Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,974 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am relocating for the first time due to full-time employment being so hard to find where I currently reside.

I am seriously considering the Eastern Panhandle area, and would like to know how to go about finding good full-time work there and renting an apartment that is budget-friendly without being crappy or unsafe.

I would like to know what to do to relocate (steps, etc.) and how to do it effectively, without costing a great deal or taking an extremely long time, as I can no longer afford to live where I currently live. Any serious suggestions and/or information are greatly appreciated.

If you know of people or companies hiring, or know of a Realtor in the Eastern Panhandle who could direct me to a decent apartment, please message let me know that information, as well. Thank you very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM

110 posts, read 224,079 times
It would help greatly if you would indicate what types of jobs you are qualified for.
There almost always are jobs for workers in fast food, but is that what you want?

Have you used the search option, located, and read the postings already available?
Sorry, but most of what you are asking has already been covered quite well here for the WV part and elsewhere on the Internet for efficient moving practices.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM

I do office work, for the most part. Also writing, social media, proofing, text transcription, pet and baby sitting, you name it. But I need to find F/T work (it would help it if it came with benefits) that would cover my rent, gas, groceries, utilities, vet, and allow me to put some in savings each week or whenever I am paid.

Yes, I've looked at many other posts here before posting my own question. I am just trying to make my search for work and an apartment more efficient by getting more information on how to go about doing both and what to do/expect in the process of relocating. Most other posts here are made by people who already have work waiting for them or who can afford to buy or rent a home, rather than just an apartment, or who simply have more experience in relocation than I do (I have none, so this is a big leap for me).

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,892,827 times
IronMaiden,

Moving can be very expensive. If you are moving into a rental, you have to have money for a deposit and your first month's rent. Typically, people rent a moving truck and pay for gas to move it. You sometimes have to pay deposits to turn on your utilities. And even if you start a new job right away, you may have to wait a while before you get your first paycheck.

Because of all of the expense, it is best not to move until you have saved up enough to afford the move an have enough to tie you over until you start getting paid. Alternatively, you might be able to lean on family members to help you make the transition. If you are broke and have no help from family members, I would recommend not moving until and unless you have a solid job lined up.

Perhaps a better approach for you, if you are having trouble finding work were you currently live, would be to consider looking for jobs that allow you to stay where you are, but would require you to commute longer distances. So, instead of just looking for jobs in your city, look for jobs up to an hour a way. If you get one of those jobs, you could commute just long enough until you have the money to move closer to that job.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Hueffenhardt, thank you for your reply. I can get help with moving with regard to some financial assistance from family (not a great deal, however). I realize that it is important to have a job lined up in advance, but I am finding this to be a somewhat daunting task, as I'm not sure which companies don't mind hiring someone who is moving in from out of state (I need no relocation assistance).

I appreciate you detailing the smaller expenses that I hadn't considered previously (such as moving truck gas or utility deposits). I'll be sure to add them into my calculation of how much this move will cost so that I know much money to save.

I have looked for work within an hour radius and much further out (even far-flung states), and all to no avail. But recently I've noticed from my online searching that the job market seems to be picking up in West Virginia, which is why I want to move there (in addition to the fact that it's beautiful!). My state is HORRIBLE for trying to find work - no exaggeration! So, this type of move is genuinely necessary.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM

80 posts, read 222,133 times
Have you looked in to the state civil service register? I work for the state of WV and they hire people from out of state all the time.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Check this: eastern panhandle apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist for an idea of places to live. Check www.uasjobs.gov for an idea of federal jobs in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia