Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM

80 posts, read 257,539 times

Advertisements

EPA head Lisa Jackson works for Obama so if he wanted her to stop being so hard on the coal industry he could. Manchin and Earl Ray have publicly stated they don't know if they'll support Obama same thing with Cecil Roberts of the United Mine Workers.
Before the last election Obama said that if anybody wanted to build any new coal fire power plants that he would bankrupt them. He could care less about WV as he'd much rather spend time with his Hollywood buddies like he's doing tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well for every coal miner there are two teachers in the state of WV.. Average wage for teachers in WV is about 40k... College professors make roughly the same amount or more depending on the school. Not to mention the amount of money that is brought it from out of state students attending colleges and universities in WV.
One can count out of state students in any figures where we are replacing coal miners. Not the average teacher. They are not self sustainable.

Quote:
And I'm not sure what you're trying to say... Miners don't pay tuition...
Miners have paid a ton of tuitions for their kids.

Quote:
1.9 million people in WV and 10,000 are miners... If WV politics would quit being so enamored with coal and embrace the 21st century the economy would be in much better shape... countless generations wouldn't be lost from the exodus of the young and educated, and we could develop a niche that we are proud of... instead... we're stuck with coal.
I noted it was a dying industry. Perhaps though things would be different if Obama didn't take his arrogant attitude towards coal and instead actually came to the state and helped in creating some sort of transistion industry.

Quote:
I get so annoyed when people find out where I'm from and they're like.. "OHHH COAL MINES!!!" Is that really something you want to be known for? Wyoming produces more coal but they don't glorify it like the politicians and brain washed in WV do. They'd much rather be known for a pristine environment, skiing, wild wild west... etc...
Could have came directly from the mouth of Obama. I can't recall ever having someone ask me about coal mines.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One can count out of state students in any figures where we are replacing coal miners. Not the average teacher. They are not self sustainable.

I noted it was a dying industry. Perhaps though things would be different if Obama didn't take his arrogant attitude towards coal and instead actually came to the state and helped in creating some sort of transistion industry.

Could have came directly from the mouth of Obama. I can't recall ever having someone ask me about coal mines.
- Are you seriously trying to argue that the coal mining industry has done more for WV than Education?

- Miners have paid a ton of tuition for their kids... So haven't nurses, teachers, professors, construction workers, lawyers, secretaries, retail workers, business people, politicians, etc. I don't think a higher percentage of miners kids go to college versus any other career, and considering most other careers employ many more people in the state you could say they paid more collectively.

- Coal is a dying industry because its dirty, is horrible for the environment and its just not the best source out there for powering our country in the future years. It is also not Obama's responsibility to create a transition industry for WV. That is West Virginia and the WV politicos responsibility... The attitude of learned helplessness pervades in WV. Until the elected officials in WV (that keep getting elected) get out of bed with the coal industry money and campaign financing... WV will continue its steady decent into obscurity.

- You must not travel much outside of WV then... I'm surrounded with people from all over the country here in Arizona. Last Tuesday I was at happy hour with two friends from California and one from Texas and like clockwork... They were like.. "wait you're from WV... Like where the coal mines are??? " I then had to explain to them that the coal mining culture is not as prevalent as the media makes it out to be, and that the nearest coal mine was probably an hour and a half from where I'm from. This happens all the time, its sad... West Virginia could be famous for its skiing, white water rafting, great education system, booming (insert modern industry here) industry, transportation system, convention centers, etc... Anything really! But we get coal. Cause we just loooovveeeee coal. It's done so much for our state.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,106 times
Quote:
- Are you seriously trying to argue that the coal mining industry has done more for WV than Education? Historically ... yes, that's a good argument. Recently .... no.

- Miners have paid a ton of tuition for their kids... So haven't nurses, teachers, professors, construction workers, lawyers, secretaries, retail workers, business people, politicians, etc. I don't think a higher percentage of miners kids go to college versus any other career, and considering most other careers employ many more people in the state you could say they paid more collectively.

- Coal is a dying industry because its dirty, is horrible for the environment and its just not the best source out there for powering our country in the future years. Concur .... but they aren't building any new nuclear power plants, are they?

It is also not Obama's responsibility to create a transition industry for WV. That is West Virginia and the WV politicos responsibility... The attitude of learned helplessness pervades in WV. Until the elected officials in WV (that keep getting elected) get out of bed with the coal industry money and campaign financing... WV will continue its steady decent into obscurity. I'd agree with this sentiment. Coal is definitely a dwindling industry, and we need to change the business and tax climate within the state to attract new industries.

-You must not travel much outside of WV then... I'm surrounded with people from all over the country here in Arizona. Last Tuesday I was at happy hour with two friends from California and one from Texas and like clockwork... They were like.. "wait you're from WV... Like where the coal mines are??? " I'm impressed with this one. My travel experiences are that most people either don't know that West Virginia exists or they believe that it's part of Virginia. Congrats on meeting people that know anything of the state.
Definitely changes need to occur for West Virginia to move forward, but I suspect that's true within every state.

Last edited by billscamaros; 05-11-2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 AM

128 posts, read 443,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaduke View Post
EPA head Lisa Jackson works for Obama so if he wanted her to stop being so hard on the coal industry he could. Manchin and Earl Ray have publicly stated they don't know if they'll support Obama same thing with Cecil Roberts of the United Mine Workers.
Before the last election Obama said that if anybody wanted to build any new coal fire power plants that he would bankrupt them. He could care less about WV as he'd much rather spend time with his Hollywood buddies like he's doing tonight.
Manchin tried to get his kid a free degree at wvu.

He has absolutely NO credibility.

On anything.

ERT's dad was a convicted felon for buying votes. Plus, ERT ran illegal gray machines for years and made millions back in the 80s and 90s. As a criminal.

I really don't care what either of those two mouthbreathers think.

And anyone that does, is a mouthbreather too.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 AM

128 posts, read 443,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

I wish someone would define "dying industry."

WV keeps producing near record amounts of coal every year.

With less and less workers. Fantastic!! More coal removed, less people doing it. Sounds like we are really getting the good end of that deal!!

Since 2008, WV coal production is only down about 5% from it's peak under the bush years.

http://www.wvminesafety.org/STATS.HTM#2005

Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post

With less and less workers. Fantastic!! More coal removed, less people doing it. Sounds like we are really getting the good end of that deal!!

Since 2008, WV coal production is only down about 5% from it's peak under the bush years.

West Virginia Coal statistics opening page
Yeah, great end of the deal... What's wrong with all of the young educated folks today? We should hang out in WV... simply for the fact that WV is producing more coal with less workers. ??? Hang out and praise the coal companies... hoping that we aren't on a mountain about to be blown up... We'd have plenty of time to sit around and praise the god send coal companies and coal since coal is apparently the only industry in WV Considerably less compared to the 1950s just before the first of the big exoduses of native West Virginians took place.

I'm really wondering how many more boom/bust cycles it's going to take for WV to realize that coal companies don't give two good $hits about WV, but by god you can bet they'll keep funding the campaigns of their buddies in office and spreading their b/s propaganda among those gullible enough to believe it.

I know resisting change and not caring about the environment is the "in" thing right now but here's an old song from Alabama that I like...

Alabama - Pass It On Down

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
- Are you seriously trying to argue that the coal mining industry has done more for WV than Education?
Sorry, the point is that we simply can not make all the lost coal mining jobs, teachers jobs.

Quote:
Coal miners are paid well. They do a job that creates wealth for the state. That can't simply be replaced with teachers or retail workers. We have plenty of lawyers.

Quote:
- Coal is a dying industry because its dirty, is horrible for the environment and its just not the best source out there for powering our country in the future years. It is also not Obama's responsibility to create a transition industry for WV. That is West Virginia and the WV politicos responsibility... The attitude of learned helplessness pervades in WV. Until the elected officials in WV (that keep getting elected) get out of bed with the coal industry money and campaign financing... WV will continue its steady decent into obscurity.
No, it isn't his responsibility, but he also does not need to present the arrogant attitude. He could be supportive, show up once in awhile, present alternatives as opposed to a big F.U. attitude.

Quote:
- You must not travel much outside of WV then... I'm surrounded with people from all over the country here in Arizona. Last Tuesday I was at happy hour with two friends from California and one from Texas and like clockwork... They were like.. "wait you're from WV... Like where the coal mines are??? " I then had to explain to them that the coal mining culture is not as prevalent as the media makes it out to be, and that the nearest coal mine was probably an hour and a half from where I'm from. This happens all the time, its sad... West Virginia could be famous for its skiing, white water rafting, great education system, booming (insert modern industry here) industry, transportation system, convention centers, etc... Anything really! But we get coal. Cause we just loooovveeeee coal. It's done so much for our state.
I get asked more why West Virginian's denotes themselves as "west" from the rest of Virginia.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post

West Virginia Coal statistics opening page
It isn't going to be a power source in the future. Old coal power plants are being shut down and you aren't going to see new ones replacing them. It's not going to go away next year but the time to plan for such an occurance isn't when it's upon you.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
Quote:
The only part I disagree with Obama on the policy is his arrogant attitude.
What???

Sorry, reality does not reflect that. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia