U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM

355 posts, read 229,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Not every student that is non-white is from a different country. Ever hear of Asian Americans, African Americans, Latino Americans, etc?

Nobody said the international population was big in morgantown. It is the biggest in WV but that is not saying much.

Anyway people are missing the point. Having a slightly smaller white population or a slightly bigger black population is not the only factor in diversity. Charleston may have the biggest black population for a city in wv but that does not mean it is diverse. People are not understanding what diversity is, misreading the data, and not listening to what I'm saying.

We are not disagreeing but talking about 2 different things.
Yes, and I addressed that in an earlier post...

Statistically, Martinsburg is the most diverse city followed by Beckley followed by Charleston, looking at a region, the Kanawha Valley is probably ahead.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 3,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post

Statistically, Martinsburg is the most diverse city followed by Beckley followed by Charleston, looking at a region, the Kanawha Valley is probably ahead.
Id say in this order the most diverse cities in WV are Martinsburg, Morgantown, Beckley, and then Charleston.

Still none of them are really that diverse.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM

30,800 posts, read 35,834,492 times
What about Charles Town, Shepherdstown, Ranson and Moorefield?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 AM

400 posts, read 370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Charles Town, Shepherdstown, Ranson and Moorefield?
I live near those first 3, so I can tell you: Whole lotta white folks.

Don't have any stats to back that up, but I do have the use of my eyes. There is a noticeable Hispanic-looking population, I'll guess 7%. Probably only a few % of black / Asian / other combined.
So 90%+ white.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM

6,663 posts, read 4,984,899 times
For those who choose to pay attention to such matters, approximately 15% of WVU's 30,000 student body is comprised of students who do not list Caucasian as their primary race. Thus to get an accurate picture you would need to add about 4,500 non-whites to the local permanent figures for Morgantown.

As a basis of comparison, the nearest other national university is Pitt, and they have around 18% of their student body being races other than Caucasian. The statistics for "native" Americans are grossly misstated everywhere because generally only those who maintain a tribal affiliation are counted in that category with the rest having generally been assimilated into the Caucasian group at some level, or to a lesser degree into the other races. There are many people of Cherokee origin in Appalachia who are mixed in with whites and call themselves only Caucasian, and this is accepted as normal everywhere.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
I live near those first 3, so I can tell you: Whole lotta white folks.

Don't have any stats to back that up, but I do have the use of my eyes. There is a noticeable Hispanic-looking population, I'll guess 7%. Probably only a few % of black / Asian / other combined.
So 90%+ white.
Actually, 2 of them have a Black percentage around the national percentage, with the other 2 have a decent percentage: Charles Town, WV Population and Races

Shepherdstown, WV Population and Races

Ranson, WV Population and Races

Moorefield, WV Population and Races

Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 PM

6,663 posts, read 4,984,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post

I would agree that there are more blacks living in Kanawha percentage wise among permanent residents than anywhere else in our state, but Charleston is not the most "diverse" city. In terms of sheer numbers and percentage when students are counted, Morgantown easily has more people of races other than Caucasian living there and in the immediate environs, but a significant number of those people are not blacks. A lot of them are black, but I would say in terms of only blacks Charleston has more than the next 2 combined. Just an opinion... I have no facts to back that up in any way.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 PM

400 posts, read 370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, 2 of them have a Black percentage around the national percentage, with the other 2 have a decent percentage
Props to you for getting actual numbers rather than going by my eyes. I guess black folks and I aren't hanging out in the same places, my bad.

Still a whole lotta white folks though. But yeah, not compared to much of the rest of WV.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I would agree that there are more blacks living in Kanawha percentage wise among permanent residents than anywhere else in our state, but Charleston is not the most "diverse" city. In terms of sheer numbers and percentage when students are counted, Morgantown easily has more people of races other than Caucasian living there and in the immediate environs, but a significant number of those people are not blacks. A lot of them are black, but I would say in terms of only blacks Charleston has more than the next 2 combined. Just an opinion... I have no facts to back that up in any way.
West Virginia White Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

This could help: West Virginia Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

West Virginia Hispanic Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

West Virginia Asian Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

West Virginia Native Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

West Virginia Two or More Race Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 AM

4,640 posts, read 7,144,646 times
Charles Town and the EP does get a lot of the white flight from the Washington DC and Baltimore metro areas. Hampshire County also has gotten some DC and Baltimore refugees I know some of them. The Eastern Panhandle has a very suburban/exurban atmosphere and attitude that I can definitely identify with I grew up in this kind of scene. Basically its the kind of place where people don't have a problem with black people in general but have a problem with ghetto people, and who don't have a problem with Hispanics as long as they are not illegal aliens. Some might sound "prejudiced" but it comes from their personal experiences.

I used to live in the Baltimore area and I am VERY troubled by the ghetto influences creeping into Charleston from places like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and especially Detroit. In Huntington there are some bars and clubs that won't even admit someone with a Michigan ID. I really don't see diversity as necessarily a good or bad thing I was raised to be color blind but a forced focus on "diversity" and the stressing of differences isn't particularly good for our state or nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia