U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 20,829 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I posted a while back with the possibility of moving to WV from TX. All of my questions were answered but at the time we didn't have confirmation of the move. Well....it's been confirmed and we are supposed to be moved by August 1st or a week (no more than 2 weeks) in to August. Not much time at all. My husband and I will most likely fly in and spend a couple of days the end of next week and HOPEFULLY find a place to live.
We have 3 school age children and need at least a 3-4 bedroom house to lease for a year or two until we learn our way around and decide on the area we want to permanantely live before we purchase a house.
We must stay around the Charleston area I have run into so many problems trying to find a house for rent/lease and/or schedule anything to view in advance while we are there to cut down on our hunting efforts.
I have spoken with a couple of different property management companies and am told anything that comes available is generally gone the same day. I was also advised that so many home owners looking to rent their homes use a free flyer/newspaper/book (can't remember the terminology that was used nor the name of it) that can be picked up at convenience and/or grocery stores. I was told as soon as we hit town to pick one up and start there.
I was hoping someone here may have any pointers/advice/direction as to how/what/where we are to begin once we arrive. We will only have a few days and it scares me to no end that I have nothing lined up, just flying in by the seat of our pants and the pressure is on to find a home for the movers to dump our stuff off to in a few weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 AM

198 posts, read 375,590 times
Default Rentals in Charleston

The newspaper that you were told to check is called the Ad Bulletin. It comes out every Tuesday. There are more rental properties listed in it than in the newspaper (because listings are free) but you can also check in the newspaper which is online. We have two daily newspapers in Charleston, the Charleston Gazette and the Charleston Daily Mail. You only need to look at one of them online since they share the classified section. On Sunday, they put out a joint edition of the newspaper called the Sunday Gazette-Mail. It is available online and there is a weekly real estate section with open houses and also rental listings.

If you have school age children, you want to live in the John Adams Middle School / George Washington High School section of South Hills. Those are the top ranked schools in the area. The feeder elementary schools for that area that are the best are Kenna, Overbrook, Holz, Weberwood. Ruthlawn is also a decent school but you do not want Alum Creek Elementary.

It is difficult to find a house to rent in this area but occasionally there are a few. You might want to also look at apartments/townhouses for something to have initially. That will be easier to find. Then, you can look for rental houses or houses to buy without being in such a time crunch. Pretty much all will want a one year lease. Some apartments in this school district are Greenbrier Garden Apartments (they have some 3 BR townhouse units and I happen to know that one is being vacated August 1 by a friend of mine), Victorian Arms Apts. on Bridge Road, Hickory Hills Apartments on Hickory Rd., plus quite a few 4-8 unit places scattered around. You do NOT want Oakwood Terrace Apts. or Oakhurst Village Apts.

I just checked the morning paper and found a few listings in the GW school district that I am copying and pasting below. (You didn't mention $$$ range.)

[SIZE=-1]SO. HILLS - $850. 4 bedroom, hardwood floors. Serene setting. 304-343-4928 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]FORT HILL: Contemporary duplex, spacious, 25' cathedral ceiling, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. $1,145 Lease. 304- 346-2060 or 542-5951 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Weberwood 2006, 3 BD, remodeled, 2 bath, fireplace, $1075. 415-4727 [/SIZE]
If you aren't able to find something in the JA/GW school district, my next choice would be the South Charleston High School district. Kanawha City is another area to consider. Despite its name, it is actually part of Charleston. You do not want to live on the west side or the east end of Charleston.

Your best bet is to pick up an Ad Bulletin when you get to town. Unfortunately, it is not available online for you to be able to look at ahead of time.

Hope this helps a little.
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM

Just realized that I needed to do some editing on my post but when I noticed it, it was past 90 minutes which apparently is the time limit to be able to edit. Maybe if a moderator sees this, they will edit the post above and then delete this one since it will no longer be needed at that point.

Sorry I didn't notice sooner to be able to fix it. I was copying and pasting from the local newspaper. Hope you can still read it ok.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM

THANK YOU sooooo much for all the information (I was able to read it just fine)! I appreciate it more than you can imagine. Didn't want to go over $1500.00 a month so a 4 bedroom home for $850.00 a month really sounds awesome. I will be making some calls as well as checking out the Sunday Gazette Mail first thing in the morning. And of course picking up an Ad Bulletin as soon as we land Wednesday. Really appreciate the school advice as well. Helps a BUNCH!

Again...THANK YOU!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Moving to Charleston VERY soon

You are very welcome. If you have any questions that I might be able to help with, please let me know. I'll try to make a point to check this thread each day during the next week or so to see if you have posted.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

13,328 posts, read 12,342,880 times
Looking at your original post I notice that you mention 3 school age children and renting for a year or two until you know your way around to choose an area in which to buy a home. If the children are younger than 6th grade, the JA and GW area don't matter at first. Also, I believe you can enroll your kids in any school as long as you are willing to take care of transportation. (Disclaimer: My kids are in their 30's, so my information may be a little out of date.)

Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM

GREAT information. THANK YOU! Very excited about our flight in the morning for our visit to Charleston. Checked the weather...lots of rain! YAY! We have been in such terrible drought conditions for so many years and see little to NO rain at all, we tend to get overly excited when we do experience any rain. Granted...house hunting in rain and thunderstorms may not be ideal...but we're excited nontheless.

A few more questions:

1. Is there an option for electric companies? If so...any recommendations?
2. Utilities, water, trash pick up?
3. Cable companies?
4. Cell service? I have had Sprint for 10+ years, I've checked the coverage and from what I've seen/heard...it can be spotty in some areas...but...it's also spotty in some areas here. Any Sprint users?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

No option for most untilities if you live in the city limits of Charleston or South Charleston.

Electric -- American Electric Power (AEP)
Water -- WV American Water
Cable -- nearly all have Suddenlink
Gas -- Mountaineer Gas
Trash pick up -- is provided by the city. If you live outside city limits, most use Waste Management.
Cell service -- several different ones. But, I think in the Charleston area, most people have AT&T. I think AT&T has the best coverage in the state but not certain.

It may not rain. Our forecast in the summer never changes. I always say we could just get rid of the weather people. We already know what the forecast is --- same as it it every day in the summer in Charleston. Hazy, hot and humid with the chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. Supposed to be hot tomorrow but if any rain, it will most likely be in the afternoon.

Any more questions -- ask away. I'll be glad to help. Where are you moving from? Job transfer?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 AM

13,328 posts, read 12,342,880 times
There are a lot of cell phone companies in the area. Alltell used to be here but Verizon bought them, so Verizon is here, as well as AT&T. I don't really know because I use a TracFone and they don't have their own towers.

AHWVG's info on utilities is right as far as I know.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Ya'll are GREAT! THANKS so much! Really glad I found this forum.
We are moving from Midland, Texas. Yes...job transfer. My husband works for Conoco Phillips/Phillips 66. His territory is all of West Virginia but need his "base" to be in the Charleston area.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions once we get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia