U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

22,444 posts, read 5,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What???

Sorry, reality does not reflect that. At all.
PolitiFact Ohio | Ohio coal industry says Obama promised to bankrupt coal-fired power plant builders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM

3,286 posts, read 2,987,332 times
That doesn't back up the statement I referenced.

That's not arrogance, but relying on coal is foolish.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM

80 posts, read 156,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
Manchin tried to get his kid a free degree at wvu.

He has absolutely NO credibility.

On anything.

ERT's dad was a convicted felon for buying votes. Plus, ERT ran illegal gray machines for years and made millions back in the 80s and 90s. As a criminal.

I really don't care what either of those two mouthbreathers think.

And anyone that does, is a mouthbreather too.
Can't argue with you on that.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 PM

22,444 posts, read 5,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
That doesn't back up the statement I referenced.

That's not arrogance, but relying on coal is foolish.
Do as I say or I'll bankrupt you is arrogance.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,714,856 times
Sorry, the point is that we simply can not make all the lost coal mining jobs, teachers jobs.

I never implied to magically turn all the coal mining jobs into teaching jobs... That requires an education... I said to embrace other industries, etc. We could never just hire 10k more teachers... the student population in WV is shrinking... due to the people of childbearing age leaving the state... looking for work... over the past 60 years...

Coal miners are paid well. They do a job that creates wealth for the state. That can't simply be replaced with teachers or retail workers. We have plenty of lawyers.

Coal miners are paid well... Teachers are not paid as well starting out... that's why we go to other states.... where education is valued. I'm going to be making 18k more next year in Maryland vs starting in WV. 10 years in and my masters I'll be at 81k. WV chooses to not pay their teachers well even compared to the rest of Appalachia. And an educated individual with goals and drive to create a better life for his or her family is worth way more than any coal that person could mine. You know what else would create wealth for the state... 21st century industries... Biomedical, Research & Development, Human Resources, marketing, etc. The list is infinite... but learned helplessness prevails... "Well my daddy shoveled coal and made enough for this doublewide up this holler, I guess that's good enough for me."

No, it isn't his responsibility, but he also does not need to present the arrogant attitude. He could be supportive, show up once in awhile, present alternatives as opposed to a big F.U. attitude.

Obama has been basically given a big FU from most of the voters of WV... whether it was racially motivated with some of the older voters or believing the propaganda from the coal industry, bible thumpers, etc. I just hope he realizes there are some rational people in WV left and doesn't write us of in the general election.

I get asked more why West Virginian's denotes themselves as "west" from the rest of Virginia.

Well I get that too... But mostly its "oh, there are a lot of coal mines there right?" or "Have you watched the Wild & Wonderful Whites of WV?" It's an uphill battle with these stereotypes...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM

406 posts, read 372,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I just hope he [Obama] realizes there are some rational people in WV left and doesn't write us off in the general election.
At this point -- his fault, our fault, or whatever -- there is no doubt we have been written off. Obama has no chance of carrying WV and won't waste much if any time and $ over our 5 lousy electoral votes.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 PM

6,673 posts, read 5,010,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It isn't going to be a power source in the future. Old coal power plants are being shut down and you aren't going to see new ones replacing them. It's not going to go away next year but the time to plan for such an occurance isn't when it's upon you.
Look, I'm not trying to start an argument here, but that is delusional thinking. Coal is still a viable form of energy, and it is going to be used. As long as it is less expensive than other forms of energy, it is crazy not to use it because not doing so puts you at a competitive disadvantage. Is it somewhat "dirtier" than other forms? I suppose so, but every form of energy has its own drawbacks and disadvantages, ask the folks in Japan and Russia about that. And if it isn't used here as economic energy, it will be used in China where they have no pollution controls at all in place and there is even more dirt from it going into the atmosphere.

Coal is responsible for 20,000 direct jobs in our small state. Supressing it is just plain stupid. Investing in making it cleaner makes perfect sense. Big money owns the resources and controls the political scene. Regardless of all the rhetoric, the Rockefellers are going to make sure their energy resources get to market. You can take that to the bank.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
At this point -- his fault, our fault, or whatever -- there is no doubt we have been written off. Obama has no chance of carrying WV and won't waste much if any time and $ over our 5 lousy electoral votes.
He is playing to the wacko vote in the Northeast and on the Left Coast. The space cadets living in those areas don't mind 10% unemployment combined with skyrocketing energy prices as long as it isn't their personal job that is being lost. That will never change, but he is playing to the choir because those areas will vote wacko anyway. The Heartland (Midwest and South) might have a very different result.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM

406 posts, read 372,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
He is playing to the wacko vote in the Northeast and on the Left Coast. The space cadets living in those areas don't mind 10% unemployment combined with skyrocketing energy prices as long as it isn't their personal job that is being lost. That will never change, but he is playing to the choir because those areas will vote wacko anyway. The Heartland (Midwest and South) might have a very different result.
What's a "wacko vote"? -- one that doesn't agree with yours?

Does the Heartland not have "wackos" being played to by the Republicans?

Will I regret asking these questions?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM

I don't know about your regrets, but when I say "wacko" I am not referring to any political party. Party moniker is largely meaningless. They spout out the crap they think their constituencies want to hear then just keep doing whatever it is they do to keep the money and power in the hands of the super rich elite. That is their primary concern. They keep us peons arguing about matters that don't mean a thing to them... abortion, which energy to use (like they would really listen to any answers there) and greater police presence for traffic laws. As long as we are distracted by those matters, they can go on making us and our grandchildren pay for all their hair brained schemes and put their own money in the bank, which they also own.

The wacko contingent believes all the alarmist crap that is put out there, even though the evidence suggests it is pure bull$hit. One vulcanic eruption emits more CO2 than man is capable of producing in an entire year, but somehow man is killing the arctic teat mouse with CO2. And crap grown produce is healthier than fertilized produce (if you believe anything from Mexico is healthy you have to be nuts). Anyway, I'm sure you get the picture. Wackos control the liberal arts areas of our universities (they have tenured jobs and are insulated from the consequences of their bogus propoganda) and much of the media.

They also have a pseudo following among politicos. Al Gore, for example, is a classical alarmist but he burns more electricity in his home than 20 normal families. Are you really going to listen to somebody like that? I'll look around for something to sell you if your answer to that is yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia