U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 21,977 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently looking at moving to West Virginia. At first I looked at moving to Parkerburg but have been reading that it doesn't have much entertainment for children and there are a lot of sex offenders there. I also was looking at Morgantown and Charleston. My husband will be working in Glenville so I can't have him commuting too much further then that. I want to know which has the best schools, lowest crime and we are Californians so I don't want my kids being treated as out casts. Any information will help. Also if there are any smaller towns closer to Glenville that are nice I would love to know what they are. Thanks

Last edited by Momof2jj; 05-21-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM

930 posts, read 1,407,697 times
It is over an hour and a half from Glenville (longer if he is working at the prison) but I believe Williamstown, WV is one of the greatest places to raise a family with a strong community spirit second to none. The high school is grades 7-12 and has about 650 students. Students from Williamstown succeed in higher education at top level colleges even though the school is small.

There are many activities for children if you look for them. I think you have been given a line of crap downgrading Parkersburg. It is no where near what you have described.

The beauty of Williamstown is you can choose the Parkersburg acitivities or the Marietta, OH activities if Williamstown doesn't have what you are looking for along the that line.

If you go the other direction, you would almost have to go to Clarksburg to get much along that line outside of sports.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Thank you bballjunkie we were looking at Clarksburg too.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM

389 posts, read 716,971 times
Commuting from Charleston or Morgantown to Glenville would take at least an hour and a half. Factoring in traffic between Morgantown and the Clarksburg area, adverse winter weather, etc. it could be even longer. If he's willing to commute an hour to work, Bridgeport would be the closest community with amenities (movie theater, strip malls, shopping mall, restaurants...) and new housing development. You would also be among plenty of transplants there, as people continue to move to the area to work at the FBI, NASA, Fairmont Tech Park, Fairmont State, and West Virginia University. I'm sure your kids would fit in fine there and would be provided more opportunities there than if they were in a rural school district.

A little closer to Glenville is Weston, a historic little town with some Appalachian charm. I don't doubt that kids in that area would also be accepting of outsiders, but small town living isn't for everyone.

I don't know much about Glenville itself, so it might be a nice town as well. Oh, and crime isn't really an issue anywhere in West Virginia. I'm sorry I can't offer more help than I have. Glenville is in a pretty isolated area, even for such a rural state. With that being said, I think you'll find that outdoor activities abound in West Virginia and its really a beautiful place with rolling mountains, abundant wildlife, and four breathtaking seasons.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,233,558 times
I would say Clarksburg/Bridgeport would be your best bet. And, living there, you would not only be close to work, you'd also be close to the outstanding cultural amenities in Morgantown.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Thank you CTMountainer and drs72, Clarksburg/Bridgeport is where we are leaning towards. Do you guys know what the schools are like there? I have one going into junior high and one starting kinder next year.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,549,402 times
Bridgeport has excellent schools... Two of my cousins went to school there and several of my friends from college. I'd highly recommend them.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 AM

79,582 posts, read 37,559,606 times
I would hate to make the Parkersburg to Glenville drive on a daily basis. Clarksburg would be better for that reason alone. You are then only an hour, hour and a half from any of the major cities. Morgantown, Charleston, Parkersburg.

If you want to see the big city attractions, Pittsburgh is an easy trip from Clarksburg. Only a little over 4 hours or so to Washington D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia