Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 29,400 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to the Monongahela National Forest this weekend .... and I'm scared of Bears!! We are staying in a cabin in the mountains and doing lots of hiking. Do you think we'll even come across many bears? Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
You're afraid of bears but for a getaway you're going hiking and staying in a cabin in the mountains?

http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/24.gif (broken link)

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,862,133 times
I'm not sure where that is but if bears do inhabit the area here's a few tips:

Most bears will run if they see or smell you. A sow and her cubs are a different matter though.

Make noise as you walk. Some hikers put bells on their shoe laces for this purpose.
If you see a bear and it doesn't run from you DO NOT RUN AWAY!!! This triggers their predatory response and they will chase and catch you. You are NOT going to out run a bear. Make noise, talk to it, make youself look as large as you can (open your jacket and spread it wide, if in a group all get close together).

If a bear stands up on it's hind legs he's trying to get a better look and or smell you. Bears NEVER attack on their hind legs.

If a black bear attacks FIGHT it!! Black bears do bluff attack but if they come in contact with you they want to kill you. Grizzlies will sometimes maul a person then leave after they percieve the person is not a threat. Curl in a ball and protect your face and head with your hands. By curling into a fetal position you protect your stomach and chest. If a griz. starts licking your blood and tasting you, fight it. It's planning on eating you.

Bring BEAR pepper spray not spray made for humans. If you know how to handle a firearm, bring a shotgun with buckshot or slugs.

Please don't let this scare you. Millions of people spend time in the wild with bears and never even see one. It can be scary thinking about "what if " but bears are amazing creatures and will leave you alone for the most part.

I give this info. ,not as an expert on the subject but as an avid outdoorsman and hunter who has spoken with people that live with bears year round. Be aware of your surroundings, keep an eye out and take the above precautions. you'll be fine and I hope you enjoy your wilderness adventure!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks1val View Post
Hi, I'm going to the Monongahela National Forest this weekend .... and I'm scared of Bears!! We are staying in a cabin in the mountains and doing lots of hiking. Do you think we'll even come across many bears? Thanks for any help!
They will run away from you veryyyy fast!!!! ha ha I've lived in the Lower Glady area near Elkins for over 18 years and I've only seen like 6-7 bears in that whole time.... THEY ALL RUN!!! They are so pretty too. I imagine if you like confronted one with like food or something and attacked it, it would probably get angry and try to attack you back... Which I think is fair.. you attack it, it should be allowed to attack you... Thats what my mamma taught me... ha ha

Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You're afraid of bears but for a getaway you're going hiking and staying in a cabin in the mountains?

OMG Thats HILARIOUS!!! I love that animation.. ha ha ha ha ha ha

Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,269,680 times
Black bear are about as dangerous as a cottontail rabbit. 99% of the time they will run away. We camp regularly in Smoke Hole at Big Bend. (Part of the Monongahela National Forest) Bear country is rocky country...Smoke Hole is that with lots of cavities for dens.
I have always seen bear when we camp there.
If the others knew that bear were that close they would not camp in tents or use the site.
They always snoop around the garbage cans at night.
One rainy night we were sleeping in the van and three bear were 2 feet away. On the last trip in July, I was fishing and saw the biggest black bear ever, he was standing in the river edge looking directly at me, at about 50 to 75 yards. I would estimate him at several hundred pounds...his face was gray white from old age.
I circled out safely and went the long way to the camp site...
Bear were revered by the Indians because of their intelligence and humanlike tendencies.
I can't remember when a bear attack was reported in West Virginia...does anyone?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Don't get between mom & baby!!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

I know!! Seems crazy!! I really wasn't afraid until I started reading about it all today...

Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm not sure where that is but if bears do inhabit the area here's a few tips:

Most bears will run if they see or smell you. A sow and her cubs are a different matter though.

Make noise as you walk. Some hikers put bells on their shoe laces for this purpose.
If you see a bear and it doesn't run from you DO NOT RUN AWAY!!! This triggers their predatory response and they will chase and catch you. You are NOT going to out run a bear. Make noise, talk to it, make youself look as large as you can (open your jacket and spread it wide, if in a group all get close together).

If a bear stands up on it's hind legs he's trying to get a better look and or smell you. Bears NEVER attack on their hind legs.

If a black bear attacks FIGHT it!! Black bears do bluff attack but if they come in contact with you they want to kill you. Grizzlies will sometimes maul a person then leave after they percieve the person is not a threat. Curl in a ball and protect your face and head with your hands. By curling into a fetal position you protect your stomach and chest. If a griz. starts licking your blood and tasting you, fight it. It's planning on eating you.

Bring BEAR pepper spray not spray made for humans. If you know how to handle a firearm, bring a shotgun with buckshot or slugs.

Please don't let this scare you. Millions of people spend time in the wild with bears and never even see one. It can be scary thinking about "what if " but bears are amazing creatures and will leave you alone for the most part.

I give this info. ,not as an expert on the subject but as an avid outdoorsman and hunter who has spoken with people that live with bears year round. Be aware of your surroundings, keep an eye out and take the above precautions. you'll be fine and I hope you enjoy your wilderness adventure!

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE!! REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Talking Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Black bear are about as dangerous as a cottontail rabbit. 99% of the time they will run away. We camp regularly in Smoke Hole at Big Bend. (Part of the Monongahela National Forest) Bear country is rocky country...Smoke Hole is that with lots of cavities for dens.
I have always seen bear when we camp there.
If the others knew that bear were that close they would not camp in tents or use the site.
They always snoop around the garbage cans at night.
One rainy night we were sleeping in the van and three bear were 2 feet away. On the last trip in July, I was fishing and saw the biggest black bear ever, he was standing in the river edge looking directly at me, at about 50 to 75 yards. I would estimate him at several hundred pounds...his face was gray white from old age.
I circled out safely and went the long way to the camp site...
Bear were revered by the Indians because of their intelligence and humanlike tendencies.
I can't remember when a bear attack was reported in West Virginia...does anyone?
OMG!! several hundred pounds-- YIKES!! I've gotten some great tips, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia