U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 AM

78 posts, read 106,371 times

Advertisements

my girlfriend and I are looking to re-locate. Whats the cheapest place to live in this state, and whats the overall best bang for buck? We love Morgantown, but are open to others. Ideally, I'd like to be close to morgantown. I hear beckley and ellamore/upper tract are very cheap, but not nice at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,103,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
my girlfriend and I are looking to re-locate. Whats the cheapest place to live in this state, and whats the overall best bang for buck? We love Morgantown, but are open to others. Ideally, I'd like to be close to morgantown. I hear beckley and ellamore/upper tract are very cheap, but not nice at all.
Morgantown is pricey because everyone wants to live there. Fairmont is a cheaper suburb.

Cheapest areas would be middle of nowhere meth epidemic southern wv but there is nothing to do or any jobs.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morgantown is pricey because everyone wants to live there. Fairmont is a cheaper suburb.

Cheapest areas would be middle of nowhere meth epidemic southern wv but there is nothing to do or any jobs.
what would be the average rent for 1 bedroom apt in morgantown, and then in fairmont? i like fairmont. what towns are the middle of nowhere meth epidemics?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
what would be the average rent for 1 bedroom apt in morgantown, and then in fairmont? i like fairmont. what towns are the middle of nowhere meth epidemics?
The meth epidemic is really bad in Appalachian Kentucky and all of southern wv, but it is worse along the Kentucky border. It is spreading north and threatens to become a big problem in central wv. North and eastern panhandle it is not a problem at all, yet, and hopefully will never be one

Rent varies where you live in morgantown and how nice of a place you want. It can be as cheap as 400 or double that. The further from downtown, generally speaking, the cheaper it gets.

Try Craigslist for prices.

If price is your only consideration than morgantown is not the best fit. It has the best economy and highest standard of living but you pay more for this. The areas outside of it are cheaper but still more costly than the rest of the state. north is the most developed part of the state, especially NCWV. As you go south the state gets poorer and less developed.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM

360 posts, read 240,972 times
Clarksburg or farther out, Buckhannon might be worth a look too.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Clarksburg or farther out, Buckhannon might be worth a look too.
They are not far from morgantown but they aren't close.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,637,225 times
Check out Huntington as you look. Huntington is the second largest city in the state and is home to Marshall University which is the second largest University in the state, giving us the best of both worlds. We have the largest mall in the state and the 11th best entertainment venue in the world for its size so there is plenty to do here. Housing is very affordable here and we have what is predicted to be the 8th best housing market in the US over the next 5 years. If you would like any more info on Huntington, feel free to ask here or you can PM me.

Tim

Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
It is cliche but Craigslist is a really great source.

Padmapper is also nice if location is important

Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 AM

thanks I will look on these. I'm new to pad mapper

Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Check out Huntington as you look. Huntington is the second largest city in the state and is home to Marshall University which is the second largest University in the state, giving us the best of both worlds. We have the largest mall in the state and the 11th best entertainment venue in the world for its size so there is plenty to do here. Housing is very affordable here and we have what is predicted to be the 8th best housing market in the US over the next 5 years. If you would like any more info on Huntington, feel free to ask here or you can PM me.

Tim
So Huntington has more bang for the buck than Morgantown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia