Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times

Advertisements

So if you know me, you know I'm originally from Parkersburg. Travelling around the state, I became jealous of different cities in WV, including Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Wheeling, etc - not because of their size, but because they felt like actual, semi-dense cities. Parkersburg isn't, and that's due to the sea of parking lots. I got bored today and decided to generate a map of the surface parking lots in Parkersburg, which cause the disconnected/low-density/dead feel to the downtown.

Surface Lots of Parkersburg

-Edit- Apparently you can only have 70 different objects per page, so they split the map up in two different sections. There are so many parking lots in Parkersburg, they literally have to be split into two different maps!

Oh boy, this is bad.

The red represents surface lots (with the darkest red where the old city building used to be - it has been a parking lot my whole life. Picture), the light red/pink are car dealers, and green are the parking garages. At least 65% of the city block land is parking. Goodness.

If I have time later, I might do a similar map for some of the larger cities in the state and actually do the math on percentage of land used for parking. But today, I just wanted to publicly vent my frustrations here.

Last edited by elewis7; 08-26-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Great project. I noticed that Parkersburg was all parking lots. That's why it's WV's worst major city.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Great project. I noticed that Parkersburg was all parking lots. That's why it's WV's worst major city.
I don't think Parkersburg is bad because it has alot of parking lots. There is alot of good neighborhoods in that town, plus there is a couple newer buildings in and around downtown. Different cities in WV offer different atmospheres, so its hard to say there is a best or worst.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
In terms of downtown, Chris, I'd be inclined to agree with Evergrey. The city as a whole? Definitely not. There are lots of great communities and people around Parkersburg and at least a few things to do. The city has some of the best park areas in the state, great schools, plenty of retail (still no Target, though), and an underrated arts community. I grew up there, and even though I loved the city and surrounding areas, part of me is still an urbanite and a lot of the pride of a city is found in the quality of its downtown district.

The problem comes when you try to judge the downtown based on traditional downtown characteristics (density, populaiton, etc.). Yes, Parkersburg has a few good stores, the Smoot Theater, the Blennerhassett Hotel, Actors' Guild, and the Art Museum, but apart from Market St (and the Smoot off it on 5th), the rest of downtown is too spread out to have any continuity. Many communities can get away with this and have everything concentrated on a main street, but they are usually smaller cities. For a town that is supposed to be the 3rd (or 4th, now) largest city in the state, that shouldn't be the case.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Parkersburg needs to capitalize on its location as far as natural gas goes. Right along 77, the Ohio River, and US 50.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
I agree with most of what has been said here having lived just outside of Parkersburg since the late 80's. The downtown, while definitely not mid-town Manhatten, is still nice. It's clean, very safe, and there have been several new restaurants & businesses that have opened on Market Street in the last couple of years, along with the new Point Park and sidewalk/lighting renovations on Market and 5th street. There are even Friday night concerts at Point Park now that have been drawing very large crowds. A new downtown hotel on 5th street across from Tim Horton's is also being discussed. It seems to be making progress, but still a ways to go.

Quite a few work downtown due to Public Debt and High Mark, which has contributed to the many parking lots. It resembles more a campus on the lower, government sector of town. The demolition of several historical structures, like the old City Building or more recently the Elks building, to put in a simple parking lot is nothing short of a crime in my opinion. Unbelievably, the Smoot Theatre was even going to be demolished back in the late 80's until a group stepped in and bought it. Now it's one of the best theatre's in the state.

You can't really compare Parkersburg's downtown to those of Charleston, Huntington, or Wheeling. All three of those towns either are or once were much larger cities than Parkersburg ever was, which is why they have larger and more urban downtown areas. Charleston's downtown is especially nice, and I didn't realize how large a downtown that Wheeling has. It's very old looking now, but you can tell used to be really something in its heyday.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Parkersburg downtown in winter. This shot is from Fort Boreman looking north.
Attached Thumbnails
Surface Lot Map of Parkersburg-parkersburg-winter-sky.jpg  

Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
OMG I'm in love!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
FANTASTIC picture! Fort Boreman is a great location to view Parkersburg.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks! Yes, it's a great view from up there. I think of it as our mini version of Pittsburgh's Mt. Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia