U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,319,706 times
The last bear attack I can recall, in the Eastern U.S., was a summer or two ago, down in Tennessee or North Carolina. I think it was a couple of kids, got between a sow and her cubs.

If it's any consolation, I think the only bears in WV are black bears, which are somewhat smaller than grizzlies, and have the reputation of being somewhat more civil.

Snorpus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,297,799 times
Ok if this is WV then yes they are black bears and less aggressive than the griz. They will run the great majority of the time but as I said, if it's mom and cubs all bets are off and KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. I'm sure you'll be fine. Have fun!! And let us know.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM

9,118 posts, read 20,962,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Grizzlies will sometimes maul a person then leave after they percieve the person is not a threat. Curl in a ball and protect your face and head with your hands. By curling into a fetal position you protect your stomach and chest. If a griz. starts licking your blood and tasting you, fight it. It's planning on eating you.

Bring BEAR pepper spray not spray made for humans. If you know how to handle a firearm, bring a shotgun with buckshot or slugs.
Ok, first of all, there are no Grizzly Bears in West Virginia. Second, if there WERE, and you "fight it" - you're dead.

Bear pepper spray does work. Knowing how to handle a firearm is nice, but if you don't have proper permits for it, you need to be afraid more of the park police than the Bears.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM

48,913 posts, read 45,129,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks1val View Post
Hi, I'm going to the Monongahela National Forest this weekend .... and I'm scared of Bears!! We are staying in a cabin in the mountains and doing lots of hiking. Do you think we'll even come across many bears? Thanks for any help!
the san diego zoo lied. the bears are not our friends. all the posts seem to have recently been to our zoo. dont get me wrong i am proud of my zoo but they lie to people. it makes the bears happy. they mean well.
bears eat people. they like to do it. carry pepper spray. spray a line on the ground then at them. works good.
any pepper spray works. bears dont like for you to use it. they dont tell you that at the zoo because it makes the bears very depressed. they would rather jump up and down on you a bit (meat tenderizer method) and then eat you. do not try to outrun a bear. walk slowly to a tree and climb it.
do not hug bears. i repeat do not hug bears. they will eat you.
does that help?

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM

1,944 posts, read 3,668,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
the san diego zoo lied. the bears are not our friends. all the posts seem to have recently been to our zoo. dont get me wrong i am proud of my zoo but they lie to people. it makes the bears happy. they mean well.
bears eat people. they like to do it. carry pepper spray. spray a line on the ground then at them. works good.
any pepper spray works. bears dont like for you to use it. they dont tell you that at the zoo because it makes the bears very depressed. they would rather jump up and down on you a bit (meat tenderizer method) and then eat you. do not try to outrun a bear. walk slowly to a tree and climb it.
do not hug bears. i repeat do not hug bears. they will eat you.
does that help?

stephen s
san diego ca

I do not think a bears favorite meal is human.... What are you talking about with the zoo?..... ?????

Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,489,250 times
Getting back to the subject:
In pioneer times our mountains hosted a species of grizzly called the Eastern Grizzly...now extinct because early sheep farming and bear did not mix. The early settlers had 'Hunts' to kill off the wolves and bear. Farming worked better without them.
Now we have the coyotes and the begining of the feral pig (wild boar) population/problem in some counties.

I was close up to a grizzly in Yellowstone, years ago. He was on the other side of the window of my MG roadster...one swipe was all it would have took. I can still see that enormous head and teeth in my mind. He was too close for the camera to focus...I'll bet he was over a thousand pounds...
Black bear seem pretty docil...and we have them near us. A neighbor locks his steel garbage cans to keep them out...Black Bear...like the Aussies say, "NO WORRIES"

Old 10-02-2007, 05:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,297,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, first of all, there are no Grizzly Bears in West Virginia. Second, if there WERE, and you "fight it" - you're dead.

Bear pepper spray does work. Knowing how to handle a firearm is nice, but if you don't have proper permits for it, you need to be afraid more of the park police than the Bears.
OK first off, I said I didn't know where the area was that they were planning to hike. My second post clarifies this. Second, if a bear is going to kill you why not try to fight and at least have some small chance he'll back off if you get him in the eye or something.

As for permits, I'd worry more about staying alive.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM

394 posts, read 562,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Black bear are about as dangerous as a cottontail rabbit.
You woudn't say that if you saw a bear victim or at least pictures of what bear can do to a human. You don't want to see it, believe me.
I had an encounter with a bear in Kanawha state forest last Spring. I sat by a creek and was smoking fish in a grill when a bear ran across the creek just 50-60 feet away from me. It happened for less than a minute. No attack. But it' s unforgettable

Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,489,250 times
Had to laugh, Big Al...bears ARE carniviorus...
Years ago, one of our pilots always rated close calls by what he called the "butt pucker factor" ...Pencil lead being the tightest size of the bell curve.
That bear must have been on his way to KFC, he didn't want fish.
I think that bear are losing much of their fear at our campgrounds.
They are equating people with candy bars....where's Yogi?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

1,944 posts, read 3,668,045 times
Bears are beautiful creatures.... we should leave them alone. I'm not saying to not protect yourself, but just because you see one doesn't mean OMG! Its coming for me! SHOOT IT!!! Leave them alone, and you'll be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia