM for withdrawals and never for deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
 
353 posts, read 221,365 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Ok, the state would never indirectly build something like that in NCWV, or directly or indirectly build anything here if they had their way. Morgantown is viewed as the state's ATM for withdrawals and never for deposits.
you guys do have the largest college in the state, which counts for something as it recieves both state and federal funding.


Most parts of the state would kill to be in your shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
you guys do have the largest college in the state, which counts for something as it recieves both state and federal funding.


Most parts of the state would kill to be in your shoes.
The university does not pay for roads & government services. I know people in the rest of the state think Morgantown & WVU are the same thing, but if you lived here you would find out they arent. For instance Charleston gets the capital and still gets funding for city needs and Huntington has Marshall and still gets city funding. Why doesnt Morgantown? Im not bashing those cities but pointing out that Morgantown does get screwed over by the state. Any funding that comes here is almost always federal. Also for WVU the state hardly funds it, and it is mostly self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
2,920 posts, read 3,447,375 times
Reputation: 599
Don't you ever get tired of beating a dead horse (which you have yet to provide one shred of evidence for) and hijacking other threads? You have your own forum now to discuss the woes of Morgantown. Can we please keep this one about Beckley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Don't you ever get tired of beating a dead horse (which you have yet to provide one shred of evidence for) and hijacking other threads? You have your own forum now to discuss the woes of Morgantown. Can we please keep this one about Beckley?
I am not the one who brought this up. That was Mattec so go complain to him and not me. I realize you like to argue with me, but it is annoying how you follow me around and try to start arguments.

I merely stated, in response to another poster, that the state would not fund a Tamarac facility in NCWV, or fund anything for the matter, and if you disagree please provide your own evidence showing so. From there someone else mentioned WVU, but you dont go and accuse them of hijacking a thread?

It is not hijacking a thread when someone else brings Morgantown and WVU into it, but when I reply it is? So do you ever get tired of always trying to single me out and start arguments with me?

Also, you accuse me of not showing evidence, but you have yet to show any yourself. In fact every time I bring evidence up in our conversations you only get more upset at what it shows.

So Tim I am going to have to kindly ask you to close your mouth unless you are going to have a consistent approach to accusing people of thread hijacking, and presenting your own evidence.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
 
4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
Reputation: 974
Tamarack should be seen as a wonderful advertising expense to one of America's most wonderful areas.

Who gives a Rat's A$$ if it turns a profit or not.

What we need is a Tamarack at each interstate gateway.
If they lose a dollar we will get it back in tourist emphathy...and that is long in coming to change ideas and perceptions.

That was the argument 30 years ago...that it would not make money...thank God Gaston and Rachel Caperton had the foresight to see the talents of our people and give us a showplace to display the gifts of the artisians who reside here.

If the Tamarack venue is not up to par...then take it out! ha ha ha....I thought so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Tamarack should be seen as a wonderful advertising expense to one of America's most wonderful areas.

Who gives a Rat's A$$ if it turns a profit or not.

What we need is a Tamarack at each interstate gateway.
If they lose a dollar we will get it back in tourist emphathy...and that is long in coming to change ideas and perceptions.

That was the argument 30 years ago...that it would not make money...thank God Gaston and Rachel Caperton had the foresight to see the talents of our people and give us a showplace to display the gifts of the artisians who reside here.

If the Tamarack venue is not up to par...then take it out! ha ha ha....I thought so!
If WV had the money I would not be opposed, but it doesnt and there are more pressing issues.

Also, like I said earlier, the state wouldnt build one in NCWV or the EP even if they were profitable. It is not the way the state government works Dave, and you know that. Certain areas are viewed as being 'strong enough' so they should not expect anything from the state. Im not saying this to start an argument, and if it bothers anyone feel free to ignore it, but it is true and everyone on this forum knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top