Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. Seeking info on Romney and that general area (Potomac Highlands)? I am considering putting in for a job there, but wondered how the town was as far as crime (esp. hard drugs like meth, gangbangers, etc.) and schools (I have 3 children.)

It looks like a beautiful, mostly rural area. I wouldn't feel too secure moving to a "dying" town where industry has left, leaving lots of poverty, all the kids leave as soon as they can get out, etc.

I'm not saying Romney is like that; I'm just curious. We are pretty laid back live-and-let-live people. We enjoy small town values and don't need a ton of night life, though it would be nice if there were some activities for our kids. If nothing else, we'll hit the mountains regularly.

Are there any towns within commuting distance of Romney that might be a better pick?

Any thoughts or tips are much appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 07:05 PM

27 posts, read 107,038 times
Default Romney nice town

Hi griffis,
My viewpoint is that Romney is a great little town to raise a family. I used to live in the area. It has a "downhome" atmosphere. People are very friendly if you approach them with a relaxed, friendly manner. It has lots of stores, laundrymat, Dairy Queen, and I don't know what all. It sounds like you already have the 'friendly manner ' and would fit right in.
Not too much excitement as to lots of stuff for kids to do. But the Cass Train is there. We sure enjoyed that too. Many fairs go on in the area. If you go across the Potomac River, it will bring you to Cumberland where any kind of store or activity you would want is available. I used to go over there to shop for groceries, etc. on my shopping day. Kids and I sure enjoyed it. We used to go swimming in the Potomac River in the summer. I lived in Greenville, a smaller town not too far out of Romney. near the River. I would take my kids on pony rides, and taught them a lot about country skills. Went on long walks in the woods and talked about what we saw. Had great fun in winter sleigh riding, and bonfires, roasting marshmallows, and hotdogs, coa-coa. building sno-men, etc. I am sure you will find lots of fun things to do for the kids and with them.
>>As for crime, maybe you could find out by visting their online newspaper, THE HAMPSHIRE REVIEW. Just type in WV newspapers and you will find it. Like all towns, there is crime, but not rampant. Main thing I would look for is the drug traffic. And that is everywhere for sure! I visit the H. Review every now and than. Just look it over and you should find out a lot from it after a few papers. Also the editor may be helpful to you.
There are several small towns close by, with various interesting activities going on. Large Grocery store in Augusta.
>>>In the Fall is when Romney really shows itself and it's wonderful country atmosphere. I am talking about the beautiful Fall display. But perhaps you know that. I don't know where you are at the present, but nowhere is more beautiful than "Almost Heaven, West Virginia".
Just my personal viewpoint.
wvrose

Old 09-22-2006, 07:53 PM

wvrose-- thank you so much for your response! It really sounds wonderful. Actually, Cumberland, MD was another place on our list, but I bet cost of living and taxes are a little better in WV.

I'm going to go ahead and put in for that job (don't know how well it pays yet, though, or what my chances are at it), but I sure appreciate you taking the time to tell me your thoughts on the area. I'll keep researching too.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,584 times
Default Not sure...

You should check and see if you could relocate your position to Clarksburg/Weston/Buckannon/Elkins (North Central WV) area... There is a little more going on there and with I-79 and 33 going through there.. its easy to get in and out

Old 09-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks. Elkins was actually our first choice, but jobs seem very hard to come by.

I'm a librarian (getting my masters this December) and I was told by the people at Davis Elkins College and the public library that there is very little turnover and people with degrees are working circulation desks, waiting in the wings for a "real" librarian job to come open in the area.

Romney is advertising for a director of their library. It would be very iffy for a recent graduate to get a director's slot, even at a smaller facility, though I do have quite a bit of library experience before taking this degree, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

One thing that confounds me, though, is that property around Elkins seems much more inexpensive and available, while Romney seems quite pricey and little property available.

Another concern is finding a place to rent that is affordable. We would want to rent first, see how the job and area were, before buying and setting down roots. We would like to live in a more rural setting, but sometimes it is as difficult to get into a situation like that as it is to move to a large city.

However, I will look at the Buckhannon/ Clarksburg/ Weston triangle and see if anything turns up.

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 25,858 times
Hampshire Co. a great little town to raise a family..There is drugs in the county (but what county doesn't have drugs?) There is one high school in the whole county has probably about 1500 students. Its a nice high school went there myself a couple years ago. But everythings has changed since I graduated. There are two middle schools one brand new middle school right behind the high school and another brand new one in Cabon Bridge, I'm not sure about the Capon Bridge area, it is close to Winchester, VA. There are lots of elementary schools (not sure exactly how many)
There isnt alot of work in the county unless you go out of the county...Yes, Hampshire Co. is beautiful except for all the people developing our land!! There has never been industry in Hampshire Co. There is places to work it just depends on what your field of work is. Hampshire Co. is a laid back place also, trust me there is no night life in this county! haha There is activities for kids such as sports I know there is soccer AYSO, Biddy Buddy Basketball, I'm not sure if theres still baseball or not, also Football and Cheerleading, 4-H, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, plus I'm sure theres a few other things just cant remember them all! Springfield is about a 30-35 minute drive from Lavale and Cumberland, MD.. Romney is about a 30-35 minute drive to Moorefield, Capon Bridge is about the same to Winchester, Va. As for any of the other towns I'm not sure. Well I hope I helped you out with this one too!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 117,655 times
Thumbs up Moorefield, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hello, all. Seeking info on Romney and that general area (Potomac Highlands)? I am considering putting in for a job there, but wondered how the town was as far as crime (esp. hard drugs like meth, gangbangers, etc.) and schools (I have 3 children.)

It looks like a beautiful, mostly rural area. I wouldn't feel too secure moving to a "dying" town where industry has left, leaving lots of poverty, all the kids leave as soon as they can get out, etc.

I'm not saying Romney is like that; I'm just curious. We are pretty laid back live-and-let-live people. We enjoy small town values and don't need a ton of night life, though it would be nice if there were some activities for our kids. If nothing else, we'll hit the mountains regularly.

Are there any towns within commuting distance of Romney that might be a better pick?

Any thoughts or tips are much appreciated! Thanks.
We live in Moorefield, WV in Hardy County which is part of the Potomac Highlands area. Moorefield is a beautiful 25 mile drive south of Romney. A neat little town with bowling lanes, Cinema Six Theatre, McCoy (live theatre), Wal-Mart, McD's, Burger King, Peking Restaurant and many others. The parks are beautiful and Moorefield is surrounded by beautiful mountains. Our house is located next to Valley View Golf Course and has access to the course and the Potomac River. Our community is Potomac Valley View and we are selling in order to move to Raleigh, NC to be near family and small grandchildren. Our home is absolutely beautiful with the best curb appeal in this delightful neighborhood. We're definately are looking for a buyer for our dream home!
Good luck and I'd be happy to answer more questions for you. Pat

Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Just a minor correction to wvrose's post from last September.

The Cass Scenic Railroad is in Cass, Pocahontas County. The tourist railroad in Romney is the Potomac Eagle, which runs along some of the upper reaches of the Potomac River. A beautiful train ride in an area that's hard to see, otherwise.

Snorpus

Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Romney has always been a beautiful place. Granted, you will not have much in regard to excitement, but if you like quiet, laidback, Mayberry type living (I do!) then Romney is right for you.

Don't expect to be accepted right off by the locals as they don't take to kindly to stranger folk coming into their nest and have become more cautioned due to the Martinsburg situation not to far away to the east.

Basically, you cannot go wrong from Romney to Elkins in West By God.

Let's just hope Corridor H does not screw it up as I-81 did to Berkeley.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,471 times
Don't Do It. Romney is not the place to raise a family. The schools do not educate children. There is no jobs that pay enogh to support a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia