U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,713,541 times

Advertisements

If your camping...Its a cinch then...and a bear fact. If your makin' bacon and getting heated, put some dog food out on the porch.
Hey! Who started this post anyway...was the camping trip a success or did the bears have them for dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 8,526 times
i am a female who has hiked, and ridden horses in a very remote area near my home, over the years i have came across bear tracks, and only in the recent years ridden up on bears, two who weren't afraid, the last bear was extremely large not exagerating probably at least 500lbs. i was on horseback and he was on a ridge that sits a-top the trail i was on about 1200ft. i felt safe since i wasn't crowding him, and he was so large i was fasinated, after observing him, i noted he was pacing back and forth, suddenly he began to charge full-force down the mountain, i was able to out-run him on my horse. however, since i've hiked this area for years, i'm terrified of encountering this bear on foot, i've purchased bear-spray, but since i hike alone, and the area has heavy brush, and poor viability i'm afraid of being caught off-guard, this is making me nearly have panic-attacks now, i can't get the scene out of my head, or my confidence back to hike up there, and i hate public-parks, going on-line and seeing half eaten corpes of bear attack victums only made matters worse help someone! whose had this same dilema!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

I expect the bear would have 'Bluffed his Charge, but with you on horseback...who knows..

I would suggest a shooting class...357 Magnum with Wad Cutters.
If your are a bigger woman....45 ACP Colt Officers Model...both with shoulder holster and 3/4 loads..
Not as much kick and the round will stay in the bear.

BEST of all....12 guage short barrel with buckshot...takes some balls, though...when the bear comes close and stands up...take off his face and windpipe, he will think he's in a hive of bees for a while.

Good luck. Remember, Yogi is in Jellystone. Our bears are real.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks David, for the advice I haven't shot a firearm in years, and don't hunt, I am only 5ft.2in. 108lbs. so anyhing with a big-kick will probably put me on my butt. I am trying to find out more on some rubber-bullets I have heard that the DNR uses to shoot the bears with to make them fear humans, its not fatal to the bear, I don't want to injure the bear, but I would like to make the bears fear humans, for my safety and theirs. Since I can access this property from my back-door, its conveneint and since I've done so for over 20yrs. its my home a way from home. Like I said only in the past 2yrs. that the bears have became a problem, I rode up on a smaller bear last year it also showed no fear, I expected it to run and it grunted and started walking toward me when it got with in about 12ft my horse spooked and the bear leaped across the road. This bear simply seemed curious it never showed agression, that same year I rode up on a mother-bear and cubs but they immediately ran. Most everyone thinks I'm crazy to go off for miles with no weapons what so ever in the middle of no where. Maybe Gods been really watching out for me, probably so. However, now that I am aware that sometimes black bears do charge and maul humans. I will carry bear spray, but the problem with it is quite often theres so much wind if you sprayed it, it would mostlikly blow-back on you. Also what about stun-guns do you know if they would work as a last ditch effort

Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Debbie:

You have just told me about your life being threatened by a wild animal.

Protection is not a simple choice.
If you come between that female and her cubs, she is taking you out to lunch...

Spray, stun-guns and rubber bullets are so gentle...if that bear gets her claws and jaws around your head, the last thing you will do is check to see if she brushed or had a manicure..

The .38 Smith & Wesson Officers Model 52 with a 5" barrel and 'Wadd Cutters would be just right for a lady like you....should not even kick in your dainty little hand.

About $450 with every thing and the gun range should be free with the buy. Get a good rubber grip and this is a tool. Just like a wrench or flashlight.

Wearing it in the open on horseback requires no permit.

Bears are unpredictable and not a pet to be petted.

Stun guns, bear spray and other whiffen-poof dust will not keep you off the dinner table if that bear is shopping.

Good luck and tell me about the rush of shooting that pistola...talk about empowerment!

Go get it girl!
Shoulder holster for comfort..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Hi David, Thanks again for the advice. Some how I knew when I started feeling sorry for the bears it wasn"t going to set well with you, and I know I'm creating a double-standard here, wanting advice on protection from a large charging bear, yet a non-fatal one. Of course there is also legal issues if I shoot a bear out of season, I hope I'm simply being over parinoid about the bear, and don"t encounter this problem again. However, the area is more frequented by bears in the spring, probably due to an abbundant food source, in the area. I am going to try and get up enough nerve to hike up there today, the honey suckles are gorgous this time of the year. I will take your advice on the gun, but for now I only have bear spray. I do realize that in a true all-out-attack having a firearm may be my only way out. Mean while like I said I hope I can some how get up my confidence to simply enjoy being in the forest today, with out nearly having a panic-attack everytime a twig snaps. Doe's anyone out there want to come hiking with me in bear-country! I do need a hiking buddy! Pray for me, I'll tell you how it went tommorrow!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Bear want to know where you are, so make noise...

another choice...a nice big dog.

Who would sense the bear before you would...and sacrifice it'self.

That prior choice of firearm was a good one...don't be shy about getting one, particularly if you are single.

One of the nicest things is to be out for dinner and see the handle of iron in your ladies purse.

Times have changed...get that shoulder holster...trust me, you will like the fit.

My guess is this:

You have been near to bear many times and did not know it. The odds just caught up with you.

We had three in our neighbor-hood and only a few people knew they were there...most of them were sent to the bear cemetery by a 'good neighbor. lol

We are all waiting for the update...lol

Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi David, I made it back ! I'm not bear scatt yet, I hiked almost to the area where I had the bad bear encounter, then I lost my nerve. I do have a siberian husky that I took with me but he is 11yrs. old and the long hikes are hard on him.I'll ride up there tomorrow and check for tracks I really am being overly parinoid. But its a matter of getting my confidence back, then sometimes I get so tired of being afraid that I get angry, talk to you latter, thanks for listening!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM

We are discussing reasonable caution here...I think your worry is very reasonable too.

I saw the biggest bear in my life at Smoke Hole two years ago and almost peed my pants.
Forty feet away, standing and looking me right in the eye...at least 500 lbs.
He was so old, his face was grayish black.

Bear have incredible intelligence...it's possible they know who YOU are...after all, you have been visiting their neighborhood for a long time.
When you are traveling along the mountains...yell..or use a noise maker. These alarms are used in Canada and Alaska with the Huge Brown's. They whould work here too.

The problem is the intimate territory of the bear and crossing that fine line. We do not exactly know where that is.

My personal feelings...unless you are very near to a den, and the females will be in that area while they are caring for the young...any bear will make his way to avoid you.

A new Husky might be in the mix if you intend to hike this area for any significant longer time..
West Virginia is incredible and much of it still in a wild, primitive state of being.

I'm glad you have the courage to explore and discover it. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia